Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 do we need semi-auto rifles >

do we need semi-auto rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

do we need semi-auto rifles

Old 02-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default do we need semi-auto rifles

do we realy need semi-auto rifles for HUNTING big game ...i got rid of mine and now only use bolt-action .. [one shot ,one kill]
Old 02-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: do we need semi-auto rifles

If you wanted to pursue it even farther you could ask the question, "Do wereally need to hunt big game with rifles period"? I mean there is always a bow.... Then we could continue and say do we really need to hunt big game at all?

It isn't a matter of need as I see it. I don't own a high power semi anymore but maybe someday I will. This type of thinking starts us down a very slippery slope. Keep chipping away at the 2nd Amendment and eventually you won't be able to own that bolt action you love (of course being from Canada that wouldn't apply).

It doesn't matter what other people use tohunt their game as long as it is done legally and ethically I wouldn't be critical.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Antler Eater

If you wanted to pursue it even farther you could ask the question, "Do wereally need to hunt big game with rifles period"? I mean there is always a bow.... Then we could continue and say do we really need to hunt big game at all?

It isn't a matter of need as I see it. I don't own a high power semi anymore but maybe someday I will. This type of thinking starts us down a very slippery slope. Keep chipping away at the 2nd Amendment and eventually you won't be able to own that bolt action you love (of course being from Canada that wouldn't apply).

It doesn't matter what other people use tohunt their game as long as it is done legally and ethically I wouldn't be critical.
thank you for the input ....here in CANADA the goverment will pass a law soon [to remove all semi- auto] i don't know why but that is the case..
Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

thank you for the input ....here in CANADA the goverment will pass a law soon [to remove all semi- auto] i don't know why but that is the case..
heinz57,
Thank you for the civil reply. I was afraid you would think my words were attacking you personally which was not the intent.

It is scary to think a government would make laws like that. Very Frightening. []

Good luck...
Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

do we realy need semi-auto rifles for HUNTING big game ...i got rid of mine and now only use bolt-action .. [one shot ,one kill]
Until someone makes something that puts out a second anchoring shot as fast I guess my answer is yes. So far I have not had to use that "feature" but it will come sooner or later and will wish I still owned my BAR's.I really like BAR's and think they are good looking handsome and very functionalhunting rifles. Unfortunately politicos here and in your country lump them in with other semi-auto rifles.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

So, do you work for T/C? Because the obvious ultimate question is "do you need anything other than a single-shot? (one shot, one kill...) Where exactly are you going with this? Since we don't NEED semi-autos for hunting, why not allow them to be banned? Frankly, it's nobody's business what is in my gun safe (and the 2nd Amendment isn't about what we need or don't need for hunting).

A few other lines of thought...

Do we really NEED Corvette Stingrays? The speed limit is 70, why do we need cars that will do 180 mph? Perhaps the government should ban all engines that aren't 4-cylinders...

Do we really NEED beef? We can get all the protein we need from chickens. And chickens don't create nearly as much methane as cattle, which is a green house gas that causes global warming...

Do you really NEED a 3000 square foot house, when you could live comfortably in a 2000 square foot house, and use less energy for heating and cooling and less resources to build and maintain the house?

How far do you want to take this?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

ps .no i don't work for T/C ..i retired 5 years ago ..worked 30 years for general motors ..i started hunting at the age of 16 and i am 63 now ..i have hunted small game ,and big game deer, bear, caribou and moose .all i want is some input ,i knew i was going to kick up dust with my posting ..
Old 02-01-2008, 08:48 AM

In this day and age few people "need" a gun for anything. The point is, It is your right to own one, as long as you are a law abiding citizen of the USA. On that subject there can be no lattitude, since once you start limiting peoples' rights, where would you stop? I don't own a semi auto rifle at this time, but I wouldn't want my right to do so taken away.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

In a word . . . yes. There are certainly situations where having a semiauto is needed.

For example, my hunting partner injured the ligaments in his left wrist in an on-the-job accident. After two surgeries, the final word is, the wrist is not going to get better. My friend has had to change his work from driving trucks to something that does not require him to grip with any more than 5 LBS of force. What kind of a restriction is this? When I squeeze a bathroom scale with both hands, I can get the weight up to 180 LBS, 90 LBS per hand. I am not an exceptional physical specimen and I don't work on increasing my grip. Thus, 5 LBS gripping force is a pretty severe physical limitation. My friend has had a hard time using his pump shotgun this year during the duck hunting season. He has concluded that he will simply have to dump the pump and buy an auto shotgun.

It strikes me that, given this experience and condition, that my friend may have a hard time operating a bolt action rifle. Maybe operating the bolt quickly requires one to put a very solid grip on the fore end of the stock with the left hand while working the bolt? Thus, unless my friend is content hunting big game using a single shot, he may need to move to a semi-automatic big game rifle if he want to take timely follow-up shots.

Yes, there is a need for semi-auto rifles for big game hunting. It always torques me off that people ask these kinds of questions. Because I don't have one, it ain't needed seems to be the level of thinking involved. Sorry if I am jumping your case, heinz57, I have just heard this kind of thing from the gun control crowd, for example my sister. "Well, you don't NEED an assault rifle! Therefore you should have no objection to voting for John Kerry!" Sorry, please don't presume what I do or do not have a need for in the way of assault rifles. I bet if I lived in one of the poor districts of New Orleans having a semi-auto "assault rifle" with a 30 round clip might have given one a warm, comforting sense of well being in about September 2005 when looters were running around stealing stuff.

After reading other posts on this thread, heinz57, I see you are NOT advocating banning semi-autos, but just asking a question. Given the context -- Canadian government moving to ban all semi-autos -- the question appears larger than your original question. The question, more to the point, is "do we need semi-autos for hunting?" As I explain above, my friend very definitely DOES need a semi-auto for duck hunting. Duck hunting very definitely relies upon fast follow-up shots -- either to kill an injured duck or to execute a double (I shot a double on Gadwall last Saturday evening, yay!). My friend simply cannot operate his pump shotgun any longer due to his wrist ligament injury. He went hunting with me Saturday night, shot about 6 times, and the pain in his wrist from operating his pump shotgun prevented him from going out with me to duck hunt again the next morning as had been our plan.

This issue of physical limitations comes up in a number of contexts. One of the things that was linked with the "assault weapons" ban here in the states was a pistol grip on the rifle was "bad" or a sign of a banned weapon. For a time I had a wrist injury that prevented my wrist from flexing without some pain. Gripping a standard big game rifle around the grip just behind the trigger and flexing my wrist to place the gun into shooting position against my shoulder involved flexing my wrist to a painful degree. While thankfully this wrist injury has passed, it occured to me at the time that a pistol grip stock would avoid this particular wrist flexing operation to shoot my gun.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kirby375

In this day and age few people "need" a gun for anything. The point is, It is your right to own one, as long as you are a law abiding citizen of the USA. On that subject there can be no lattitude, since once you start limiting peoples' rights, where would you stop? I don't own a semi auto rifle at this time, but I wouldn't want my right to do so taken away.
now that is an answere i can live with ..thank-you kirby375

Quick Reply: do we need semi-auto rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.