Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Suprise Rifles >

Suprise Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Suprise Rifles

Old 01-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Spike

Default RE: Suprise Rifles

My dad could not worry about to much recoil when i started hunting because at the time the only legal way to shoot a deer, in Iowa, with a gun was shotgun slugs, and a muzzleloader. I remenber when I was 11-12 years old going to the range with my dad and shooting 12ga slugs out of an 870 with a hard plastic buttpad. The rubber one was taken off to make the gun shorter for me. I would come home with a bruised and sore shoulder every time. So your kids are lucky to have you worrying about the recoil. A 2 3/4 in slug has about 30 ft lbs of recoil energy i think. So i think that is comparable to a .338 win mag or so. But don't quote me on it.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IowaBoy01

My dad could not worry about to much recoil when i started hunting because at the time the only legal way to shoot a deer, in Iowa, with a gun was shotgun slugs, and a muzzleloader. I remenber when I was 11-12 years old going to the range with my dad and shooting 12ga slugs out of an 870 with a hard plastic buttpad. The rubber one was taken off to make the gun shorter for me. I would come home with a bruised and sore shoulder every time. So your kids are lucky to have you worrying about the recoil. A 2 3/4 in slug has about 30 ft lbs of recoil energy i think. So i think that is comparable to a .338 win mag or so. But don't quote me on it.
I've shot enough slugs to know that they aren't for youngsters (or adults for that matter). If it came down to that, it would be the Deerstalker flintlocks with 85 gr 3f goex and a .495 ball w/ .010 patch.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: IowaBoy01

Yeah, that's how I started out too. I don't know about the .338, but it does kick harder than my .300 Win Mag. I had a flinch for years.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either the .243 or the 7mm-08 would be good choices. If you choose to get them the 7-08, I'd strongly recommend that the first thing you do is have good recoil pads fitted to both rifles (Pachmeyer Decelerator = good, Limbsaver pad = better). Savage rifles come with a thin and fairly hard rubber pad that doesn't do much to slow the recoil pulse. The Limbsaver pads are thick and soft and make a world of difference in how the recoil feels. My Savage 111 30-06 felt pretty brutal with the stock pad, but after I put on the Limbsaver it has become a much more pleasurable rifle to shoot.

Your idea reminds me of the day when I was about 10 that my dad, my younger brother and I went out to the trap club expecting to take turns with dad's 870 like we always did, only to find two NEF 20ga single shots waiting for us in the trunk. It was a very good day! I can't wait until my kids get old enough for their first guns, but I have a few years to wait (my daughter turned 3 yesterday, and my son is 8 months old).

Mike

Old 02-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Either the .243 or the 7mm-08 would be good choices. If you choose to get them the 7-08, I'd strongly recommend that the first thing you do is have good recoil pads fitted to both rifles (Pachmeyer Decelerator = good, Limbsaver pad = better). Savage rifles come with a thin and fairly hard rubber pad that doesn't do much to slow the recoil pulse. The Limbsaver pads are thick and soft and make a world of difference in how the recoil feels. My Savage 111 30-06 felt pretty brutal with the stock pad, but after I put on the Limbsaver it has become a much more pleasurable rifle to shoot.

Your idea reminds me of the day when I was about 10 that my dad, my younger brother and I went out to the trap club expecting to take turns with dad's 870 like we always did, only to find two NEF 20ga single shots waiting for us in the trunk. It was a very good day! I can't wait until my kids get old enough for their first guns, but I have a few years to wait (my daughter turned 3 yesterday, and my son is 8 months old).

Mike
My guess is that they'll think it's pretty special as well.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well after doing some research on calibers, I entirely overlooked the Managed Recoil loads by Remington. After looking at their data tables I decided on the .270 Win for my boy's. They can start on the MR loads for now and when they are older they can move right into the heavier stuff for moose. I've picked up one rifle with the second on order. Both are the Ruger M77MK II Sporter, .270 Win, Stainless w/ Laminate stocks. The first one (pictured) has a gray laminate. The second one is a surprise as I'm not sure whether it will be gray or brown laminate. Of all things, the dealer had the Left Hand model in stock. Usually they are the special order around here.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice, these will last your kids a lifetime.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am curious about the laminate stocks. What kind of care do they require? I didn't see anything in the manual about that.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Beautiful...My .243 is a 1980 vintage Ruger M-77...They'll love them...You can't beat their scope mounting system...

I don't think you have to do anything to a laminate stock but keep it clean...