Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 factory barrel life >

factory barrel life

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

factory barrel life

Old 01-29-2008, 10:53 AM

Default factory barrel life

Just wandering how many shots can I expect to get out of my new SS 700 rem in a 300 RUM Befor replacement is called for? My loads will be fortight groups not speed.

[/align]
Old 01-29-2008, 11:26 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: factory barrel life

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

Just wandering how many shots can I expect to get out of my new SS 700 rem in a 300 RUM Befor replacement is called for? My loads will be fortight groups not speed.

[/align]
I burned out one barrel in little over 1000 rounds. I had throat errosion and bad copper fouling. I had a Kreiger barrel put back on it, and little over 450 rounds, I had heat cracks in the neck of the chamber. But I have a feeling this was caused by a shotty job from my gunsmith. We viewed both barrels with a hawkeye bore scope. And on my first 300RUM, I ruined a barrel by firelapping it.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:55 PM

It depends upon how picky you are. A benchrest shooter would probably less than 1,000 rounds, but he'd be talking thousandths of an inch. I'd say the average hunter could shoot several thousand rounds before he noticed a difference.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say the avearage hunter could shoot several thousand rounds before he noticed a difference.
Its also very unlikely that an average hunter will ever wear out the barrel on their hunting rifle.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:11 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: jtb1967

It depends upon how picky you are. A benchrest shooter would probably less than 1,000 rounds, but he'd be talking thousandths of an inch. I'd say the average hunter could shoot several thousand rounds before he noticed a difference.
Several thousand rounds thru a RUM???? You sure about that?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 PM

For the average hunter I'd say yes. I've had hot varmint rifles that I've considered adequate for varmints after a couple thousand rounds that would have been totally "worn out" as a benchrest rifle. Again it all depends upon what you consider worn out. I doubt most deer hunters would feel their barrels needed replaced after 2000 or more rounds from a 300 RUM. If he doesn't damagehis stainless barrel out with a cleaning rod and doesn't shoot round after round till the barrel is red hot, then it should last a good number of rounds.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

I also have my doubt's on SEVERAL THOUSAND rounds. But I also have my doubt's many are going to shoot that many out of a RUM. Bigcountry I wouldn't blame the gunsmith I have an Improved RUM known as a 300 Tomahawk and I see more throat erosion than I like to see at 500 rounds, maybe 550. I guess if your shooting a big gun like the 300 RUM you want the very best accuacy, after all why buy a gun capable of making shots out to a 1000 yards and it not be accurate?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: jtb1967

For the average hunter I'd say yes. I've had hot varmint rifles that I've considered adequate for varmints after a couple thousand rounds that would have been totally "worn out" as a benchrest rifle. Again it all depends upon what you consider worn out. I doubt most deer hunters would feel their barrels needed replaced after 2000 or more rounds from a 300 RUM. If he doesn't damagehis stainless barrel out with a cleaning rod and doesn't shoot round after round till the barrel is red hot, then it should last a good number of rounds.
So how many rounds have you put thru a 300RUM? Its quite a different animal than a 22-250, or even a 22-243middlestead.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:37 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: gunnermhr

I also have my doubt's on SEVERAL THOUSAND rounds. But I also have my doubt's many are going to shoot that many out of a RUM. Bigcountry I wouldn't blame the gunsmith I have an Improved RUM known as a 300 Tomahawk and I see more throat erosion than I like to see at 500 rounds, maybe 550. I guess if your shooting a big gun like the 300 RUM you want the very best accuacy, after all why buy a gun capable of making shots out to a 1000 yards and it not be accurate?
Exactly, I sold my last 300RUM. I shoot a 300win mag now. I got so aggitated when I had one built to be a long range fun gun. And for it to last only a year.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every one wants an accurate rifle. But I can not see any sense in buying and shooting a 300 RUM unless you are going to shoot her hot. Just buy a lighter cartridge. Let the big dog eat. Tom.

Quick Reply: factory barrel life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.