Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 remington 700 300 ultra mag >

remington 700 300 ultra mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington 700 300 ultra mag

Old 01-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: remington 700 300 ultra mag

ORIGINAL: defenbaugh

I was just wondering the range on this gun. my dad bought one and he was asking me . i told him i didnt know but id imagine its along range gun. he want to be pretty acccurate at as long of a range as possible he has a .223 for closer range
With a 180-grain spitzer boattail bullet, I suspect the MAXIMUM range is close to 6000 yards when fired at 30-degrees elevation. The maximum EFFECTIVE RANGE for hunting depends more on the shooter than the gun. This is true regardless of what cartridge is being used......
Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: glockman55

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

It just amazes me that someone would buy a 300RUM and not really know much about them or ballistics.
Ballistic charts are one thing, being able to shoot is another.
Good choice, shoot a bunch and get used to it.

Really???

Old 01-28-2008, 03:57 PM

i guess i should state it like this, what range will it still have the power to kill? i know these bullets will travel along ways but how far can i shoot an elk and still have the kinetic energy to kill it ?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

i guess i should state it like this, what range will it still have the power to kill? i know these bullets will travel along ways but how far can i shoot an elk and still have the kinetic energy to kill it ?
better wait for BC to answer that one..
Old 01-29-2008, 07:40 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: glockman55

better wait for BC to answer that one..
Well, I went thru a moose at over 400 yards with a 300RUM. Lets hear your experience with big game.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

You got me..I just thought it was uncalled for on your commit: ORIGINAL: bigcountry

It just amazes me that someone would buy a 300RUM and not really know much about them or ballistics.

Sounded like you was trying to be little the guy for asking a question.. If I'm wrong I apologize
Old 01-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

defenbaugh, sorry that people are to good to answer your question directly; I will do my best to give you an honest answer. This gun will will kill most anything farther than you could shoot it accuratly. I would have your father just practice a lot. This will determine how accurate the gun is, and how well he can shoot it. If it is a MOA or better gun, and your father is a good shot, 400 to 500 is probaly going to be your max distance. When you get out farther than this, your groups may start to get to big to make a clean kill. If you want to check out ballistics, go to Remingtons website; I beleive Federal makes bullets for that gun to. Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

defenbaugh, sorry that people are to good to answer your question directly; I will do my best to give you an honest answer. This gun will will kill most anything farther than you could shoot it accuratly. I would have your father just practice a lot. This will determine how accurate the gun is, and how well he can shoot it. If it is a MOA or better gun, and your father is a good shot, 400 to 500 is probaly going to be your max distance. When you get out farther than this, your groups may start to get to big to make a clean kill. If you want to check out ballistics, go to Remingtons website; I beleive Federal makes bullets for that gun to. Hope this helps.

Most out perform their owners, the 300RUM is no exception and will take game way further then most would even consider.The applicable range of his new 300RUM will be defined by his ability with the rifle not the chambering.

Good Luck to him, it's a 30 calheavy weightcapable of everything in NA and many species abroad as well.
To good or be-littling???How can anyone accurately answer such a question in the first place? Your "honest answer"priovided him more of what exactly??? Hey, what can be saidhas been for the info given.Reallyshould it even have to be said that limits are defined by shooter and not the cartridge in most cases??

May explain some of the comments posted! It does appears knowledge islimited???? Worrying about how far it can kill something, may be putting the cart way before the horse?? Afterall this is a website with shooting/hunting addicts on it, been known to happen that passion leeks and even pour through key strokes.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now now gentlemen - We all know that all our knowledge together does not come close to what BC knows.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Now now gentlemen - We all know that all our knowledge together does not come close to what BC knows.
Holy cow, where did crap come from???

Lets hear your experience. Or are you just posting to be posting?

Quick Reply: remington 700 300 ultra mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.