HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Shady Firearms Purchase? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/229058-shady-firearms-purchase.html)

BigHonkers 01-25-2008 02:39 PM

RE: Shady Firearms Purchase?

hmmmmm....... i would be suspicious of that phone number.

Aught Six 01-25-2008 03:55 PM

When you meet up to transfer the rifle, turn and say to him, "What are you hunting, PEOPLE?!" Based upon his reaction, you maybe able togauge his intent.

glockman55 01-25-2008 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: BigHonkers

hmmmmm....... i would be suspicious of that phone number.
You are kidding of course..LOL

BigHonkers 01-25-2008 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: glockman55You are kidding of course..LOL
of course. ever see 'last action hero?'

glockman55 01-25-2008 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: BigHonkers

ORIGINAL: glockman55You are kidding of course..LOL
of course. ever see 'last action hero?'
Yes. I knew I heard that number some where..LOL

bigbulls 01-25-2008 05:42 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it what so ever. I think you are readingway too muchinto this. The email actually sounded very polite and respectful.

Spend some time in a gun shop selling guns and you will get many many many people calling rifles, shotguns, handguns etc... weapons.

bigtim6656 01-25-2008 05:44 PM

at first i thought it was odd but some people not knowledgeable about a 3030 might say that
it is a weapon weather you call it that or not any gun is a weapon
but we do not go around calling them that
just like i scream at the TV every time some idiot shoots some one and they say he shot the guy with a automatic when a pistol is a semi auto
i also have never heard any cop or soldier call a gun a weapon
i would feel him out heck even ask him why he wonts it then your know by how quick he answers and what he says

Paul L Mohr 01-25-2008 06:24 PM

I often call guns weapons by the way. Heck, you see it here sometimes.

Paul

homers brother 01-25-2008 06:41 PM

Well, you might consider that when YOU use the term "gun", I might think you're speaking of the crew-served, fully automaticvariety, or a non-high-angle capable (generally anti-tank) cannon?

Of course, considering the context of our posts here, I think I could be pretty confident that you're speaking of neither, check or hold? (that's military for "am I right or am I wrong").

Consider this - quite possibly, could the person who called you be a college student who as late as last semester was still in Iraq or Afghanistan, wishing they were home to hunt like they did before they joined the military?

Nothing's forcing you to sell it to just anyone, but I don't think a mere phone call and the term "weapon" ought to be enough to disqualify someone. After all, it might be me who made the call - and we don't call them "guns" at my house. Vote your conscience though, it's your weapon to do with whatever you wish.

RobertSubnet 01-25-2008 11:36 PM

As other posters mentioned, I sometimes refer to my guns as weapons-because they are.

Not too long ago I sold a 22 mag by posting a sign at my range. The guy who bought it from me had prepared "receipts." We printed and signed our names, the date of course, weapon (ahem) type and serial number. The guy also had a friend there as a witness who also signed.

I appreciated the guys thoughtfullness.

If you do decide to sell, I would recommend doing something similar. You don't necessarily have to have the thing notarized, just enough toshow that a transfer did occur.

But like other posters have said: it is your gun. If you are uncomfortable selling it to this person, then don't.

~Robert