Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mossberg Vs. Stevens >

Mossberg Vs. Stevens

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg Vs. Stevens

Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg Vs. Stevens

cool.....well they both make them in 243 so now i cant decide! lol
Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Spike

The Mossberg isa Howa. So is the Weatherby Vanguard. So were the old Smith and Wessons. Go to a gun shop, handle both, pick which one fits you the best, and don't lood back. The Mossberg should shoot fine, maybe not as well as the Stevens, but it should at least come close. You can't go wrong with either. I went with the Stevens because it was cheaper and I couldn't find a Mossberg .243 locally.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok....thanks Jason.....
Old 01-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Spike

Hey, where are you from in Oregon? I drove through that state this summer and I loved it.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Grants Pass......about an hour away from Medford and 3 hours south of Salem....
Old 01-24-2008, 05:55 PM

The mossberg is not a howa 1500 or vangard. It is BASED on the howa action and the savages, but it is not made by either company. So don't think that when you buy an economy priced mossberg that you are getting a Howa rifle with a mossberg badge on it.

I have yet to see a bad review on one though.

Paul
Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

so Paul L mohr.......ifyou could only spend around 250-300 $$ on a rifle what 243.....any make .... would you get?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

anyone not just Paul L Mohr can answer that one.....
Old 01-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

I would take the Stevens hands down.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 AM

Honestly I would go check them out and see which one looked, felt and shouldered the best for you. I am sure both will work fine. I would also take into consideration what bases and scope mounts they each take and how available they are.

I was just in this boat and looked at both of them. I was also looking at used guns, nothing wrong with a quality used gun if you are trying to save a few bucks. Most of these guns are built to last generations so there is nothing wrong with getting one that is 15 or 20 years old as long as it isn't beat to death. And most used guns are even newer than that sometimes. I found a really nice browning A bolt with a laminated stock and stainless metal with the boss system for a bit more than $500. It was a 7mm mag though and I really didn't need anything that big. Pretty gun though, I was really tempted to get it just for the heck of it.

I would probably lean hard towards Stevens since I have owned the same gun before, except it was a 110E with a wood stock. I have owned a few savages and am happy with the quality they had for the money. Never owned a Mossberg rifle so familiarity and brand loyalty might win out with me. I did have a couple Mossberg shotguns though and I was happy with those.

Honestly what I was going to do though is save up more money and get the howa. I found one in my local shop for just under $400 and the Stevens was a tad over $300 so the price difference wasn't all that big. And I really liked the hogue stock on the Howa.

What I ended up doing was selling a bunch of guns and getting a better rifle and new scope. I ended up with a standard Savage 16 in .243 with a Mueller 4-16X50 tactical scope. And I had some money left over so I snagged me a new computer monitor as well. A 22 inch wide screen Dell LCD.

And shortly after that my furnace broke down on a Sunday and it was 8 degrees outside[:@]. Never fails when I spend money something happens shortly after. Cost me 225 bucks to get my furnace running again. $100 an hour for a service call on a Sunday!!!!! I think I need to find a new career.

Paul

Quick Reply: Mossberg Vs. Stevens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.