Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 semi auto or rev. >

semi auto or rev.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

semi auto or rev.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default semi auto or rev.

Which would you wont for self defense.

I do not mean home defense or the thinking of maybe the wife will need to use it

I mean for a gun you carry CC out on the street. Or around your land or house. A gun that only you use andknow well

Do you wont a semi auto or a rev.
Why for either
What makes you pick that type over the other
Old 01-23-2008, 05:14 PM

Default RE: semi auto or rev.

BT, either one will work fine. The questions to ask yourself are 1. How familiar are you with pistols? 2. How much concealability do you want? For anyone with limited pistol experience, I suggest a DA revolver...especially for a weapon you are going to be so intimate with that you wear it on your person. Secondly, in most cases, an automatic is more concealable. In all but a few models of revolvers, the cylinder gets thick and bulky.

Other tan these considerations, you're kind of on your own about this decision.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

It all depends on you!, are you familiar with pistols? You need to be honest with your answer, in self defence it is a matter of life and death if you have to use it. When a customer comes into my shop, I can get an idea of how much they know from their actions when handling them, of coarse I cant see you, so I need an answer to help you out.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simple answer-Revolver. You always hear people talking about how reliable a semi-auto is. You never hear anyone talk about how reliable a revolver is. Reliability is never a problem with a revolver. You may have a problem with your ammo, but not the revolver. If you have a problem with your ammo andif you have a revolver you just pull the trigger again. That does not work with a semi-auto.

Semi's have become more popular because it can carry more shells, so spray and pray becomes the rule.

When you need your revolver just pull it out and pull the trigger.

Below is a picture of my two carry guns. Both are easily concealable. The top one is a 44 magnum made of Titanium that weighs less than 2 pounds. Now that is FIREPOWER. Definitely one shot one kill-not like a 9mm. Tom.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

from one to 10 i give my self a 6 on experience i have more with the Ar's then handguns.

I had a p89 ruger i could pull the receiver off put it back on and fire real quickly once i got taking the receiver off
I have shot three different semi autos two 9mm one 45

some where like 3000 rounds or so i would think
i feel comfortable picking up a semi auto loading it and using it good enough to get them job done.

I do not plan to carry around town. More like around my hunting area and land i plan to buy
i doubt i will carry it CC much but i might

Up until now i have never liked revs but there growing on me.
I have never shot one
I wont both but am unsure which i wont to use for defense

In my house my bedroom isthe only one down stairs and the closes to the door. You come in the front door go down a small hallway by the stairs and round a doorway which has my bedroom door right by it.
So i would be the first line of defense if someone broke in my house given they do not go upstairs first which i doubt they would.

ORIGINAL: devil dog

It all depends on you!, are you familiar with pistols? You need to be honest with your answer, in self defense it is a matter of life and death if you have to use it. When a customer comes into my shop, I can get an idea of how much they know from their actions when handling them, of coarse I cant see you, so I need an answer to help you out.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Head0001, you need to choose your words more carfully, spray and pray!, shame on you!. You are correct to a point, a revolver is reliable, certain revolvers are veryconceallable, but of those certain conceallable revolvers,38spl you have the same effects of exterior ballistics as a 9mm when useing 124 or 147gr bullits, the 357 mag is a different story, but when they are that small, they are not that pleasent to shoot!.My Glock 30, 45acp for those who dont know the model size, is just as conceallable as a 38spl2" snubby, carries 10 roundsand iscomfortable for daily wear, and with a IWB holster it is concealled with just a t-shirt. As far as a recomendation, I beleive a newby shooter should get a 38spl revolver, just for the fact of its ease of opperation, in a pinch it is easier to fire, my only recomendation is to make sure it can handle a +P round. I also highly recomend some sort of course to familurize ones self with personal defence, not only how to use a weapon, BUT WHEN TO USE IT!!. The main reason for semi's popularity is the variety of calibers, "for self defence, I wouldnt choose below a 9mm, until the past couple years I wouldnt even concider a 9 until the improvement in ammo",you have a range of 9mm,357sig, 38sup, 40s&w, 10mm, 45acp that all can be had in a reliable,compact pakage, high round count and very conceallable, drawbacks are in a pinch harder to operate under stress! "safeties, thats why I choose Glock, my index finger is my safety".
Old 01-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

As far as reliability goes, gun are machines and some will fail, auto or revolver, revolvers less. Some people on the Smith and Wesson forums are having failures where the "lock" on the revolvers, are locking up the gun. But you will hear a lot more about problems with autos. I carry 4 different guns at different times. A Colt Government Model in .45acp, a Colt Python .357, a Glock model 19 9mm and a Smith model 60 .38 special. All have been stone cold reliable with no failures at all. I only shoot 230grain ball ammo in the Government Model cause that is what is was made to feed. The Glock has fed and ejected everything I have put in it. The revolvers also go bang everytime the trigger is pulled. The gun I keep by the bed is the Glock, mainly for the 15 rounds it holds and also the trigger takes a little more to pull than the Government Model and it a nervous sitiuation I think it would be best. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Head0001, you need to choose your words more carfully, spray and pray!, shame on you!. You are correct to a point, a revolver is reliable, certain revolvers are veryconceallable, but of those certain conceallable revolvers,38spl you have the same effects of exterior ballistics as a 9mm when useing 124 or 147gr bullits, the 357 mag is a different story, but when they are that small, they are not that pleasent to shoot!.My Glock 30, 45acp for those who dont know the model size, is just as conceallable as a 38spl2" snubby, carries 10 roundsand iscomfortable for daily wear, and with a IWB holster it is concealled with just a t-shirt. As far as a recomendation, I beleive a newby shooter should get a 38spl revolver, just for the fact of its ease of opperation, in a pinch it is easier to fire, my only recomendation is to make sure it can handle a +P round. I also highly recomend some sort of course to familurize ones self with personal defence, not only how to use a weapon, BUT WHEN TO USE IT!!. The main reason for semi's popularity is the variety of calibers, "for self defence, I wouldnt choose below a 9mm, until the past couple years I wouldnt even concider a 9 until the improvement in ammo",you have a range of 9mm,357sig, 38sup, 40s&w, 10mm, 45acp that all can be had in a reliable,compact pakage, high round count and very conceallable, drawbacks are in a pinch harder to operate under stress! "safeties, thats why I choose Glock, my index finger is my safety".
Your comments make good sense.My 38 is a +P, and I shoot 158's out of her.

The problem is the vast majority of the people who are buying these pistols have very limited knowledge. I remember when the high capacity 9's came out(after the High Power). Spray and Pray was the idea behind these pistols. I saw some P-85's that would not even hit a target at 10 yards.

My comments are not directed at knowledgeable shooter's such as yourself. My comments are directed at the other 95% of shooter's who only care about magazine capacity. These are the people who would truly be better off with a revolver.

I own quite a few semi's. Mostly the upper end guns(Kimber, Sig, Italian 92's). And I consider my S&W revolver's more reliable than any of these pistol's. I am talking 100% of the time. Tom.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

from one to 10 i give my self a 6 on experience i have more with the Ar's then handguns.

I had a p89 ruger i could pull the receiver off put it back on and fire real quickly once i got taking the receiver off

i feel comfortable picking up a semi auto loading it and using it good enough to get them job done.

I do not plan to carry around town. More like around my hunting area and land i plan to buy

I have never shot one

In my house my bedroom isthe only one down stairs and the closes to the door. You come in the front door go down a small hallway by the stairs and round a doorway which has my bedroom door right by it.
So i would be the first line of defense if someone broke in my house given they do not go upstairs first which i doubt they would.

It all depends on you!, are you familiar with pistols? You need to be honest with your answer, in self defense it is a matter of life and death if you have to use it. When a customer comes into my shop, I can get an idea of how much they know from their actions when handling them, of coarse I cant see you, so I need an answer to help you out.
To start, in the house, the best defencive weapon is a 12gashotgun with # 4 shot!, Im not talking about one of theese new asault shotguns either, just a plain pump action shotgun, easy to use! and you wont have to worry about pass-throughs into the next room. From what I have read from your statement, part I dont understand," I could pull the receiver off and put it back on and fire it quickly", I dont understand that statement!, are you telling me that you take the pistol apart and put it back together and shoot ?, that makes no sence at all. I want to know how much you have shot, have you had any kind of formal trainning, can you repeatily hit what you are aimming at!. When you carry for personal defence all the rules change as you know them, someone elses life and your life are at jepordy! I would say for the time being, get yourself a revolver and practice, use a man type target not a bullseye target. You need to learn defensive shooting, in other words, you need to practice shooting senerios, what to do if this happens, what to do if that happens, start off with the pistol unloaded, work on yourshooting stance, shooting while takeing cover. Once you gain confidence in what you are doing, then you can start with a loaded gun.Sign up for a CCW license class, the amount of information you get there is stagering, esspecially, when to and when not to shoot!,if you do plan on carrying a pistol you will need a CCW permitanyway. I started at a very young age, 8, my dad was a Pittsburgh policeman, I started shooting with him and the other police when they had to quallify, Im 45 now, and I still go through around 3 to 500 rounds a month just practicing, and am still learning to this day.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

no i do not pull the slide off and put it back on and shoot i just meant i knew how to work the gun well and shoot it
i am not someone that just slides a mag in the gun shot and that is it i learn everything i can about a gun i own or wont

i have shot a good amount in the last 2 years i have shot somewhere near 3000 rounds
usually i shot at 20 to 25 yards and every shot would be in the middle of the target not 2 inch groups but if it was a bad guy he would have every round in his chest
\

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

I have never shot one

To start, in the house, the best defencive weapon is a 12gashotgun with # 4 shot!, Im not talking about one of theese new asault shotguns either, just a plain pump action shotgun, easy to use! and you wont have to worry about pass-throughs into the next room. From what I have read from your statement, part I dont understand," I could pull the receiver off and put it back on and fire it quickly", I dont understand that statement!, are you telling me that you take the pistol apart and put it back together and shoot ?, that makes no sence at all. I want to know how much you have shot, have you had any kind of formal trainning, can you repeatily hit what you are aimming at!. When you carry for personal defence all the rules change as you know them, someone elses life and your life are at jepordy! I would say for the time being, get yourself a revolver and practice, use a man type target not a bullseye target. You need to learn defensive shooting, in other words, you need to practice shooting senerios, what to do if this happens, what to do if that happens, start off with the pistol unloaded, work on yourshooting stance, shooting while takeing cover. Once you gain confidence in what you are doing, then you can start with a loaded gun.Sign up for a CCW license class, the amount of information you get there is stagering, esspecially, when to and when not to shoot!,if you do plan on carrying a pistol you will need a CCW permitanyway. I started at a very young age, 8, my dad was a Pittsburgh policeman, I started shooting with him and the other police when they had to quallify, Im 45 now, and I still go through around 3 to 500 rounds a month just practicing, and am still learning to this day.

Quick Reply: semi auto or rev.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.