Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 H&R/ New England Firearms Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe >

H&R/ New England Firearms Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R/ New England Firearms Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe

Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: New England Firearms Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe

I am getting one soon too! maybe for graduation! cant wait!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New England Firearms Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe

Ended up getting mine tonight. They mounted my scope and bore sighted it. Should be ready to go for when the weather is cooperating (low wind). I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Have a good one!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Spike

Smile H&R Ultraslug - Unbelievable Accuracy

I bought my son a 12 ga. H&R Ultraslug for his 18th birthday this year - complete with a LimbSaver recoil pad and Nikon Slughunter 3x9 Scope with the BDC reticle. We took the gun to the range with a couple of boxes each of 4 different 3" 12 ga. sabot slugs. After sighting his gun in to hit bullseyes at 50 yds. we decided to see how it shot at 100 yds. This gun is absolutely amazing for a slug gun. He can consistently shoot a single jagged hole at 50 yds from a sandbagged benchrest. When we measured his first 3 shot group at 100 yds I was amazed. It was a 1.75" group. His second was a tight cloverleaf, and his third was just under 2". I had no idea that any slug gun could shoot like this out of the box! We discovered that his gun shot all the sabots we tried pretty well but it seemed to like the Winchester Partition Golds best. The Nikon Slughunter scope does exactly what it says it will do. When we used the aiming point for 100 yds. after sighting in at 50 yds. he was still right on the bullseye. Now it was almost a dead calm morning with the temps hovering around 45 degrees so we didn't have a chance to see what wind-drift would do to the slugs but I would have to guess that if we had been able to test the gun at 150 or 200 yds, we would have seen more of a wind effect but our local range only goes to 100 yds. It kind of makes me wonder what this gun could do if we had someone glass-bed the forearm, install a muzzle-break, and give it a trigger job! I am trying to locate a range where we can test his gun at 150 and even 200 yds.

I use a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and Burris 4x scope. I can hold right around 6" at 100 yds with my scoped Mossberg but I will be trading it in on an outfit duplicate to the one I just bought my son. Let's face it . . . after the first shot is fired, the deer is either down or gone anyway!

Last edited by bustedwing; 12-12-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bustedwing
I bought my son a 12 ga. H&R Ultraslug for his 18th birthday this year - complete with a LimbSaver recoil pad and Nikon Slughunter 3x9 Scope with the BDC reticle. We took the gun to the range with a couple of boxes each of 4 different 3" 12 ga. sabot slugs. After sighting his gun in to hit bullseyes at 50 yds. we decided to see how it shot at 100 yds. This gun is absolutely amazing for a slug gun. He can consistently shoot a single jagged hole at 50 yds from a sandbagged benchrest. When we measured his first 3 shot group at 100 yds I was amazed. It was a 1.75" group. His second was a tight cloverleaf, and his third was just under 2". I had no idea that any slug gun could shoot like this out of the box! We discovered that his gun shot all the sabots we tried pretty well but it seemed to like the Winchester Partition Golds best. The Nikon Slughunter scope does exactly what it says it will do. When we used the aiming point for 100 yds. after sighting in at 50 yds. he was still right on the bullseye. Now it was almost a dead calm morning with the temps hovering around 45 degrees so we didn't have a chance to see what wind-drift would do to the slugs but I would have to guess that if we had been able to test the gun at 150 or 200 yds, we would have seen more of a wind effect but our local range only goes to 100 yds. It kind of makes me wonder what this gun could do if we had someone glass-bed the forearm, install a muzzle-break, and give it a trigger job! I am trying to locate a range where we can test his gun at 150 and even 200 yds.

I use a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and Burris 4x scope. I can hold right around 6" at 100 yds with my scoped Mossberg but I will be trading it in on an outfit duplicate to the one I just bought my son. Let's face it . . . after the first shot is fired, the deer is either down or gone anyway!
I purchased the laminated thumbhole model a couple days ago and shot it today off hand with some remington copper solids i had laying around.... I sighted it in and shot a three shot group from 50 yards off hand and got a 2.5" group so far i am totaly impressed i cant wait to shoot from a sand bag using some ballistic tips. I would like to have the trigger worked also if i could get it at 3 pounds i think this thing would be a nail driver. It amazes me that a gun this cheap (in price) is so accurate. i was using an old 4X weaver scope i had laying around also with some elcheapo rings... a luepold ultimate slam will be going on this beast soon.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Spike

Thumbs up Almost too good to be true!

Prior to getting my H&R Ultra Slug I would have bet that no slug gun could shoot this good. I own a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and rifle sights and shooting from a sandbagged rest, I am lucky to get an 8" to 10" group of five slugs at 100 yds. It does not seem to matter which slug I use either and I have tried them all over the last 7 or 8 years.

My wife heard me talking about possibly getting an H&R Ultra Slug because of watching a friend shooting his at our local range. She surprised me with a full setup for my last birthday. A 12 ga. Ultra Slug with the laminated thumbhole stock, a Nikon Slughunter 3x9 with the BDC reticule, and a Limbsaver recoil pad. I made sure I stopped by the gun-dealer where she bought it to thank him for giving her great advice on the setup and to pickup a box each of 9 different sabot slugs (either by type or length). He assured me that he had boresighted my gun/scope combo. I visited my local range next.Thankfully, it only took me one shot and one adjustment to get on the bull at 50 yds. To make a long story short, the Ultra Slug shot all sabots well but seemed to like Winchester Platinum tips best. After buying another 5 boxes of the Platinum tips I visited the range again. The results of my 3-shot groups from a sandbagged benchrest were as follows: 50 yds = one jagged hole and the bull totally gone, 100 yds = a cloverleaf and the bull gone, 150 yds - 2 .5 inch group and the bull caught all of one slug and part of another, 200 yds = 3.25 inch group with one hole in the bull. The 100, 150, and 200 yd aiming points in the Nikon Slughunter appear to be right on the money with the Platinum Tips.

I can't say enough about this combination: 12 ga. Ultra Slug, Nikon Slughunter 3x9 scope, and the LimbSaver recoil pad. They sure work well together for me. Since I broke my leg in two places the week before deer season, I didn't get to try the Ultra Slug on deer this year but I plan on trading my Mossberg 500 in on as many boxes of Winchester Platinum tips as it will buy. Hopefully, I'll be sitting pretty for the rest of my life.

I do have one more 12 ga. - a Remington 11-87 with an improved cylinder bore that I intend to keep as a home defense gun. 5 rounds of #4 buck at 25 yds or less and whatever I have to shoot at would be mincemeat.

Would I recommend the 12 ga. H&R Ultra Slug for deer hunting? If your shots will be at 200 yds or less . . . NO QUESTION ABOUT IT . . . YES, YES, YES!

Last edited by MickyE; 12-26-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Spike

Default H&R Ultra Slug - shoots like a rifle!

Go with the H&R Ultra Slug in 12 Ga. - you won't regret it. I've had one for 4 years now and it is by far the most accurate slug gun I've ever seen. Mine shoots a single jagged hole at 100 yds from a sandbagged bench rest with 3" Federal Hydra Shok sabot slugs. 5 deer in 4 years for me - all of them one-shot kills. The farthest was 107 yds ranged. I have my ultra Slug set to hit 3" high at 100 yds. Just dial the scope up to 9 power and down they go. When you can buy a slug gun this accurate for $220.00 why would anyone spend $2,400.00 for a Tar-Hunt?

Buy a 12 Ga. Ultra Slug - try every sabot slug you can - and see where the favorite slug hits at different ranges. By the way - put the best glass you can afford on board and get a good rangefinder - you won't regret it - I promise!

Last edited by BearSnot; 01-09-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Yes the triggers can be adjusted with alittle work. Go to the post that is 4th down and there is a sight posted, go to that sight a go to the FAQ on that sight. If you have a problems or any questions,theres a bunch of guys on that sight that will help you out!!!! Also have information on how to make them more accurate and other things that will help you out. If you have a NEF or H&R this is the sight to go to!!!!! Zeak