Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone shooting a 6MM >

Anyone shooting a 6MM

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone shooting a 6MM

Old 01-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default Anyone shooting a 6MM

My Dad shot one when I was growing up. It was a Remington Mohawk 600. I absolultly loved that gun.. Well when he passed away last year, I realized that he had given that gun to his ex stepson.. I still can't get over that.. But on my recent trip down to Tx I was telling my uncle about that gun.. Low and behold.. He has the twin to this gun sitting in the safe.. Seems my Dad bought it for him back when they were hunting together.. It now sits in my Safe.. A gift from my Uncle.. That gun (although) not the original one, still brings in a flood of memories..
Old 01-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone shooting a 6MM

I had a remington model 788 for years until a buddy talked me out of it. It would consistantly group .375-.400 for 5 shots at 100 yards.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:46 PM

My fathr in law gave me an older Steyr Model L in a .6mm Rem . I hunted with it for several years and have never lost a deer with it........most I shot sropped pretty hard.

But I never had much luck on long range shooting with it and I hated scratching it ........so it's in the safe. I bought a Tikka T3 sythetic in a .270 wsm and that's been my go to rifle the last 2 years !!

My son will get the .6mm in a few years !!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have on in the Remington VLS. Finally started reloading for this rifle. It’s going to be my go to gun with any coyotes lurking around on my property...
Old 01-22-2008, 06:15 PM
DM

Anyone shooting a 6MM
I have a few 6mm's... Ones chambered for 240 Wby... and the rest are all .243 Win's...

P.O. Ackley build the 240 Wby. for me, as i wanted a long range small bore cartridge for coyotes and wolves with enough power to kill them as far away as i could see them... Also if needed, it would work on deer at reasonable ranges too...

DM
Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first deer rifle was a Remington Mohawk 600 - in .243. It'searned its keep and position close to the front of the gunsafe.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:24 PM

My first deer rifle was a Ruger m77 in 6mm remington. It accounted for the first deer for three different hunters and a 200lb hog. It is a great rifle. I just sold it to my hunting buddy to finance a new rifle, but I consider it still in the family since one of the "firsts" was with his son. It is a superb first deer rifle, given its excellent ballistics and light recoil.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cjwink

My Dad shot one when I was growing up. It was a Remington Mohawk 600. I absolultly loved that gun.. Well when he passed away last year, I realized that he had given that gun to his ex stepson.. I still can't get over that..
My dad left a few things that I would have liked to have to other people. But he was my dad and I would never question his motives. Unless you know the motive, then please do not try to figure it out. Just remember that he was your dad and let it go. I have witnessed first hand how little things can fester between family members. And it can get ugly. Believe me it is not worth it. Tom.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

just bought my Grand father a rem. model 720.244(6mm), its from the 50's and i got it from tx, deffinatley a difficult model to find.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:05 PM

I've owned several Model 600 Mohawks in everything but a 6MM. Muzzle blast from one of these short rifles can be incredible. Had one in .308 and when I would take it to the shooting range, other people would pack up and leave.

But anyway, they are traditionally accurate little rifles and wonderful to carry and hunt with. The biggest gripe against them was there VERY short action and magazine. They could be tedious to reload. Supposedly there was some flaw in their safety and Rem. lost a wicked law suit over the subject where some kid in Texas accidentally shot his father in the back with one and the lawyers blamed it on the rifle. So the story goes, this was why Rem stopped making them. We used to jokingly call these rifles, "Back Shooters." I think the whole lawsuit was BS, but if you can get enough anti-gunners on a jury, apparently no one cares. Get careless with any gun and it can bite.

Quick Reply: Anyone shooting a 6MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.