Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Is the 10mm auto here to stay?  Or fading away? >

Is the 10mm auto here to stay? Or fading away?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is the 10mm auto here to stay? Or fading away?

Old 02-04-2003, 01:48 AM

Default Is the 10mm auto here to stay? Or fading away?

Do you think the 10mm auto will be around for the next 20-30 years or so???? After seeing Ted Nugent take down an African wart hog with his Glock 10mm, I was sold on the gun. But I don't wanna buy it if that bullet is "dying." Know what I mean?
Old 02-04-2003, 07:19 AM

Default RE: Is the 10mm auto here to stay? Or fading away?

The 10mm almost died several years ago after all the intial hype died downed when it was introduced. The 10mm seems to be finding a following with handgun hunters and that might save be enough to save it. However, if I wanted a hunting handgun I would buy a 44magnum instead of the 10mm. Every Glock that I've shot is a good pistol.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 10mm has already "faded away", but that doesn't mean it might not be revived-when more people discover how much better is is than the the .40 S&W.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 02-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if the 10mm will die completely out but it has faded over the last few years.I personally like my 40 S&W in my carry gun.If I were going to buy a 10mm just for insurance,I would buy at least a thousand of pieces of unfired brass and stock pile ammunition for it.As for a hunting round,I'm really not that familiar with it.I'll stick with a 44 mag or 454 Casull for hunting.
Ruger Redhawk

..... A Proud NRA Life Member since 1977 .....Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

I believe it is making a slight comeback. You can buy it in a revolver and should help some. IMO it is like the .41 mag almost gone but then enough people speak-up to keep it on the market.
I have never owed one but the ones I have been around have convinced me that is is a good cartridge.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:43 PM
bigcountry

It probably is dying. I hate to see it also. It's bullistics beats the crap out of the 40SW, .357Sig, and of course the 9mm. Maybe, not sure maybe the 45ACP. Its hard to beat those. I don't have one, but wouldn't mind. Just buy up 500 peices of brass and take care of them. Shoots the same bullet as the .40, so that shouldn't be a problem. But 180gr bullets going 1100fps ain't bad.

Old 02-05-2003, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

It's been around for about twenty years and it's here to stay...that being said, it really has only just found it's niche. It is certainly a capable personal defense gun, but for the masses is a little more diffucult to master than guns with lighter recoil (it is by no means painful but, it can twist your wrist with heavy loads), as such it isn't the perfect service pistol. Where it really shines is as a medium size hunting round. It's power is pretty much right in between a 357 and 44 magnum so it has enough power within a reasonable distance. And if you want to hunt with an auto it is your only viable option. Mine is used as an opportunity gun, when deer hunting or coyote hunting, and they come within 35 yards or so it gets used.

Gordon

...with the priveledge of hunting comes the responsibilty to respect the outdoors...
Old 02-05-2003, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

"It's bullistics beats the crap out of the 40SW, .357Sig, and of course the 9mm. Maybe, not sure maybe the 45ACP." Well since it is for all intents and purposes a 41 Rem Mag without a rim then of course its ballistics are better. If you look real close it isn't hard to beat the 45 ACP ballistically. Even the 40 S&W can do it. It is hard to beat it as a manstopper though. Often times paper and theory don't mean much in the field. The main problem with the 10mm as a service cartridge is overpenetration, which is not a factor in a hunting cartridge. Personally I wouldn't have a Glock, so I guess I really don't ever see myself getting a 10mm.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:28 AM
bigcountry

So what are you basing this on Frizz? I mean overpenetration can be a function of bullet design. And can be modified. Look at the numbers 45ACP, lucky if you can find a hot load that will produce 490 ft/lbs of energy. Thats not just velocity mind you. Then keep in mind that that .45 bullet loses that energy alot faster at 20 yards than any of the auto bullets. The 10mm can produce over 500ft/lb and keep that energy longer. As far as manstopper, I have never killed anyone, but on the advise of a good freind, who has worked in the Special Ops here in Baltimore/DC area (ie lots of experience in killing), "with a good bullet like a hydroshok, the .45 and 10mm will stop just as easy in comparison". He loves wheel guns however and thinks the .357Mag is the best ever will be. He just won't carry a 9mm due to it took over 17 rounds to take down this rapist in baltimore.

What I am getting at, is neither of us has done studies, so what do we have to fall back on. Pure data and say so experience from people we know.

Quick Reply: Is the 10mm auto here to stay? Or fading away?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.