Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How to keep your crosshairs on target >

How to keep your crosshairs on target

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How to keep your crosshairs on target

Old 01-19-2008, 04:32 PM

Default How to keep your crosshairs on target

Im going to be rabbit hunting and I find it quite hard to keep the crosshairs on such a small target steady enough to shoot. Does it just take practice or is there any way to hold steady better? Thanks
Old 01-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to keep your crosshairs on target

For me it’s all about a steady hold as long as the target isn’t too far away...
Old 01-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i guess it just comes with practice and experience......
Old 01-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

PRACTICE IS NUMBER ONE, WRAP YOUR ARM IN THE SLING, AND THE THING THAT HELPED ME WAS TO BACK OFF ON THE SCOPE POWER. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE ZOOMED IN SUPER CLOSE TO KILL A RABBIT. WHEN YOU ARE THAT CLOSE YOU SEE THAT INCH YOU MOVED A A GREATER DISTANCE AND COMPENSATE WITH THE RIFLE TOO MUCH. A MILIMETER MOVE AT THE BARREL END WITH MAGNIFY GREATLY AT THE TARGET.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:48 PM

Take a deep breath let a little out and hold it put your crosshair on target and squeeze. It also helps to practice practice. Then practice some more. Good Luck.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take a rest...
Old 01-19-2008, 08:25 PM

I agree with Ruger, less power always helps. And you need to find a stable position to shoot from. Off hand shooting at bunnies with a high powered scope (6X or above) would be pretty hard. 3X off from a knee or or something stable like a tree, rock or fence post would be much easier. Or laying down with a decent bipod.

Paul
Old 01-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Offhand shooting takes plenty of practice, stance and breathing is 95% of the equation. Proper stance should be; feet about sholder width, strong arm leg slightly back, knees slightly bent, this will give you a stable platform. Next, body should be aligned with your bace, rifle up in sholder, trigger arm elevated level with ground just holding the but in the sholder. Forarm tucked into the body palm level with the ground and not grasping the rifle. Last breathing, on target take a deep breath and exhale, when the crosshairs align with the target hold your breathsqueeze the trigger and follow through. This is something that needs to be always practiced, you dont learn it overnite and it doesntstay with you!unfortunatly.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lots of practice and a good bit of breathing discipline.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:39 PM

Just brace your rifle on your hand against a tree. Even if it just a sapling. This is all assuming that bugs is sitting still, if he is running, and you are trying to shoot him through a scope, well then good luck.

Quick Reply: How to keep your crosshairs on target

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.