Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Olympic arms AR-15s >

Olympic arms AR-15s

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Olympic arms AR-15s

Old 01-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Olympic arms AR-15s

I asked this on the small game forum also just trying to get some opinions
on there guns they seem to be priced right I saw on there web sight one with a 16 inch bull barrel free floated flat top for $714. any opinions welcome thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 06:56 PM

Default RE: Olympic arms AR-15s

I'm not really into AR's, but I do know the Olympic Arms aren't well thought of amoung most of the AR crowd.

Last week on another forum, a sponsor tried to organize a group buy on Olympic Arms AR's. The effort turned out to be a failure because the vast majority of everyone responding wanted just about any other receiver other than an Olympic Arms. Several members complained about poor quality control.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know I'd say they aren't well thought of? Seems I've seen a couple guys on here who are pretty happy with theirs. Wait and see.

I know a couple guys from work who both bought them while "visiting" Washington awhile back, and neither of them have complained about them yet that I'm aware of. I would, on the other hand, like to see how they compare to my Rock River AR.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 PM

Oly arms is a satisfactory gun company. When it comes to basic AR parts one thing that they dont tell you is that the major companies contract many of their components to a few smaller companies. basically, RRA parts are gonna be mostly the same parts as DPMS or OLY ARMS.

the main distiguishing feature is the barrel. Last time i checked, OLY ARMs didnt offer chrome lined barrels standard on any model. but that only really an issue in LE or military use, even then that just makes cleaning alot easier. If you get a Stainless Steel Bull barrel youll see no difference between Oly arms and any other company.

i have aMUTAR-15 building it myselfwhen completed it will have a Bushmaster Barrel, RRA Upper, DPMS Bolt reciever, Stag Parts, CAA stock and CMMG lower...

Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 AM

I have two , O.A. AR's I built from there Parts ( matched upper & lower)and many more I built for customers , including some select fire M16's(lowers rec. were not O.A )and all were built with S/S heavy bbl's.( who needs chrome lined ). The only problem I have had and it was afterover twenty years , is a trigger sear partly sheared off on one of mine own and caused it to double tap once in a while. Mil. spec. triggers are really hard to work with to get a good trigger sear engagement , by working them you take off too much material and that reduces there workable life ( twenty years is pretty good ).
The new systems (match triggers ) were not available back then, like a lot of the upgrades available today.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

on there guns they seem to be priced right I saw on there web sight one with a 16 inch bull barrel free floated flat top for $714.
I might be off a bit, but the price seems pretty high for a flat top carbine upper, but wouldn't be a bad price for a complete rifle.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:52 AM

I would stay away if they are still using cast aluminum lower receivers...most of the other makers are forged. As an upper only, they may be OK...
Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: survival shop

I have two , O.A. AR's I built from there Parts ( matched upper & lower)and many more I built for customers , including some select fire M16's(lowers rec. were not O.A )and all were built with S/S heavy bbl's.( who needs chrome lined ). The only problem I have had and it was afterover twenty years , is a trigger sear partly sheared off on one of mine own and caused it to double tap once in a while. Mil. spec. triggers are really hard to work with to get a good trigger sear engagement , by working them you take off too much material and that reduces there workable life ( twenty years is pretty good ).
The new systems (match triggers ) were not available back then, like a lot of the upgrades available today.
Be careful, according to the BATF you have a machine gun and could be prosecuted.According to arecent ruling ANY gun that malfunctions andcooks off a few is now a machine gun, including a double barrel shotgun thatmalfunctions and fires both barrels.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59650

The guys a member at AR15.com and kept us all up to date through the whole thing.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=507483&page=1

If you don't feel like reading 34 pages... He loaned a gun out to friend and it malfunctioned at the rangewhere some cops just happened to see it and the friend got arrested. Guy hears about it goes down to the police station to clear it up and gets told he's being charged too. BATFtakes the gunto "inspect" it and can't get it tofire in "full auto" again. It's tested again with soft primered ammunition and 50% of the time they get it to MALFUNCTION (as in not timed fire but just cooking a fewrounds off then jamming). They go tocourt and the BATF refuses to provideevidence that proves the mans innocence(product recalls, open letters, another court case going on at the exact same time where the BATF isclaiming that the exact same model of rifle is not considered a machinegun)...even going to the point of lying to a federal judge. Guys appealing right now and is probably going to get off once allowed to enter that evidence.

Oh and it was an olympic arms AR that started it all

Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 PM

ohiohillbilly
Was repaired the next day with newdisconnect,trigger and hammer and I also stopped shooting it as soon as I discovered what was going on .I have heard of a lot of horror stories like that. When I was a class three dealer , I was sent a sten gun (full auto ) with a full auto FN HBI ordered and of course I contacted the company that I bought the FN from and they said" we wondered where that went " , it was packaged with The FNHB, some one knew it was in there, sent it packing the same day and it had to be signed for to be picked up . Then I came to find out that the ATF was entrapping class three dealers by sending them weapons they did not order and guess what they were sending them , yes, Sten guns.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

this is a whole rifle for $714 I have also found them on gunsamerica.com for as little as $659 and the same gun with a 20 inch barrel for $700