Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Any experience with AR-15 manufacturers? >

Any experience with AR-15 manufacturers?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Any experience with AR-15 manufacturers?

Old 02-03-2003, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any experience with AR-15 manufacturers?

I have been looking into AR-15 rifles. I would like to add one to my collection just for the sheer fun of shooting it and for coyote hunting. It sounds like the varmint barrels are producing very nice accuracy. The question I have concerns the manufacturers. Colt, Rock River, Bushmaster, and Olympic Arms to name a few. I really wouldn't know how to rate these company's quality and/or accuracy wise. Does anyone here have any experience with the companies mentioned, good or bad. I would appreciate hearing your experience and/or comments. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2003, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Any experience with AR-15 manufacturers?

I have dealt with Bushmaster and have found their Customer Service to be superb. Their products are some of if not the best out there. I have not however purchased or fired one of their AR's. I owned one of their M-17S Bullpups in .223. An excellent firearm and a blast to shoot.
The only reason I got rid of that rifle was to enable me to pick up my CETME in 7.62 NATO. Bigger round, greater power and longer effective range. If you want a .223 though I would highly recommend Bushmaster.

“He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." -Albert Einstein
Old 02-03-2003, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have a DPMS Panther and really like it. I would rate it right up there with any other AR. I have also handled and shot both bushmasters and Rock River Arms. My DPMS is a 24" heavy barrel with 6-24x40 scope and will shoot as good as any bolt gun out there. Sub inch groups at 200 yards are common. With heavier bullets I have had good luck all the way out to 400 years. I have shot several really tight groups at that range. I would like to get a second ar to fill the light short range niche since my DPMS is a heavy varmint style. I have been looking a lot at the RRA Elite Tacticle UTE lately. I think it would be a great rifle also. I would rank the ARs at DPMS/Bushmaster, RRA, and Olympic arms. In that order
Old 02-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help. Another manufacturer that has been thrown in the mix is Armalite. I have heard good things about them.

Old 02-06-2003, 09:06 AM

I own a Colt AR15-A2 H-BAR. Awesome accuracy. I have shot 200 yd sub one inch groups with peep site. Just incredible. Have not had any problems with it. I have heard good stuff about Armalite, adn Bushmaster as well. I think most manfacturers of the AR15 do a pretty good job. You cannot go wrong with any that have been memtioned in this post.

**NRA Life Member since 1991**

Why am I sittin here on this stupid PC when I could be huntin'
Old 02-06-2003, 04:28 PM

I read an article in "Guns" magazine about the new Les Baer (I think that's how they spell his name) AR 15. They raved about it. All in house manufacturing. Super accurate. Reasonably priced (under 2 grand). If I was in the market for an AR I'd definitely look into that.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:05 PM

....under 1" groups at 200 yds with the factory sights?
................ that's .. ahem... good shooting.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 02-15-2003, 02:19 AM
Fork Horn

This is my DPMS Panther. My dad and I have both had DPMS ARs and the quality was outstanding. My panther is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot and continually amazes me. It will shoot almost anything into an inch at 100 yards and will do better than half that with several loads. I have a few loads for it that will shoot sub inch out to 200 yards consistantly, depending on wind. My all time best 400 yard group was with a 68gr MHP at 2850fps and was just over 1.25" 5 shot group. I have shot enough 2-3" groups to make them common but my average at 400 is usually closer to 3" though, and a little wind can open that up quite a bit.

Old 02-15-2003, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Josh,

Thanks for the info and the pic. What a beauty!

Is that a 24" barrel? Did you have any work done on your trigger?

I haven' t been able to locate any DPMSs.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Antler eater-
Yes it is a 24" barrel. I got the target trigger that DPMS sells but am thinking about getting a jard trigger for it. From what I have heard the jard triggers are super nice, very adjustable, single stage triggers. My DPMS has a light trigger at just over 3lbs but it is a very long trigger pull and I think I would like the shorter single stage jard trigger better. It is one of those things I will probably get to this summer when I have more money to play with. You can find DPMS around several places if you look. There are always several on gunbroker and I know that you can have pretty much any gun dealer order you one directly through DPMS. Below is a link to thier website.
http://www.dpmsinc.com

Quick Reply: Any experience with AR-15 manufacturers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.