Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 shotgun vs. rifle >

shotgun vs. rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun vs. rifle

Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 PM

Default shotgun vs. rifle

I'm new to hunting and was wondering why some hunt deer with shotguns and some rifles. I know rifles are more accurate at greater distances than shot, but why else would someone choose one over the other. are their advantages to one over the other? what kind of rifle or shotgun would anyone recommend for a new hunter? thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 PM

Default RE: shotgun vs. rifle

because in some areas, only shotguns are allowed, often times because houses are closer together, and rifles bullets are deadly for such a long range. shotgun slugs have a short trajectory compared to rifle bullets
Old 01-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Newfield got it right. Check your state and county regulations and see if they are legal first.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 AM
DM

Just get a combo gun, and then you will have it covered either way... lol

DM
Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 AM

so no other advantages other than distance for the rifle. does it really just come down to preference then? also if you do shoot a shotgun why a slug over shot? Do you use slugs for turkey as well?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Slugs have a much greater range than buck shot a little over 100 yards for me with open sights (with a rest), and again, it is a matter of legality. In Iowa you must use a single projectile for deer. I've read that 40 yards is about tops with shot. Some guys with sabot slugs, scopes, and such, can take deer at 200 yards. A slug is lethal until it is slowed down by hitting something.

I do not hunt turkeys yet, to my great shame as I have permission on a lot of ground, but in Iowa shot is required and I think a slug would blow up a turkey anyway. Rifle sights or scopes are used with tight chokes and not real big shot. The idea is for a head shot and the shot size is often chosen base on patterning on a turkey target. You need multiple hits in the head and neck and each gun and load patterns differently.

Bob
Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Spike

imo a shogun is the better choice. It's just more versitile. you are not limited to a gun that is only good for large varmit and big game. a shot gun alows you to waterfowl upland game and big game. you can ethically shoot a 150-200 yard shot with sabots.though you will want a rifled barrel for slugs. And I think that most states have outlawed buck shot for deer. For turkey you will want a full choke to keep your pattern tight. most shotguns will come with a couple diff chokes. jmo
Old 01-17-2008, 04:54 PM

I'm laughin my a$$ off at this one...You got that right RR
Old 01-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ryharris...Looks like you live down in SC...Remember down there it's popular to hunt deer with dogs and when they come by a hunter they have a 12 gauge shotgun in their hands loaded with buckshot...So where you live that's why the guys might use a shotgun...

Now, if they are deer hunting over say a soybean or corn field and sitting in a tower blind, they are probably going to have a scoped, bolt action rifle in their hands, because the deer move into the field to feed and the rifle is more accurate than a shot gun slug and has more speed so you can kill deer out past 300 yards...

In both cases the style of hunting dictates the weapon used...
Old 01-18-2008, 06:30 AM

thanks for the helpful info guys, itskinda hard understanding all this stuff for a new hunter.