Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sighting in at close rang >

sighting in at close rang

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sighting in at close rang

Old 01-13-2008, 03:31 PM

Default sighting in at close rang

My buddy bought a browning A-bolt medallion in 270 WSM and the salesman told him to sight it in at 27 yards and it would be dead on at 200. does anyone know if this is true? he hasnt had a chance to shoot at that distance yet so i dont know if it is true. It it is true does anyone know it something like that would work for my 25-06?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:53 PM

Default RE: sighting in at close rang

I don't have the exact trajectory figures before me but I can tell you it's pretty close to the truth. Bullets don't fly in a straight line, of course. Neither to they come out of the barrel and start dropping. Your gun actually launches bullet slightly upward (depending on how far you are sighted in) and the bullet goes up for a while and then finally starts curving downwards. By "sighting in" a person has adjusted his sights so that when the bullet comes down it goes through the right spot and the chosen range.

What this means to the shooter is there are actually TWO points on the bullets path where it passes exactly through where you are aiming. One close up to you where the bullet is still on the rise...and one farther out where it comes back through your point of aim the second time.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

In THEORY it is true...I've heard 23 yards, 25 and 27...

In PRACTICE, you should always try your rifle at different yardages...

I typically sight in about 2-3 inches high at 100...This will put most centerfires with a mv of 2800-3100fps dead on again around 225-250 yards and about 3-6 inches low at 300...

But...You need to shoot your gun with the same ammo you will hunt with to really nail it down...

If you can have 300 yard shots try this...Sight in 3 inches high at 100...Try it at 200, 250 and 300, then you know if you should hold a little low or a little high on a deer...

Even if most shots you take are within 100 yards, I would still sight in (assuming for deer) about 1 1/2 to 2 inches high at 100 yards...This insures you that if you get a shot at 200 you will connect...
Old 01-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on the scope height above the centerline of the bore, velocity, and a few other factors. There's no substitute for sighting in at the ranges that you anticipate taking your shots at.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

True, but the scope must be sighted-in near perfectly to remain accurate at a distance. If it's off a couple mm at 27, it'll be way off at 200.

Start off close, but shoot it at a distance to verify.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use 35 yards. At one of the clubs that I've worked at, all of the rifles that were sighted in for deer hunting were sighted at 35 yards, with a .270 you should be less than 1/2" high at 200 yards if you sight in at 35 and your second crossing will be about 210 yards.

Other factors come into play such as scope height above the bore and different loads used, bt sighted at 35 yards will get you right where you want to be.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

I don't have the exact trajectory figures before me but I can tell you it's pretty close to the truth. Bullets don't fly in a straight line, of course. Neither to they come out of the barrel and start dropping. Your gun actually launches bullet slightly upward (depending on how far you are sighted in) and the bullet goes up for a while and then finally starts curving downwards.
Actually, gravity begins working on the bullet immediately. If the barrel is perfectly level, then the bullet does "come out of the barrel and start dropping." Sighting systems are set up such that, when aiming, the barrel has a slightly upward cant, thus propelling the bullet above the line of sight. Gravity then works to bring the bullet back to the line of sight at the targeted distance.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

I don't have the exact trajectory figures before me but I can tell you it's pretty close to the truth. Bullets don't fly in a straight line, of course. Neither to they come out of the barrel and start dropping. Your gun actually launches bullet slightly upward (depending on how far you are sighted in) and the bullet goes up for a while and then finally starts curving downwards.
Actually, gravity begins working on the bullet immediately. If the barrel is perfectly level, then the bullet does "come out of the barrel and start dropping." Sighting systems are set up such that, when aiming, the barrel has a slightly upward cant, thus propelling the bullet above the line of sight. Gravity then works to bring the bullet back to the line of sight at the targeted distance.
For sure IPSC. Gravity works 24/7.Your explanation was more clear than mine.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Correct. The bullet never rises above the line of bore. It is the angle of the scope or sights to the bore that provides a rise above the line of sight by the bullet. The bullet then will drop past the line of bore at a range determined by the angle of sight to bore. The less of an angle, the longer the range before it drops back past, and vice/versa.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

andlan17:

Go to: www.norma.cc www.handloads.com www.realguns.com ,and enter the data and see. Good luck.

Quick Reply: sighting in at close rang

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.