Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 old war pistol >

old war pistol

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

old war pistol

Old 01-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: old war pistol

I had a QUIMMEEwhen I saw your pictures. I wish I had some of my Grandfather's war things. The items you have are worth some money, but they should be far more important to the family than a couple of thousand dollars. I can not believe the son just gave this stuff away without any concern.

Every single item you have there deserves to be put up on the wall. I only have one photo of my Grandfather in his uniform, and to me it is priceless. Tom.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

"I can not believe the son just gave this stuff away without any concern."

Me either, HEAD, but you'd be surprised at the heirlooms some people will justgive OR THROW away, just to "get rid of all that old stuff"!(Ever watch Antiques Roadshow?)
Old 01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I buddy of mine has a stainless steel one his dad used. We went hog hunting last year and he took it. It hasn't had a box of ammo shot through it since the war and my friend was using the 50 year old rounds still. He tested a few before the hunt and they shot fine he said.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 PM

thanks for the replys every one. ive got her dad searching high and low for more things. suposable theres a bunch of letters and some more pictures he sent home somewhere but there house is kind of a mess soim not sure when or if they will show up.

theres also complete guns in the house in a display case and some in the trunk of a old car in the garage. ive never payed much attention to them before so i dont know if there military or not, he died in the early 90s and aparently picked up some guns betweenwhen he was in the warand when he died. both him and his father were hunters but he hasent been huntingin about 4 years.ill have to ask my inlaws if i can take a picture of the guns in the case when i go down there next, hopefully ill be able to swing by after dinner.

ive got some storys, both war and back ground before and after the war about the soldier in question but the wife is bugging me to go to dinner so ill be back in a few hours[:'(]
Old 01-15-2008, 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

I buddy of mine has a stainless steel one his dad used. We went hog hunting last year and he took it. It hasn't had a box of ammo shot through it since the war and my friend was using the 50 year old rounds still. He tested a few before the hunt and they shot fine he said.
A stainless what? Which war was his dad in?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure if it was WW2 or Korea. I have held it and it also said Remington Rand Property of the U.S. Army.

I said Satinless Steel but I meant Nickel finish. Sorry my mistake.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:47 PM

O.K. the stainless part through me. It's shame he ruined any collector value with the nickle job, but a lot of guy did back then. They just weren't thinking about long term value.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what I was told that is the way he recieved in issued to him. He mailed it back home to his wife a few weeks before he was to come home and never really shot it since then hence having the same issued ammo. It really just went into a drawer and stayed there for a few decades until he gave it to my friend. It has some rust spots on the surface and is in real need of an overhall.The family isn't really big on having super nice looking guns, I have seen what they hunt with and its all practical.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:30 AM

It was never issued with a nickle finish. I can assure you that. He or someone else along the line refinished the pistol.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jtb1967

It was never issued with a nickle finish. I can assure you that. He or someone else along the line refinished the pistol.
Right! The early Army (government) M1911's were blued; the later ones were parkerized. Any that have a different finish got it after they were "retired from service".

Quick Reply: old war pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.