Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Can Someone Explain to Me >

Can Someone Explain to Me

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Can Someone Explain to Me

Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Can Someone Explain to Me

ORIGINAL: trailer

I can’t explain about mark up but I do know that raw material and fuel prices have gone up. Has anyone gone out to purchase a spool of 14/2 copper wire lately!!!
On some of our R&D products we are workin on, we use solid gold for use of coatings, and its killing us. Over 800 dollars an ounce

Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

But I assure you, all independents are not this cheap.
Oh absolutely right on that most are not anywhere that cheap. He almost apologizes anytime I bring ammo to the counter to check out.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:35 AM
bigcountry

OEH, next time your over there, could you check how much 2.75" remington coppersolid 1oz slugs are there. This is the whats kicking me in the butt right now.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

BC sent you a pm
Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

"About the only thing we can do is bend over and take it."

Spoken like a model "screw-ee!" This attitude is what the "screw-ers" love to hear.

"I think we are being SCREWED!!! What can we do about it???"

I agree with your hypothesis. A price increase due to metal prices and transportation costs (ie, oil pricces) would pretty much cause a relatively uniform increase in the price of all ammo, not just that which is loaded with premium components.

We ARE being screwed, and just as with gasoline prices, you can bitch all you want, BUT our only weapon is to reduce demand. IF we keep buying at the present rate, nothing will change. IF we cut down on the amount we buy, and the ammo starts clogging up the distribution system, prices will drop.

I say stop buying factory ammo. Eithershoot less, or reload your brass- and use cast bullets wherever possible!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: steelerzzz

Jeez...I hate to get political with this...but you can thank the current administration for the total mess the economy in general is in. We are in a flat out reccession!
I don't know how you figure this, but I hate to bust your bubble. Far from being in a mess, the U.S. economy today is in better shape than it has ever been. Just one example is the fact that the stock markets are clsong these days higher than ever before in history. There is on e nbig sore spot, however, the current price of oil. If anyone is to blame for that, it is OPEC. And the last time I checked, the President of the U.S. has no control at all over OPEC. Actually, Hugo Chavez has more to say about what OPEC does thangeorge Bush has. NEITHER major party has done a damn thing to reduce our dependency on foreign oil - only the people at large can do that-by using less gasoline!! We as a nation have become so used to waiting for the government to save us that we've forgotten that ultimately, we are individually responsible for our own fates.....
Old 01-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

For instance, when I bought a 300RUM when it first came out, you could buy it for 30 dollars a box. But i notice lately people telling me its 50 dollars a box. So I see both sides.
I just looked at the price for 50 rounds of Win. .218 Bee from Sportsman's Guide. This stuff has always sold for 5X-6X what it cost me to load the same number of rounds in new cases, BUT $66.00+ per box is a tad on thge ridiculous side!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

For instance, when I bought a 300RUM when it first came out, you could buy it for 30 dollars a box. But i notice lately people telling me its 50 dollars a box. So I see both sides.
I just looked at the price for 50 rounds of Win. .218 Bee from Sportsman's Guide. This stuff has always sold for 5X-6X what it cost me to load the same number of rounds in new cases, BUT $66.00+ per box is a tad on thge ridiculous side!
I agree. I feel the same about saboted slugs these days. I was telling someone they are up to 3-4 dollars a shot. Thats premium dangerous game ammo. And they can't say its because of low sales. There are a whole lot of slug only states these days.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello
I agree with your hypothesis. A price increase due to metal prices and transportation costs (ie, oil pricces) would pretty much cause a relatively uniform increase in the price of all ammo, not just that which is loaded with premium components.

I say stop buying factory ammo. Eithershoot less, or reload your brass- and use cast bullets wherever possible!

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY. HOWEVER ELDEQUELLO PUT IT MUCH MORE ELEGANTLY.

I worked in the hunting industry for years. And the company I worked for was the largest ammunition distributor in the world. And I can say with 100% confidence that the retail price of premium ammo is not based on the cost to manufacture. It is based solely on what they think they can get.

I remember when Winchester "Supreme" ammo came out. The mfr. was giving sales incentives of close to $1.00 a box for every box I sold. At the same time if I sold a box of SuperX I made $.06---yes 6 cents. IWOULD REALLY LIKE SOMEONE TO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THIS AMMUNITION COSTS MORE TO MFR. OH YA THE BRASS WAS MORE SHINY!!

Why do you think the mfrs. are so excited about all the new cartridges?? The 17HMR is a 22 magnum case!! The 17 caliber bullet weighs less-so it has less raw materials. But yet the ammo sold at a premium of 65% over 22 magnum ammo. Give me a break. THE 17HMR IS THE BIGGEST GIMMICK THE SHOOTING INDUSTRY HAS HAD IN A LONG TIME. Tom.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. I feel the same about saboted slugs these days. I was telling someone they are up to 3-4 dollars a shot. Thats premium dangerous game ammo. And they can't say its because of low sales. There are a whole lot of slug only states these days.
I can remember selling 12 gauge slugs for $1.75 a box. I made a whopping 2 cents per box on that sale.

Slug prices are up because the mfr. wants or needs to make X amount of dollars for every box of ammo sold. It does not matter if it is a 5, 10, 20, 40, or 50 round box. They do not base their markup on a percentage. They base it on per box sold. Why do you think they do not sell slugs in a 25 round box?? They do not sell them that way because hunter's would split a box. And to the mfr. that is a NO NO. That would mean only one profit amount instead of two. The day's of retail cost based on mfr. costs are long gone.

The easy way to prove this is with turkey loads. Why do you think they went to a 10 round box. Then all you read about in the gun magazines is "well since you only have to buy ten rounds you can go out and buy several boxes to experiment with in your shotgun". Then after you get the load you want you have to go out and buy another box, because you do not have enough to hunt with. YA RIGHT. Tom.

Quick Reply: Can Someone Explain to Me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.