Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Got my .243

Old 01-07-2008, 05:31 PM

Default Got my .243

Well my savage 16 in .243 with the accutrigger arrived today. I went and picked it up from the gun store after work and brought it home. I was sort of surprised at how light it feels. I'm sure after mounting the scope it will be a bit heavier though.

Speaking of, I was all excited to see what it would look like with the silver Leupold base and the black rings and black scope. I went to put the mount on and it didn't fit[:@]. The package says 10-16 savages, and I looked it up on Leupold's website and it says I have the right part number. However this thing does not come close to fitting. It is too short for one, and the rear of the base is flat, where as my receiver is round in the rear. If this is supposed to be the correct mount for my gun someone at Leupold is smoking crack if they think I am mounting it that way.

I mean I'm no master gunsmith, but do these pics look right to you?

The freakin' front of the base is not even touching the receiver when you put the rear screw in![]

My problem is if these are the correct listed mounts and they don't fit, what mounts to I actually need? And since these don't work, if I can get my money back at Gander Mountain I will probably get Warn bases and mounts instead. That is what I had before and I really liked them. I just thought the silver base would look nice on this gun. But then again I will have to be sure they are actually the correct bases.

I am really disappointed I couldn't mount the scope to see what it will look like. I wanted to mount the scope and take some pictures to post[&o].

Paul
Old 01-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Got my .243

You'll love the .243 ... after you get the right base for it. That one doesn't look right. Looks like someone may have accidently switched bases/boxes.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:49 PM

That is what I thought at first, but the base actually has SAV10RH stamped right on it. I'm at a loss on this one.

The gun dealer told me I will really love this gun. He thought I would probably like it even more had they sold it to me though. He said this gun in .243 was a wicked combo. I asked him if he thought it would shoot the lighter bullets very well because I had heard on the internet the lighter bullets were too light and fast to shoot well out of standard .243's. He told me that people were having very good luck with the Hornady 58 grn Vmax's and they were worth a try to see how my gun liked them. I was thinking winchester 55 grn but these would work too.

I honestly don't know when I will get a chance to shoot it though. I need to find a suitable place to sight in a high powered rifle, and I don't belong to a gun club at the moment. I have one really close to me that is affordable, but it only has a 100 yard range. There is another one a bit farther away with a ton of stuff, like 50, 100, 200 yard rifle ranges, indoor and outdoor pistol range, indoor and outdoor archery, skeet/trap and other stuff. But it is around $150 a year for membership.

Paul
Old 01-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know some like that one piece base, but I prefer the Dual Dove tail bases...
See if they make that in stainless...Other than that, you will love a .243...It's wicked on deer...
Old 01-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

I bought one of the mod 16 with fluted barrel in 243,tried some loads that I had good results with out of my rem 243 and they shot just as well out of the savage.It will shoot 55gr bullets up to 105 gr,The 105 shot fair but not like the lesser weight bullets.
Looks like the scope base may be sitting on the recoil lug,I put burris bases and signature rings on mine and still had to grind some off the front base because it was on the recoil lug.
Below is a target shooting 55gr and 100 gr bullets out of the mod 16.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

They must have sent you a base for a mod. 116, mine is flat on the rear of the receiver.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Is that the new model with the centerfeed magazine or is the magazine staggered feed?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

My Ruger M77 .243 win seems to like the 55 grain winchester ballistic silvertips -- i was getting like .6" groups this weekend.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

The older models 10-16 had flat rear receivers (no accu-trigger) while the newer ones are round. You just need to exchange for the newer type. But...if the new one only has one screw hole in the rear like the one in your picture does, I wouldn't use it anyways.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:52 AM

I just picked up a Savage model 11 in 243 (my Christmas present) and just got to shoot it over the weekend

The twist on this is 1:9.25 and seems to shoot the 55 gr noslers very well. This was at 50 yards

I tried four different bullets, left to right is
95 gr Nosler winchester
70 gr Nosler Federal V SHOK
55 gr Nosler winchester
55 gr Nosler Federal V SHOK

Then at 100

Top right 55 gr Nosler Federal V SHOK
Bottom right 55 gr Nosler winchester
Bottom left 70 gr Nosler Federal V SHOK
Center 95 gr Nosler winchester

I'll start experimenting with my own loads soon but I think it's gonna be a shooter

This is mine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.