Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR-15 ?'s

Old 12-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default AR-15 ?'s

I am very interested in purchasing an AR-15. First I had just a few questions. First, I'm not sure, but from a site I looked at I'm getting the impression that I don't need any special liscense, but the dealer I get the gun transferred to must have an FFL. Is that correct?

Also, I'm much more familiar with Remington's and Ruger's than I am with AR manufacturers. Anyone have a suggestion between these two? Or maybe a better one with similar price range?

http://atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=50

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=298
Old 12-17-2007, 09:59 PM

Default RE: AR-15 ?'s

Never heard for atlanticfirearms. I would suggest going with one of the big companies. Colt, Armalite, DPMS, Rock River. I'll be honest, I haven't opened the link. BUt you can get most of the ones listed above for $1000 or less DEPENDING on the model.

GOod luck

Old 12-17-2007, 10:02 PM

Ok, sorry, I just opened the links. I would go with the DPMS. That is just my opinion. I have one, and I love it. I didn't think till after I posted that atlantic firearms was the store selling them. (there are just soo many companies now making AR typr Rifles)

Old 12-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

Well the top link is a DPMS, and that is $670.

Any idea on the liscense?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lordgunner: I'm not aware of any states that require a special license to acquire an AR. Certainly not required here in Texas. Other states and even cities might have regulations that may apply. California is certainly not AR-friendly. You might get better advice on this issue if you let us know where you live.

As far as the choices you've listed, I think that DPMS has a better rep than Olympic.

You might want to post your questions on one of the forums dedicated to black rifles. I think www.ar15.com is one of the bigger and better forums.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice. Haha yeah, Cal. is a little liberal.

I live in Iowa so I'm kind of doubting there are laws.

Also, I tried that website last night, but I'm not able to register because they don't except Yahoo emails. I'll try again though.

Thanks

Old 12-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's weird... My link to www.ar15.com is sending me to www.ar-15.com (which I don't think is nearly as good).

Edit: Aaaah... That's better.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:46 PM

There are alot of options with AR's.
You can buy a complete gun or the Upper and Lower Separately. The lower is the only thing that has to be sent to a FFL. Uppers can be sent directly to your house like a pair of shoes.
I am sure you know the following but just in case it is essential information.
Once you have a lower you can buy any number of uppers from any manufacture(except for colt)and they will fit on that lower, in other word about all AR parts are interchangable from manu-manu.

One thing that is important to consider is what are you planning to use it for?
If you are wanting to use it to varmintor target shoot witha scope then a vamint style upper would be best as they have a flat top rail to mount a scope on.
If you want a gun that looks like one that the millitary uses that you shoot open sights or want to put red dots and flashlights then a service(?) model mightbe better for you.

When I bought my AR this fall I did alot of research and bought my lower separate and decided on a RRA with the National match trigger. For the upper I bought a White Oak Armament 26" varmint Upper. I have less than $1000 in it and I feel like it is really nice.
John at WOA is a top notch guy and is one of the premier upper builders in the country and builds alot of uppers for top national competitors. I remember hearing his uppers did very well at camp perry this year.
Good Luck on your decision.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:00 AM

Don't get an Olympic, may want to check out CMMG's bargain bin internet specials if you just want a basic model...

Good Brands (as a general rule)
Stag
RRA
Armalite
Bushmaster
DPMS

Old 12-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

have looked at atlanticfirearms they do not make the guns they sell them

i have had tw bushmasters oenw ith a dpms upper

i would go ushmaster or dpms bushmaster being my above all first choice they allow you to use 5.56 or .223 most others willnot allow 5.56 do to the higher power and you can buy 5.56 alot cheaper then .223 if you go surplus
669 not a bad price but i would spend the extra 100 to 150 for a bushmaster
ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

Never heard for atlanticfirearms. I would suggest going with one of the big companies. Colt, Armalite, DPMS, Rock River. I'll be honest, I haven't opened the link. BUt you can get most of the ones listed above for $1000 or less DEPENDING on the model.

GOod luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.