Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Guns and loads for Africa. >

Guns and loads for Africa.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Guns and loads for Africa.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Guns and loads for Africa.

So why mauser over say Remington Safari or one of the Winchester Safari? Me I'm thinking a 416 Rigby in the Remington Safari Stainless but with the laminated stock, using Barnes 400 grain banded solids, at least for the Dangerous stuff. For the plains game RemingtonABG in 375 H&H using 300 grain Swift A-Frame. I think for the 416 Rigby 2 inches at 100 yards would be great, the 375 H&H1.5 at 100 yards at least.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: crimedog

Sitting here on a Sunday morning and dreaming, lets say you were taking a trip to hunt whatever you wanted Cape Buf, Crocs, Elephant, Hippo, Kudo, etc. what gun or guns would you take and hey while I'm dreaming what loads would you work up or buy and what would you call accurate enough knowing your shots will mostly be offhand and with big bores?
For the game on your list, I would use my .416 Rigby with Barnes TSX 400-grain bullets for lion, and Barnes banded solids for elephant, Cape Buffalo and hippo. I'd use a 7X57mm,.280 Remington, or 7mm Rem. Mag. with 175-grain Nosler Partition bullets for leopard and allnon-dangerous game. Only 2 rifles needed...... rifles would be CRF bolt-actions or Ruger No. 1 single shots..... I don't think Remington makes a .416 Rigby. They make a .416 Remington, but they don't make an action big enough for the Rigby cartridge.....
Old 12-16-2007, 08:55 PM

I hope you are joking. I would take a .416, or maybe a .460, and if you plan to hunt elephant, take a .505 Double Rifle. That will put 'em down
Old 12-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

So why mauser over say Remington Safari or one of the Winchester Safari?
2 reasons, though a Winchester would be OK in my book:

1. A mauser extractor isn't going to break when you have something big and angry bearing down on you. Remington extractors are very reliable on standard chamberings but have been known to break on magnums.

2. Controlled Round Feed action- A claw extractor on a Mauser or winchester won't allow a double feed type of jam which can happen under severe stress. The downside is that a rifle has to be correctly fitted for it to work- military mausers are commonly rechambered for magnums, especially the .458 WM, if its done by a garage gunsmith that doesn't know the intricacies of mausers, the rifle can jam up tight when feeding from one side or other of the magazine.

I probably will go to Africa before I get too old, but it won't be for any dangerous game, a 30-06 will suffice for what I'm looking at doing.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:23 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....Me I'm thinking a 416 Rigby in the Remington Safari Stainless...."
"....if you plan to hunt elephant, take a .505 Double Rifle...."
Like I was saying, you need to go to:

www.accuratereloading.com

Get the straight stuff from those who know.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Your right they don't have the Rigby.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

444 Marlin..
Old 12-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I already have them I would use my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H and my Marlin .450 loaded with solid points.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

.416 Wby. Mag., and .30-378 Wby. Magin Weatherby Mark V Safri Grade Custom, Weatherby Mark V Dangerous Game Rifle, or DakotaModel 76 African.Good luck.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

Yeah, I agree you're posting the question in the wrong place. This is the deer hunter forum, nobody here knows diddly about Africa. Didn't you see where the title said "Guns"? It actually means "which 30 caliber short mag should I buy, because a 30-06 just wont kill anymore"

In regards to your question, which I belive was about guns,Winchester Super Grade 375 H&H. Works for Harry Selby, would work for me too.

Quick Reply: Guns and loads for Africa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.