Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 scout rifles.. >

scout rifles..

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scout rifles..

Old 12-14-2007, 08:07 PM

Default RE: scout rifles..

Well, ive tried to post pics but it keeps saying ERROR....ill see what i can do....
Old 12-14-2007, 08:38 PM

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/m77_121405/

Just a quick review...
Old 12-14-2007, 08:50 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

One thing I never hear mentioned about the downbore scopes is their reduced visibility in low light. Unfortunately, that's when the hunting is usually the best.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

to post pics, upload them to your pc, then make a photobucket account(free and stores your pics online and pretty simple..) then copy the image code and paste it in the message...pretty simple and worth while if you spend a decint time on forums or anything...

thanx for the info thus far guys....really dont when i'll get around to it...was just looking for info/pics..scopes etc...i'll get to it one day...for alot of my hunting, thats probably the perfect rifle...though, a remington pump falls to a close second...the forward mounted scope and shooting both eyes open will just allow for a really quick shot...

but, ive never had trouble with a 40mm scope set on 3x for close shooting it thick woods...just kinda, overkill carrying a big ole rifle and big ole scope...

will actually work out better for me waiting...if i end up in maine or alaska or somewhere(very well may end up there) id like one in a big 30cal...358 or 338 federal sounds nice...make a good bear/elk/moose etc for the still hunting/thick woods hunting...man i bet that little sucker would really lay out some recoil in 358 though right now, my gun buying is done till i graduate college except maybe another pistol or 2...i know by the end of summer im gunna need a new vehicle..thats top priority...after that i'll only have a year of college...if i dont settle down, i will be buying as many toys as possible...rather get them while im single and have the cash...

but id definently like to play with a scout rifle setup with a forward mounted scope..might be something i like, but i also might not like it..
Old 12-15-2007, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jlbspd

This is a "new" concept to alot of people, this scout setup idea, although its been around for yrs. To me there is no faster way to get on target and get a shot off. This is the reason swat teams / military around the world have gone to such a setup. FAST TARGET Acquisition is the name of the game when your hunting shorter range and heavy cover. Try doing this with a standard rifle and a high powered scope. Example- yourdeeror whatever isin heavy cover, at close range and not sticking around for his picture to be taken.... try this- Go out and pick up your rifle, pick a target at 50-100 yrds..think of this target traveling at aSTEADY pace as if it was on a mission and its in heavy cover. Now see how fast you can get your "high" powered scope with short eye relief on that target and pull a shot while its moving, before it would disappear. Some can do it, some think they can do it and others better not think about it at all LOL... It will be accepted by some and not others. It takes practice. The beauty of this is you hunt with both eyes open, another adopted training method of law enforcement special teams. This allows you to see everything else while staying on your target. Also, something ive found out is you can take a scout rifle or any rifle for that matter, fling it around, pretend going thru the motions, you then can take the scope of choice, peek thru it pretending its on the gun.... but it doesnt all come together until you mate the two together...then its true beauty...my opinions though
The trick to FAST target acquisition with a scope mounted in the traditional spot is to KEEP BOTH EYES OPEN, at least until you see the target in your scope. This is at least as fast as with the scope way out on the end of the gun, and a lot less clumsy! In addition, long eye-reliefscopes, even of low magnification, have quite small fields of view. IF you use a standard scope of similar magnification as a scout scope, the field of view is HUGE in comparison! I use a 6X42 fixed-power Kahles Helia on my elk rifle. It is plenty fast when you keep both eyes open, and I have no problem immediately acquiring targets as close as 25 yards in black timber with it the very instant the butt of that Ruger No. 1B hits my shoulder. Yes, it does require practice. Developing ANY shooting skill requires practice. Many people instinctively close their off eye. Then, they strt "hunting around" for the target while looking thru the scope with one eye. That is a BIG MISTAKE! No wonder they have difficulty finding a moving target!
Old 12-15-2007, 07:56 AM

Well, remember we all have our likes and dislikes. Thats what makes this such a great place...we can exchange info, experiences and such, take what we like and apply it. As for opened eyed high power scopes...you are absolutely right but unfortunately bad habits are hard to break and passed down bad advice is even harder to forget lol. Many people are not able or willing to learn the open eye technic. Its very difficult to use high power and only your dominant eye, but i agree with you eldequello. As for the cumbersome comment....i have to disagreei find the forward mounting of a scope is much for user friendly. It puts the scope out in front allowing you a clear instant target acquisition with eye closed or open, moves it away to prevent forehead / scope contact upon fire resulting in a bandaide and some Advil lol..., it allows for easy viewing & access for internal inspection, as for low light, i have found no difference between a scout setup and a standard setup. Feild of view is normally different but then again, with both eyes open its not really an issue. Im a supporter of this setup gosh dangit! HEHEHEEEE how ever you do it, what ever you use, do it well and do it right!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:56 AM
FA
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jlbspd

Well, remember we all have our likes and dislikes. Thats what makes this such a great place...we can exchange info, experiences and such, take what we like and apply it. As for opened eyed high power scopes...you are absolutely right but unfortunately bad habits are hard to break and passed down bad advice is even harder to forget lol. Many people are not able or willing to learn the open eye technic. Its very difficult to use high power and only your dominant eye, but i agree with you eldequello. As for the cumbersome comment....i have to disagreei find the forward mounting of a scope is much for user friendly. It puts the scope out in front allowing you a clear instant target acquisition with eye closed or open, moves it away to prevent forehead / scope contact upon fire resulting in a bandaide and some Advil lol..., it allows for easy viewing & access for internal inspection, as for low light, i have found no difference between a scout setup and a standard setup. Feild of view is normally different but then again, with both eyes open its not really an issue. Im a supporter of this setup gosh dangit! HEHEHEEEE how ever you do it, what ever you use, do it well and do it right!

Everyone said it pretty well. On my Marlin 1895G, I use a scout system with XS mounts along with a Leupold 2.5 scout scope with Leupold QR rings. For open sights I use the XS Ghost ring set-up with the small appature. It takes some time to get used to using a scout system, but I love it and wouldn't trade it. The advantage of using QR rings is you can remove the scope if you need to use your iron sights and when the scope is reinstalled it will shoot within an inch of where it was sighted in at. This is a great set up for dangerous game and I can tell ya first hand it works.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have toyed with the idea many times but have always seemed to pass it off when other experience riflemen have cautioned me against it. And their cautions were from personal experience with both military converted scout types as well as more modern set-ups.
The biggest complaint was balance and usefullness of the sights compared to regular conventional set-ups. Just not enough benefit and mostly a recognized degradation of funtion.
So I have never followed through with the concept.....YET! I still will probably end up doing it in some format or another and then join the ranks of the others that end up preferring standard set-ups.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:10 PM

Ive tried to post pics of my Frontier Scouton the TEST FORUM and not sure its right lol..i created a photobucket account and copied/pasted the image code...? if ya have time could you slide on down to the TEST forum and see if it works for you? Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

The one Scout rifle setup I really liked was the Steyr model with the Leupold IER scope. Naturally, since I liked it, it was very expensive. That's the way it works for me. I don't like things I can afford!

As for posting pictures on this web site, you have to post them usingyour own computer picture file, and the size can't exceed 100 K. And this software will only allow one picture per posting..... You browse your computer picture files, and select the one you want to upload. Then click to upload. You will get a message saying the picture was uploaded (or not, if it is too large or something.). THEN, once your pic is accepted, you have to click on "embed picture in post" before you post the whole messge with the pic in it.....

I checked out your test post. It didn't work. You cannot post pics from photobucket on this site-you have to post from your own computer picture file folders.... it woulkd look something like this after it is posted in the message form " "

Quick Reply: scout rifles..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.