Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 AR-15 question >

AR-15 question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR-15 question

Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: AR-15 question

5MOA accuracy with M193, 855, wolf 55gr, and wolf 62gr. Shoots slightly better with remington UMC. No, I have not shot quality ammo thru it and dont' plan on it. But yes, I have seen other AR's shoot all these much better. Like 2MOA.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bought a CMMG stripped lower, I installed a RRA parts kit, RRA NM 2-stage trigger. Topped it off with a Bushmaster Varminter upper and a Cabelas Tactical 6-18x40. It is a legitimate 1/2" at 100yrd rifle, I was super impressed with it. Total cost was probably around $1300.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

5MOA accuracy with M193, 855, wolf 55gr, and wolf 62gr. Shoots slightly better with remington UMC. No, I have not shot quality ammo thru it and dont' plan on it. But yes, I have seen other AR's shoot all these much better. Like 2MOA.
That is horrendous...I do understand Wolf to be of horrible accuracy, but I would expect about 2MOA from the other loads...gotta be a major malfunction somewhere.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

NEVER HAD A PROPLEM WITH WOLF IN MINE i found just about any ammo to be ok in the ars i would a lower from one company and a upper from anoher just buy a complete gun from one company . also not sure i would buy a stripped lower and USE a bunch of differnt parts from differnt companys if you buy a good gun buy good ammo your get good groups
Old 12-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Spike

I'm just looking around at these rifles, and seen a few in magazines, its basically a tinkered with version of the M-14 right? wich is pretty close to the C-7.
I wouldn't be too concerned with cleaning them, I can strip my rifle in about 50 seconds, not including taking the bolt apart wich comes apart pretty fast too. (stipping is having hand guards off and disassembled, upper and lower receivers apart, the spring and piston removed)
they really aren't that hard to clean, as I doubt you will ever clean them to the standard we have to. Some people can be dead accurate with these, and some people have a hard time, comes down to shooting style and being smooth.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are two I use for fur bearers....Bushmaster and aKel....
Old 12-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

the pistol how is it a pistol or rifle like when you buyone is it as a pistol or a longgun
ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Here are two I use for fur bearers....Bushmaster and aKel....
Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Kel isa(PLR-16)Pistol Long Range.I put a MB on it and if you dont have hearing protection on youll feel like you just blew out your ear and there bleeding...trust me....
Some of the guys at the range blew me off when I told em to cover there ears,they go its only a .223 how loud can it be....too loud I guess.I think I will take the MB off this summer,it sure helps tho....Iam good out to 150 yrds with it on bench..
Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

As has been posted before, prices are all over the map with these. I'd look for most of the decent ones to fall in the $750-$1000 range.

I've owned a Colt Gov't model for years and lately picked up a Rock River (RRA) Entry Tactical. I haven't hunted coyotes "on purpose" for quite a few years, but stumble upon them from time to time. I think the longest shot I'vemade was a hair over 300 yards, the rifle (the Colt) bone stock except for a cheap 3x scope which has since been replaced with a good mount and a Leupold3x9I was trying to figure out what to do with. I'm really impressed so far with the Rock River on the range, but haven't broken it in on a coyote yet.

Cleaning can be a challenge. Since the gas system opens directly into the bolt and upper receiver, the effect is going to be a lot messier than, say, the closed system on the M14/M1A or your daddy's Model 1100 Remington.That said, using a good solvent and with a little attention to detail, it disassembles very easily and cleans up well. Just about anyone you know who's been in the service (particularly the Army or Marine Corps) can help you field strip and clean it.

Lots of magazines available, and neither of my rifles seem to prefer one mfr over the other (none of my issued M16s or M4s did, either). Lots of different ammo out there, too. Generally, I'd say the cheaper it is, the "dirtier" it is when it comes to cleaning.

And, the rifle's modular nature leaves all the possibilities up to you. I think you'll find the stock rifles are going to work well in most coyote hunting applications, and as you save up money here or there, you can "accessorize" it to whatever extent you wish.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:01 AM

ORIGINAL: CFMedic

I'm just looking around at these rifles, and seen a few in magazines, its basically a tinkered with version of the M-14 right? wich is pretty close to the C-7.
I wouldn't be too concerned with cleaning them, I can strip my rifle in about 50 seconds, not including taking the bolt apart wich comes apart pretty fast too. (stipping is having hand guards off and disassembled, upper and lower receivers apart, the spring and piston removed)
they really aren't that hard to clean, as I doubt you will ever clean them to the standard we have to. Some people can be dead accurate with these, and some people have a hard time, comes down to shooting style and being smooth.
Believe you are thinking of the M1A:

This is the AR-15 (think this is an Airsoft version, but you get the idea):

Quick Reply: AR-15 question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.