Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New to Hunting... >

New to Hunting...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New to Hunting...

Old 12-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to Hunting...

ORIGINAL: Ideaman

I sight in rifles as a business and have to disagree with the statement that implied the Rem 700 might not be accurate. I would go with the 700, leupold mounts, and a Buckmaster 3x9x40.

Just an Idea, Walmart seems to be selling out of the 700adl model. It was replaced by 700sps. I saw several 700 ADLs on sale for $300 locally, my friends have bought them now.

I have heard the rumors about the 300 buck 700's but seem to always be a step behind on finding them..lol.

I'll vouch for the 700's as well. I sight in and break in the barrels on guns for several people myself and havent had a turd come thru yet. Most seem to love core lokts as well.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

By far the best all choice round in my opeinion is the 06 and 308. In those calibers I do recommend the Savage Model 116FSS or the Model 110GXP3 because of the accutrigger and the price.
I personaly gave up on Remington after have 2 that just refused to group very well no matter what I fed them.
Remingtons may not be everyones cup of tea but inaccuracy is not a problem I have ever encountered with one. The lst 2 I have purchased 700 BDL SS have been scary accurate
Old 12-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

I couldn't agree more about the Remingtons. For the money, I would say they are among the most accurate rifles out of the box.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rgmuckli

Hi guys any advice you could give me would be great. I am going to go hunting (Deer) for the first time next year. I need some advice on what kind of rifle to buy. I am looking at a lower cost but still a good gun. I would also needa scope, so any advice on that would be great also. The reason I am asking now is so I can get it and get use to the gun at the range before I go hunting. I have never owned a rifle only shot guns. Thanks in advance for your help.
Unless you're taking REALLY long shots - which aren't a good idea, starting out - get a Marlin 336 chambered in 30-30. It is a whitetail rifle, and here are some of its virtues:

inexpensive, plentiful on the used market
accurate
short & handy
absolutely lethal on whitetail
cheapest deer-appropriate hunting ammo around (ignoring commie 7.62.x39)
Mild recoil & muzzle blast, which enhance shooter accuracy
Excellent quality, good-looking rifle

See http://www.gunblast.com/30WCF.htm
Old 12-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i Have always recommended short action calibers to beginners (260, 7-08, 308, 358 win). my preference in rifles are rugers and weatherby vangards. for a new good quality scope for the money the 3-9x40 Bushnel Elite 3200 is hard to beat.