Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Are we overgunned?  Was Jack O'Connor right? >

Are we overgunned? Was Jack O'Connor right?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Are we overgunned? Was Jack O'Connor right?

Old 01-26-2003, 10:43 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-26-2003, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are we overgunned? Was Jack O'Connor right?

I would have to say to each their own. Where I hunt in PA the average shot is maybe 25-40 yds. If I'm in the thick brush I would have my .307, or hunting a field I would have my 30-06, 257 Robert or 6.5x55. Each of which will take whatever game I might come across cleanly. In the blowing snow the 30-30 or the 12 ga with open sights work the best. The Robert and the swede will switch role and become a ground hog or coyote gun with a change of load and zero the scope. Either way shot placement is what gets the meat in the back of the truck.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a site that might add to the controversy a bit. For practical hunting ranges, I don't really believe magnums are necessary.http://www.eabco.com/Reports/report05.htm
https://www.eabco.com/Reports/report03.html

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 01-26-2003, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

rather be over gunned than under gunned...and thats right you bring a knife to a gun fight your not going to last long...sure some guys are WAY over gunned by shooting big magnums in PA..i say PA because its mainly thick woods here and most shots are under 100yds easy..all mine are under 50 easy...sure there are a few guys hunting fields but still them are about the only guys that could possibly need a magnum to take their deer...just for the extra power and less drop..sure my 3006 blows a deer into next week when i hit them at 20yds but i rather drop them in their tracks and know there not moving than say lose it or have someone else shoot it on its death run from my double lunger with a little gun...its all on what you want though...
Old 01-26-2003, 08:16 PM

i think alot of it is just that i know at least i want and like to get a new rifle every couple of years. alot of us like having the newest and the biggest. it also doesnt help that almost every magazine you pick up these days about guns or hunting has some mention about how great these new magnums are and how much faster they are than the older calibers. personally i feel that what ever you have the most confidence in and shoot the best then use it.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

As good as the .270 is, Jack O'Conner was paid to endorse it. His wife carried something else when she went hunting with him.
When you think about it why would a .277 bullet be better than a7mm(.284) or a 6.5mm(.264).
It was just another gimmick of the year, that worked, to sell more rifles. Like what is going on now.Some of the new cartridges will prove themselves but MOST will fall by the wayside.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:16 AM
Spike

You can't disagree with bullet placement. I carry a magnum and I am "over gunned" for just about every animal that I kill. The thing in the back of my mind is that when I make that "not so great" shot the magnum will bring the animal down where a lighter caliber will let it run. Nothing worse that tracking a moose a mile back in the swamp from the boat.
Confidence with the caliber being shot is the key. If you are comfortable shooting it, why not?

Old 01-27-2003, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

It sure looks like O'Connor was working for Winchester re: the .270. What his wife carried was a 7X57mm Mauser, mostly. She killed her elephant with a .30/'06 and a 220-grain solid. I think Jack used the .375 H&H for dangerous game in Africa and Alaska.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Wow, we're all over the place on this one.

First, let me start by saying this is not and endorsement of the .270 Win. I think any standard caliber of 6.5mm - .35 would fill the bill for an all-around rig.

Also, I am not "anti-magnum," I just think too many people rely on "magnum" power to hopefully compensate for less-than-perfect shot selection.

As far as there being more cartridges and rifles to choose from today than when Jack was around, I would submit that the deer and elk haven't gotten any harder to kill during this same period of time.

As far as "taking a knife to a gunfight," I have yet to see a deer or an elk carrying a scope-sighted .300 RUM.

I, too, think that all we really need is something from the .308/.30-06/7x57 class of cartridges.

Eldeguello is right about the 7x57 being O'Connor's wife's favorite cartridge. It was no accident she carried it. Jack himself often said it was probably the best all-around cartridge when recoil was factored in. On this point, he and Col. Townsend Whelan agreed.

I also think that the newer, larger-bore rounds make a lot of sense for most of our hunting, and I think the new .338-06 or the renewed .350 Rem Mag (not really a "magnum) and .358 Win are perfect choices in the woods.

For dangerous game, .338 Win Mag on up.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 01-27-2003, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

O' Connor was no different than all these "expert" gunwriters today that fill every possible gun magazine with the virtues of the WSM series. All are whores for Winchester.

Quick Reply: Are we overgunned? Was Jack O'Connor right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.