Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help needed -- please read ... >

Help needed -- please read ...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help needed -- please read ...

Old 12-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help needed -- please read ...

I have a friend who has a 4x4 and he loves it it is a good rifle for the money. If you have that much faith in the guy get him the gun.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wait till they get married,then,as a wedding gift,get him exactly what he wants.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:31 AM

For a lower end price range it is hard to beat a Savage. Also a gun to consider is the New CVA Optima Elite. I have both the Muzzleloader and a .308 for it. You can get a rifled barrel and stock get up for about $300. I really like mine. Both shoot good.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: driftrider

Then, if he puts a ring on her finger, you could give it to him at that time. That would be my opinion.
Where I live, a shotgun is a more appropriate wedding gift.

I would wait and give it as a wedding gift, rifle season will be winding down after Christmas anyway.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:22 PM
c j
Typical Buck

I say go ahead and give it for Christmas. The wedding may not be until after the next deer season. If you give it at Christmas, maybe make it in a cartridge that also works nice for varmints/predators like 25-06, 243, 6mm, etc.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:38 PM

I appreciate all the input, but I don't want to give something conditionally, and I don't give things and take them back... with that said, he does not have much of a family for support or guidance. He is 21 years old, and is a good kid, just not loaded with bucks, and as I said before he has used one of mine but he hates to borrow.... I can understand that as I am the same way. I was doing this for him. If he gets the gun and they break up a month later, then thats just the way it is, I won't hold any hard feelings because I know the gun would still mean the world to him.... and that thats not he reason he is dating my step daughter now..... When he gets it, he will probably start crying .... he is just that kind hearted... and he loves her to no end.....

With all that said, I can get the new ATR 100 stainless / syn. .270 for 320.00. There are not really and 4x4's available around here right now.... but I can give the gun to him at Christmas, and that will give him about 8 months to save up and buy a scope and rings, and a long time to shoot it and get used to the gun and get comfortable with it... and I am sure he will shoot the dickens out of that gun... It might not be a super expensive gun like a Browning White gold medallion or be a fancy looking gun like a Eclipse or a Remington Ti, but I am sure it will mean just as much. But I just don't have a bunch of money to put into it right now, and as I said ... they aren't married YET, but a 350.00 gun is not a bad Christmas presant.... I just am not sure about the Mossberg quality... I guess we'll see, and I can come back and give you guys a quality and shootability report....

Thanks again....

MichaelT.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

will you adopt me or if they don't get married may I date her?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I've seen the Mossberg's are pretty inexpensive but they seemto be well made. I've been impressed with the quality of mine. Though mine is an older model that is at least 25 years old. Like you said even it is not a top of the line manufacturer he will love it because it was a gift.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.
Thanks again....

MichaelT.
Eh... go on Gunbroker.com and find a nice Marlin 336, put a 4x scope on it, and send him happily into the deer woods.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

I'd give him the gun he's been borrowing and buy a new one for myself, but it would cost me more than $320. I really think anything you gave him would be a great gift, and the fact that you'd extend this type of "fatherliness" to him would be unforgettable. I've never heard anything bad about Mossbergs, buthaven't heard that much about them at all. If this $320 gun performed as well as the littany of$500-$900 guns that are up and down this forum, I'd think you'd know. With that in mind, this sounds like a good gun, maybe not a great one, but probably not a bad one either. If your comfortable spending that on him and are bent on a new gun, go ahead, he'll definitely love it just based on the thought of it alone. If you could handlebuying him a used one, there are lots of options in that price range.

Quick Reply: Help needed -- please read ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.