Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 buying a old shotgun >

buying a old shotgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

buying a old shotgun

Old 12-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default buying a old shotgun

ok wold you buy a say 1965 shotgun for rabbit squrril hunting and birf hunting and maybe some rifled slugs for deer
Old 12-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: buying a old shotgun

1965 is not that old as far as shotguns go. I would not shoot steel shot through it.
It is the older ones that have demascus steel that you have to worry about.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:03 AM

Depends on the gun. If it was a 870 wingmaster for a decent price I would consider it. Possibly even an 1100 by remington.

For an everything gun you are pretty limited on your options unless you want to spend a lot of money.

Sorry, you said rifled slugs, you could do that with a regular barrel so you wouldn't have to buy another one. You would be stuck with fixed choke though, verses a newer gun that would have screw in chokes. The choke you would use with slugs would not be the choke you would want for birds or turkey.

Paul
Old 12-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

hey pal thanks alot man every post i make you do everything you can to help mebe it the 50 mssber the savage or what ammo to use we need more hunters like you out there
Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the price is right, why not. If our forefathers where able to take game with muzzleloading shotguns and rifles, why the heck cant we take game with something from the 1960's? I get more enjoyment out of the old guns most of the time than I do with the new ones. Just something about using a time proven gun.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

i am sure it is a ok gun and would work but i do not wont something i can not buy a rifled barrel for or will cost me a arm and leg to have fixed
also i think are four fathers wouldhave used the bext equipment they could just because you can kill deer with a smoothbore does not mean you must
ORIGINAL: TUK101

If the price is right, why not. If our forefathers where able to take game with muzzleloading shotguns and rifles, why the heck cant we take game with something from the 1960's? I get more enjoyment out of the old guns most of the time than I do with the new ones. Just something about using a time proven gun.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 AM

I don't think you could even get a rifled barrel for that gun. And if you did find one it would probably be used and cost more than you paid for the gun.

I could be wrong though, it's been known to happen.

If you are even remotely considering getting a rifled barrel stick with the 500 or 870 if you are on a budget. Nothing wrong with used though if you can get a good deal. The problem is in most cases for not much more you could get a new one if you shopped around.

Paul
Old 12-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have found that out i paid 200 for my frist 500 which was camo he wonted 300 for it and i thought i got a good deal i did but for alittle more i could have got a new one
Old 12-02-2007, 08:44 AM

if your not going to be taking shots past 50-60 yards on deer, you dont need a rifled barrle, but you want one just like i wanted one, but if your are on a really tight budget like me i got a H&R tracker 2 slug gun and you can maybe 60 bucks for another barrle for other stuff the only thing i am not sure of is if they have them with changeable chokes, because they are single shots, now i know not very many people like singles, i do, you only need one shot, that makes me know that when i aim that gun at that deer i no its dead, this way i dont relay on 2-3 more shots in the mag. like with a pump or autoloadergo to hr1871.com and look around.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:44 AM

why 65 go back to 37 like my 410 a winchester mod 37 410, even better and more time proven.

Quick Reply: buying a old shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.