Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

RUM on standard long action?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RUM on standard long action?

Are the new Ultra mags on a standard long action or are they on a longer action? I'm planning my next rifle build...
Old 11-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: RUM on standard long action?

It's the same length on Remingtons,Winchesters and Sakos but the feed rails/magazine willmost likely be modified or replaced. Buy an existing gun chambered in that or any other RUM and then you can rebarrel it if needed to what you want.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

It's the same length on Remingtons,Winchesters and Sakos but the feed rails/magazine willmost likely be modified or replaced. Buy an existing gun chambered in that or any other RUM and then you can rebarrel it if needed to what you want.
Same with the Savage long action. My Savage will fit loaded 7mm STW cartridges through the port, but the magazine itself is about 1/4" too short. The cartridges will fit in the mag well, but it'd need to be converted to a fixed magazine to make it work.

Mike

Old 11-30-2007, 05:48 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

cma,
rem. builds 2 lengths of 700 actions, and 3 possibly 4 bolt face diameters.
I have 700 BDL's in the following 6.5 gibbs (was a 270 win), 7mm rm, 7mm STW, 7mm AM( was a 300 RUM) have measured them several times, they are all the same length.
what ya wantin to build jeep?
RR
I'm thinking maybe a 7mm STW or 7mm RUM if I can't get my 7mm RM to shoot as good as I want. I think the Ruger mag box is shorter then the 700's so I'm have a little trouble seating the Bergers out enough and still be able to use it as a repeater. We'll see, I'm still waiting for my .243 AI to get finished and that will keep me busy for a while.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd like to do the 7mm AM like yours, but I think it will be too much work reloading for it.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Owning both the 7mmstw and 7mmRUM,my own choice would be the 7mmstw.There is very little difference performance wise between the two,and all that is required with a 7mmremmag is a rechamber or rebarrel.The RUM often requires feed rail mods with a non RUM action.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I leaning towards the STW, I think I would have more room in the mag to mess with OAL and still have a repeater. But, I'm not getting too serious about it right now, hopefully the first of the year I'll be starting up my business so I won't have any money for a while.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think I would have more room in the mag to mess with OAL and still have a repeater.
The overall length of both cases is the same,so that isn't a factor.

Quick Reply: RUM on standard long action?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.