Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Different Ammo shoots alot differently? >

Different Ammo shoots alot differently?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Different Ammo shoots alot differently?

Old 11-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Spike

Default Different Ammo shoots alot differently?

Today I was out siting my scope in for my mossberg 835 . I have a fully rifled barrel on it. I started shooting Brennekes to sight my scope in since they are cheap slugs. Once I got it sighted in I shot some leftover remington sluggers. I had bought a case of Remingtons new copper sabot slugs. I decided just to shoot one of these since they were so expensive. I figured I would use these for the coming deer season. I shot one and completley missed the target ( I was shooting a trash barrel with a target on it at 75 yards. ) So i figured I f'd something up so i reloaded one shot again and completley missed the target. At this point I stopped figured I maybe had wrong ammo. It was ammo for a fully rifled 12 gauge barrel which is what I have. Why would this shoot so completley different?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Different Ammo shoots alot differently?

Different grain weight bullets will shoot differently, different brands of the same grain weight willshoot differently, all of which goes double with shotguns. Change the bullet construction entirely from foster slugs to sabots and you change severalvariables all at once- there's no way they could shoot to the same spot.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:40 AM

I use Brennekes to get close like you do but if i isght in 2in low and 2in to the left im dead on with the Federal Barnes Expander slugs i shoot to hunt with. Ive tested this multipul times over the last 2 years and its always there. I still always shoot the slugs im hunting with just to be sure but it saves alot of money in my pocket doin it this way since i cant just got shoot 6 or 7 rounds to sight in.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, that's the way it is...My 541-T likes CCI Hollow Points, my 552 likes
CCI Green Tag, My .243 likes 100gr CoreLokts, 100gr Federal Premium Partitions
and 100gr Winchester PowerPoints, My Browning B-80 likes Winchester Supreme 00 Buck with the Improved Cylinder choke and Remington #5 Nitros and a Hastings .665 turkey choke, my Mark II prefers CCI Hollow Points, my Glock 23 prefers Winchester Silver Tips 165 Hollow Points, my Remington 1100 deer gun likes Remington Sluggers and Winchester #1 buckshot....

A man has to know what his guns prefer...
Old 11-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gixxer6bb

Today I was out siting my scope in for my mossberg 835 . I have a fully rifled barrel on it. I started shooting Brennekes to sight my scope in since they are cheap slugs. Once I got it sighted in I shot some leftover remington sluggers. I had bought a case of Remingtons new copper sabot slugs. I decided just to shoot one of these since they were so expensive. I figured I would use these for the coming deer season. I shot one and completley missed the target ( I was shooting a trash barrel with a target on it at 75 yards. ) So i figured I f'd something up so i reloaded one shot again and completley missed the target. At this point I stopped figured I maybe had wrong ammo. It was ammo for a fully rifled 12 gauge barrel which is what I have. Why would this shoot so completley different?
The problem could come from your having leaded up the bore shooting those cheapie lead slugs before you tried the good ones. But in all probability, it happened because the gun shoots the sabot bullets entirely differently than it does those lead slugs. If you intend to use those expensive sabot rounds for hunting, get a big target, set it up at 25 yards, and zero with those slugs. Then move out to 50, shoot to see where it hits, make corrections if necessary, then move to 75. You should not have to fire more than six or eight shots total to do this. But you MUST USE the load you are going to hunt with. There's no cheap way out of this problem.

Brennekes are real killers. If your gun shoots them well, use them for hunting. I would not use the Remington "sluggers", as they are pretty crappy loads.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:42 AM

Shotguns are very picky on what ammo they like or shoot well. I have had many cases where trying different ammo where the impact points were several inches away from the last ammo. When I test ammo I give no concern to where the bullets impact in regards to point of aim. I only worry about how they group. When I find one I like I reset my zero for that ammo.

And like said above you compounded things by shooting rifled slugs through your gun first. Usually they foul the barrel after 5 shots or so. Before you do any testing with any other ammo, especially high dollar sabots you need to clean that barrel VERY well. Get some good solvent and plan on spending some time scrubbing. I actually chuck my cleaning rod up in a cordless drill when I do it. Just be careful when doing it and don't do it longer than you need to.

Paul
Old 11-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

As already mentioned, rifled barreledslug guns can be extremely pickyas towhich slugs they like.You have to sight your gun in with the slugs you are going to use when hunting, no matter how much they cost. Your example is a perfect reason why you have to do this. I shot 3 inch groups with myrifled barrel 11-87 12 ga.at 100 yards with both Winchester Partition Gold and Hornady SST slugs. They grouped about 15 inches apart on the target though. ThePartition Gold's were low and to the right, the SST's high and to the left.I had similar results with my fathers rifled barrel 11-87 20 ga.There was about a foot difference between Remington Core Lokt Ultras and Lightfield slugs. [/align]
Old 11-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

its always best to sight in with what you will use in the field, then practice shooting (for your form, control, and flinch reduction) with cheap ammo if you want. Like others said, keep the barrel clean after using the cheap stuff, and don't expect it to be accurate with it either. The important thing is to be accurate with what you'll use while hunting.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Spike

I guess I used the wrong ammo. I went to local gun shop. He said since i have a fully rifled barrel I need to shoot sabot slugs. I used the brennekkes and sluggers he said which wont damage my barrel but arent meant for it. I need to shoot sabot slugs.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

I get the gixxer6 reference by the way. My dog's name is Gixxer. Not many people get it. Sorry to get off topic.

Quick Reply: Different Ammo shoots alot differently?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.