Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I am about to blow up my 30 - 06 >

I am about to blow up my 30 - 06

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I am about to blow up my 30 - 06

Old 11-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I am about to blow up my 30 - 06

I own a 10+ year old savage 110E, when I sited it in before the season began I was right on the bull at 100 yrds. I have not used it much during. took it to the range today, could not hit chit. if it is not the scope mount or the scope, should I take it to a gunsmith and it the chamber and bore checked?

I don't have a the stuff or the time to do it myself.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I am about to blow up my 30 - 06

Shoot it at 25 yards to get on paper if its way off at 100.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:29 PM

Sounds like you might have a issue with the scope or the mounts or with the stock - if it is wood.

Warpage is a likely cause.

Where do you store this gun and how do you transport it to the range?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

love to do that, just go 2 rounds left, and don't have time right now to reload any. and not paying the prices for factory loads, ($19/ per box of chitty wolf gold and $22 for win sp's) I only have 6 days of center left anyway, my ML is good to go, a month early too, thank god.

I missed 3 deer last year with the same rifle diffrent scope set up. that is what makes me think it something else.

if you run though what I need to look for I check it tomarrow and see if I can find.

must the time if is stored in my bed room with ac running year round, even with snow on the ground. and a basic bull dog carring case.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will take it sight unseen for the action alone if you'll care to donate it or sell for very low cost. check yer bedding and double check your scope,rings.mounts.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Ruger MKII 270 ready to go w/a Simmons Whitetail Expedition Scope 1MOA all day long. I would allow you some trade in value for your rifle and scope if interested? e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 11-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does it have iron sights installed?
If so, strip the glass and bases and rings, then pop the action out and reinstall with care to get your action screws tight in the proper procedure for your rifle/action. Usually tighten the front action screw until fingertip tight (using two fingers and a thumb with a screwdriver)y, then the rear also finger tip tight, then back to the front with a screw driver equipped with a torque wrench if you are so inclined. Remington calls for as light as 15 lbs of torque on action screws and some rifles that are pillar bedded (yours?) can have as much as 65 lbs of torque applied. The key is for it to be even or to match what the manufacturer thinks. Regardless of all the advice, your gun will tell you what it likes. Then shoot a couple 5 shot groups with irons only (make sure the irons are tight). Don't worry about where it’s hitting, only hold for groups...you can adjust the irons if you want but you first want to make sure the rifle can shoot.
Then reinstall you bases, rings and scope carefully and correctly. Make sure everything is tight.
Now try again with the optics. If it's still all over the placethen you probably have a bedding issue. Good luck. I will be doing this myself with an older 110 in 30/06 soon. It has the integral bases as part of the action so that is one thing I don't have to worry about. However, I DO NOT have the dual pillar bedding (something I intend to correct myself down the line).
Old 11-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is the whole story of how I got the gun. I went to a gun shop that was closing it doors. I was looking for a .243. found a .243 and saw the 30 - 06 setting next to it. it was $100 less then the .243. It was used when I bought it. I ended up taking about 10 years off from hunting (jobs, college, and got married).

I am going to take a look at the bedding, I found the ring screws where loose, I am going to pick up some lock tight and fix that, they maybe stripped. thinking about replacing the base and ring too. good thing I got 2 other guns to fall back on.

I took a real close at the bedding and where the barrel meets the stock. there is a space about mm one side and the other is almost touching. took it out of the stock, I see rubbing in three places. the bedding at a crease up the middle of the stock, took a lightly damb paper towl and cleaned the bedding a little.

hope this helps a little more.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have thought about one more thing, the ammo. it was a box I got last year (I know age don't matter) and only fired 3 rounds last year. I got it from walmart for like $14 (they still have it for that). could/should I try a differnt brand or type or grain?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

I found the ring screws where loose

Problem fixed

Quick Reply: I am about to blow up my 30 - 06

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.