Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 798 Mauser action? >

Remington 798 Mauser action?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 798 Mauser action?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington 798 Mauser action?

Scanning over Remington's website this gun jumped out at me.

Can anyone tell me about it?

How does it compare to the 700 action?

Does it come with a lawyer trigger or something comparable to the X-mark pro trigger?

Any input on this gun?
Thx
Old 12-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Remington 798 Mauser action?

The action on the Model 798 Remington is a 98 Mauser action. As compared to the Model 700 action, they are completely opposite. A lot of companies have imported the Mauser action over the years. Recently, Remington started offering the Mauser action in the Model 798. Briley Mauser currently has several dealers in the US. Interarms use to sale the Mauser action built rifles. The Mauser action is a great action and has been arround for many years. I am not sure this was a good idea for Remington to pick this line of rifles to introduce on the market. Many other companies have sold mausers and not been that successful in the long term. Not that there is anything wrong with the Mauser action. Actually, the 98 Mauser action has been one of the favorite's among custom gun builders. You can google the 98 Mauser action and get all the information you could possibly need. The Model 798 is a fine looking rifle and if you compare it to Briley Mauser rifles you will see there is no comparison on looks or price. The Briley's are a lot fancier and the cost is somewhat astronomical in comparison. Its all in your choice. I am sure that the Model 798's performance is flawless. The comparison to Briley Mauser's though is comparing apples to oranges. The Briley Mauser is a custom verse's a production rifle. I am not sure I have been any help in the matter of the Model 798.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:00 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

I just wish they were selling it chambered for the RUM's.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't seen one but if it it is truely a Mauser 98 action then it will be strong and trustworthy.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just took a peek at the 798 by looking at the Remington site and then I read a review from Rifle Shooter magazine ...
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/rem798_091406/
and I really liked the information I read. Smart looking rifle with a nice laminated stock, hinged Mauser floorplate. The only thing I'd rather have seen on it was a 3 position Winchester style safety. Just a personal preference. It appears to be a pretty good deal compared to what it costs to have a 98 action prettied up that way you'd want it for hunting.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scanning over Remington's website this gun jumped out at me.

Can anyone tell me about it?

It's a Mark X action the same gun without that horrible laminate stock was imported by Charles Daly, remington just added 100 dollars to the retail price. If you can find a Charles daly mauser and they are to be found it's the same deal. I did a side by side comparison witha CZ 550 and the CZ beats it , better fit and finish and appears to be better machined.

It is a very reliable action for extreme conditions. The Trigger is not in the class of any Remington trigger, it is not bad but not a Remington trigger. They keep showing a stainless steel version but I haven't seen one yet for sale. If I bought one the first thing I would ditch would be the stock or have it contoured by a stockmaker .

Old 12-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Midway is selling barreled actions too.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a Mark X action the same gun without that horrible laminate stock was imported by Charles Daly, remington just added 100 dollars to the retail price.
Bingo! I always describe them as a Charles Daly rifle with a Remington price tag.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is made in Serbia by Zastava,the people that make the Yugo.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:45 PM

They were decent rifle when CD was importing them, at CD prices. Remigton changed the stock and jacked up the price. Now I wouldn't even consider one. If I wanted a Mauser action, I would go with the CZ. Much better value for the dollar. Fit, finish, and trigger are leaps and bounds ahead of the Zastava,

Quick Reply: Remington 798 Mauser action?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.