Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 restoring gun stock cost???? >

restoring gun stock cost????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

restoring gun stock cost????

Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 AM

Default restoring gun stock cost????

I have a Remington Model 788 .308 ad the stock is a little banged up. On average how much would it cost to have the stock refinished??? I got the gun used a few years ago for around $250 and it is a beautiful shooting gun.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: restoring gun stock cost????

First,be advised that unless it's one of the earilest models,the stock is likely birch or other hardwood. Refinishing a stock is mostly elbow grease,you can easily do it for less than 30-40 dollars including stripper,stain,filler,sandpaper/0000 steel wool,and finish.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

get yourself some finish stripper, sand paper, and truoil or stain or whatever youd like to finish it and goto town.

take the stock off, strip the old finish, sand it, and finish it...dont cost much at all...and really isnt all too hard...if it has checkering, you can either buy a tool to touch it up, or dont sand over the checkering...
Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 PM

I have seen 1 or 2 gun kits in midway and brownells, do it yourself and learn. I doubt you could get it for less than $75, I wouldn't. Keep in mind that would just be strip, sand, spray finish. Can be very time consuming, gunsmiths get paid by production.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You've already been given lots of good advice, so I won't dwell on but one point.....If you do decide to do it yourself, and I do recommend it, be VERY careful about sanding too much in areas where metal meets wood Use the stripper, and only do minimum sanding and hence wood removal in these areas, or you can end up with metal sticking above the wood it's supposed to be just flush with..........
Old 11-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

First,be advised that unless it's one of the earilest models,the stock is likely birch or other hardwood. Refinishing a stock is mostly elbow grease,you can easily do it for less than 30-40 dollars including stripper,stain,filler,sandpaper/0000 steel wool,and finish.
Yes, they are relatively uncomplicated stocks. You can do it yourself pretty easily.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

a beginner or someone who doesnt have patience can make many mistakes. i hate working with wood andmade several mistakes. just be careful not to sand off too much material and no matter how careful you are you can round off flat spots and angles if you dont know what your doing, JUST BE CAREFUL NOT TO REMOVE too much wood.if you have the eye the wood should fit the metal.