Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Kid friendly caliber >

Kid friendly caliber

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Kid friendly caliber

Old 11-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kid friendly caliber

If you ever read a magazine that reviews a product and says it is a piece of crap, subscribe to the magazine!
Ain't that the truth![:@] Pay a gun "expert" enough and he'll write an article that'll make the Remington 710 appear to be the finest rifle ever built. There are a lot of products in the hunting/shooting sports industries that owe their very existance to highly paid (bribed?) gun writers.

But I digress...!

Mike

Old 11-18-2007, 01:50 AM

When my son is ready I had been thinking about the 243 win. Remington's managed recoil ammo didn't really come to my mind but that's a good idea. My only concern is that different rifles prefer different ammo and one rifle might shoot a load extremely well and another shoot sub par groups. If the remington managed recoil was the only ammo that my son could handle out of a 308 I would be concerned that his gun might not shoot it accurately. That's why most people reccomend shooting several loads out of a gun to find out what it shoots best
Old 11-18-2007, 06:15 AM
Banned

I'd be suprised if you didnt get decent groups out of that ammo. However, it could be an issue. 243 has taken a lot of deer. If he's shooting tight groups, that confidence will carry over to his hunting.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 7mm08 is a lot more versaitle than the .243. I started my babygirl out with a 7mm08 at age of 12 and every deer she's shot at went down with 1 shot-it didn't pass go-it didn't collect 200 dollars-they went straight down.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bud...Guess I'm still a kid, at 52 and 6ft 5 inches and 255 pounds...I'm still shooting a .243, its all you need for deer...I have killed over 150 with this gun, 6 black bears and tons of groundhogs, coyotes, crows and various other varmints that didn't have any business on our farms...

The sweet thing about this gun, I can buy a case of 100gr CoreLokts @ $13.88 a box from WalMart and shoot all year long...Its recoil is light enough that I never loose sight of the deer and accurate enough that you can drop a deer in its tracks with a bullet through the shoulder blade...
Old 11-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: driftrider

ORIGINAL: Ideaman

All of the above Ideas and calibers are great suggestions. I like theNEF single shot in 45-70. As a newer shooter make sure your son wears hearing protection, almost all of the bad shooting habits I see come from noise, not recoil. Kids are tough.
Amen to that!

Not to mention that it's vitally important to protect his hearing. All CF firearms are loud enough to cause some amount of PERMANENT hearing damage, even with one shot. If your ears ring after the shot, you've lost some of your hearing FOREVER. You might not be able to perceive the loss, but the damage is cumulative and will get a little worse every time it happens (trust me on this, I speak from experience). The good habits he learns now about wearing good hearing protection will save his hearing years from now.

Mike
Harumph!These fellas are right on!

Coincident with choosing a cartridge, I'd have him choose the gun which fits him best.He mayfeel less recoil, evenwith a beefier cartridge, if the gun fits him well.

My marksmanship was never anything to brag about, so that's probably why I recommend people start above the .243 for a deer cartridge. The real shooters out there know that the .243 is more than adequate for deer. Personally, though, I suggest people start with the .257 Roberts or .25-06. These cartridgeshave scarcely more recoil than the .243, but they do offer some range/energy increases.

AND THANK YOU FOR INTRODUCING A YOUTH TO HUNTING!!!!

FC
Old 11-18-2007, 11:01 PM

7mm-08.
My son just turned 11 and weighs 63 lbs and can shoot 140 corelocks all day without being bothered by the recoil. It's a youth sps and came with a limbsaver pad. Like stated above, fit is the important part. Once you decide on a caliber, go let him hold each brand of gun to see what feels right to him.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: LOUISIANA WHITETAILS

.243 WIN
Ditto... I got my son a Model 7 Youth .243 for his 12th birthday a couple years ago. He has now taken 4 deer with it, and scored on his first buck yesterday afternoon.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

quote]ORIGINAL: jeepkid

.243 Win, or 6mm Rem.
[/quote]

I agree with this recommendation. In addition, I recommend that in addition to the hunter safety course, that you provide him with some marksmanship training with whatever rifle you choose, and let him demonstrate his proficiency with the rifle BEFORE he shoots at a live target (if you haven't already done this.) For this purpose, I see nothing wrong with a good, accurate single-shot rifle. (I personally have no use for any of the fast-shooting guns such as a semi-auto, lever action, or pump for hunting. Generally, when you miss with the first shot, you don't get a second one! He might like a NEF single-shot.) The comment about the LOUD NOISE made by a hP rifle often being more significant than the actual recoil is a valid one! I was afraid to try a .30/'06 when I was a kid, because I just KNEW anything that made that much noise was going to hurt like hell! Same for a 2" .357 Magnum!!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:05 AM
FA
Fork Horn

All the above are great choises, but no one metioned a 30-30. Usually the rifles are lite and easy to handle for a 12 year old with very little recoil or noise.

Quick Reply: Kid friendly caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.