Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Range Report >

Range Report

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Range Report

Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Range Report

Hey guys,

Headed out to the range yesterday. I haven't been since last year. I've been remodeling. Cut me some slack.

With that out of the way.

The Win 70 in .308, called Mother, shot the doors off the place with under 1/2" groups. To be expected since she is the best thing that ever happened to me. I didn't even need to fondle her scope knobs. Funny thing is I just had some trigger work done on her earlier this year and still the scope didn't need any tweaking.

The Ruger 300 WM, floated with a timney. Still name-less. Didn't even have it bore sighted. Got it on paper in one shot at 25 yards. Second test shot resulted in two touching. Immediately went out to 100 yards where I placed two shots within 1/2" of each other. Moved the scope a bit and set her 1" high at 100. I shot two more groups. One at 3/4" and another at just over 1.25". I'll call that 1" at 100 for now. I'm shooting my own home brew. She'll be the first one out this year. She needs a name.

TC Omega .50 Cal Muzzleloader. I shot her at 25 yards and she was dead on from where I set her last year. I just got this one last year. I realized my scope mount was loose after a second shot at 100 yards. I tightened up the scope mount but I was shooting a very large pattern the rest of the day. I gave up and left the range.

Is it possible that I damaged the scope by shooting it twice with loose scope mounts?

The scope is a simmons Aetec. I have another scope to try but I don't have the time to go out and shoot it.

Tom

Old 11-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range Report

Guys,

Do you think my scope could be come damaged?

Tom
Old 11-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Guys,

Do you think my scope could be come damaged?

Tom

Hmmm. Simmons........it can become damaged by merely LOOKING THRU it...........
Old 11-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 11-09-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok Comedians! LOL.

Will a scope typically become damaged from being fired in a loose scope mount?

Tom
Old 11-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just don't know if it would seriously deamage it, but I'm sure it wouldn't do it any good. I do feel that the only way you're gonna know for sure is to mount the other scope securely and actually check it out.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I figured as much buttime is a major issue right now. I'll have to make the time.

Shooting the smoke pole isn't cheap either.

Tom
Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you clean the gun between shots? It could simply be that your barrel was fouling and your shots where opening up. I know that mine does that after a couple of shots. It has only taken me about 200 rounds to figure that out, but I have finally learned lol.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would hope that it wouldn't foul up badly enough between 4-5 shots to be effected. I usally clean every five. Was yours moving a lot and were you shooting much more than 5 shots?

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

my brother cleans after every shot. he says he notices accuracy problems after 2 shots if he doesnt clean.

Quick Reply: Range Report

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.