Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Caliber Of The Week. >

Caliber Of The Week.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caliber Of The Week.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Caliber Of The Week.

Howaboutthe.338-378for this weekscaliber? Pretty dang stronground. Beenthinkingabout abig bad round to build around this might be the one.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Caliber Of The Week.

ORIGINAL: Swampdog

Howaboutthe.338-378for this weekscaliber? Pretty dang stronground. Beenthinkingabout abig bad round to build around this might be the one.
That is an excellent choice! An elk slayer PLUS!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Probably one of the hardest kicking and loudest rifles ever made too.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 PM
DM

Which caliber are you refering too? .338 or .375???

Do any of your guys asking all of these "caliber" questions, even know the difference between a "cartridge" and a "caliber"???

DM
Old 11-02-2007, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started this thread for fun. Also so that some of us really dumb-ass people might could learn a little about different rounds, bullets,calibers,cartridges,or whatever you want to call them.I was not going for the politically correct approach.Some of the ones who visit this site may not have ever heard of the .17 Remington or of the Zipper or the list can go on for ever.Maybe they will find out about something new to them and keep an older "round" alive. Who knows "I" might even find out what a Wasp ,Bee,Hornet,Stinger,Jaybird,Catbird ,or a T-Rex is.............
Old 11-02-2007, 06:41 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 AM
DM

That's great that you come here to learn, so do i... Why not start outby learningthe most elementary terms when it comes to firearms and cartridges.

In "simple" terms, "caliber" refers to the diameter of the bore/bullet, and the "cartridge" is the brass case thatdrives that bullet down the bbl...

For instance, the .338 by 378 refers to the "cartridge"but the caliber is .338. That also happens to be the diameter of the bullet... (.338")

If you come here to learn, i hope you won't be offended when someone tries to point out the difference to you and maybe teach you something along the way...

There's nothing wrong with not knowing something, but there is with not wanting to learn the correct info about it.

BTW, the 338 by 378 has so much recoil and muzzle blast thati'll pass on owning one! I guess i'm a wimp when it comes to that!

DM
Old 11-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

DM ,Maybe I just took you wrong.I'll just go with Round of the week.I know the difference between caliber and cartridge.I might even know a little bit more than I let on.But that is besides the point.This is just for everybody to have something to talk about.Likes, dislikes,etc. As everyone knows firearms generally are not about what you need but what you want or like.I like them all and want all of them.Some of my friends and I had a game going on one time where we were trying to see who could do the most damage and explosion on frozen gallon milk jugs.You would not believe some of the stuff that showed up.When it was all over with a 45-70 with really heavy bullets and black powder did the best job over big magnums and everything else.Who da thunk it.Now we are playing .22 rimfire games.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: DM

Which caliber are you refering too? .338 or .375???

Do any of your guys asking all of these "caliber" questions, even know the difference between a "cartridge" and a "caliber"???

DM
UMMM, I think everyone but you understood that he was referring to the 338-378 Weatherby magnum. Everybody but you!

That's great that you come here to learn, so do i... Why not start outby learningthe most elementary terms when it comes to firearms and cartridges.
Stop being a jackass!

So back to the topic: I think for personal reasons I would prefer the 30-378 weatherby.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Swampdog,
I haven't ever heard of the .338-.378 Weatherby until you brought it up. So I looked in my Cartridges of the World (Everyone needs this). If I remember from reading last night it is quite the cartridge. It started as a wildcat from the .338 (I think...could be wrong here). Suitable for any North American game. Actually too much for many situations. But still it seemed impressive. Ahhh Yea here it is....
The .338-378 Weatherby Magnum started out as the wildcat cartridge, .338-378 Keith-Thompson Magnum during the early 1960s. Keith and Thompson are Elmer Keith and Bob Thompson. The 338-378 Keith-Thompson Magnum is slightly shorter than the .338-378 Weatherby Magnum. However this is only a neck length issue of about eighty-thousandths of an inch. The .338-378 Weatherby Magnum was added to the Weatherby product line in 1998.
The .338-378 Weatherby Magnum’s parent case is the .378 Weatherby Magnum. The .338-378 Weatherby Magnum is created by necking down the .378 Weatherby Magnum to 8.59 mm (.338 in) then fire forming it in the rifle chamber. The .338-378 Weatherby Magnum has a case capacity of about 8.1 g (125 gr). Bullets commercially available for the .338-378 Weatherby Magnum range from: 11.7 g (180 gr) to 19.4 g (300 gr) in the construction of; boat-tail hollow-point; boat-tail pointed soft; pointed soft point; heavy jacketed pointed soft point; partition; multi-core; truncated solid and monolithic solid.
The .338-378 Weatherby Magnum’s main appeal is long-range shooting. A Weatherby factory cartridge loaded with a 16.2 g (250 gr) hunting bullet, in a rifle with a 71 cm (28 in) barrel will yield a muzzle velocity of 933 m/s (3060 ft/s) and muzzle energy of 7046 J (5197 ft·lbf). This same bullet will carry a down range velocity to 457 m (500 yd) of 648 m/s (2125 ft/s) and energy of 3391 J (2501 ft · lbf).
A hand loaded .338-378 Weatherby Magnum used for 1000 yd target shooting loaded with a 19.4 g (300 gr) boat-tail hollow point from a rifle with a 71 cm (28 in) target barrel will yield a muzzle velocity of 917 m/s (3010 ft/s), at 914 m (1000 yd) will carry a down range velocity of 590 m/s (1936 ft/s) and at 1372 m (1500 yd) will still be carrying a supersonic down range velocity of 462 m/s (1517 ft/s).
The .338-378 Weatherby Magnum is appropriate for taking American Elk (cervas canadensis) size game, Brown Bears and Polar Bears on the North American, European and Asian continents. In Africa the 338-378 Weatherby Magnum is appropriate for taking medium, antelope size game to the big five game. However some African countries ban sub 10.16 mm (.40 in) cartridges for hunting some big five game.
The free recoil of the 338-378 Weatherby Magnum from a (11 lb) rifle (including magazine rounds, scope, base and rings) is 73 J (54 ft · lbf) as compared to an average 27 J (20 ft · lbf) from a rifle chambered for .30-06 Springfield.
Nope I was wrong the parent case wasn't the .338 it was the .378 Weatherby. I'd love to shoot one....Looks like it would have some nasty recoil though.

I love learning new stuff. Dude good post. Can't wait till you do another one next week.

Quick Reply: Caliber Of The Week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.