Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage package rifle scopes? >

Savage package rifle scopes?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage package rifle scopes?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Savage package rifle scopes?

A friend of mine is looking for his first deer rifle- I'm taking him deer hunting this fall.

He saw an ad for a remington 770 (Remington 710 with a new name as far as I can tell) and was impressed with the price, but I steered him towards a Savage. He owns nothing but Brownings, but he doesn't want to pay $1000+ for a left handed model. He's currently interrested in either a Savage 110 or Savage 116 in 30-06. He wanted me to try to find out what kind of scopes came with the Savage 'package guns' and whether or not the scopes were decent or if he should jsut buy the rifle and spend a few hundred on a Leupold or Burris scope instead.

Anyone buy a Savage rifle package? Can you comment on the scopes that come with them?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Savage package rifle scopes?

Briman,
I bought a savage package in 243, accutriger, model 10 last year. It came with a Simmons scope. The scope right out of the box would not focus properly. I sent it to Savage and they actually replaced it with a Pro Hunter. So the original scope was terrible but the customer service was great.The Pro Hunter now sits nicely on top of a 22lr and I bought a Nikon Prostaff for the 243. The gun is great
Old 10-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ain't got a lot of respect for package scopes as they are always cheaper scopes that I've had problems with.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Savage model 16 in .270 wsm 2 years ago and it had a Simmons 8 Point scope, aluminumbases and rings. I found the scope at Midway for $19.99 if that tells you anything. I would not waste my time with the scope, rings orbases on the Savage package guns.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks,
I didn't think that they'd have top of the line scopes on them, but I didn't suspect that they'd have something as poor as a Simmons. I'll pass that info along to my friend.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:11 PM

As others have said, the Simmons on the Savage package was so bad we would decline to sight in those guns at our shop. The Savage is probably one of the best values in a gun. Steer away from the 710 and such, go with the inexpensive 700 model if you like Remington.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

It just makes sense to methat a Savage package gun or whatever brand that is offered for the "value" minded sportsman is going to have a $25 atop it to keep the price down.I have seen a few Weatherby Mark V package deals with Nikon Monarchs attached to them, but those are not your average deals and yes, they more costly.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

My savage 111 came with a Simmons Blazer on it. The scope was alright but i wasnt impressed with it. I now have it mounted on a 22 and put a 4-12 40mm Bushnell Elite 3200 on it.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Spike

Get a Stevens, adjust the trigger and buy a real scope.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Nothing but problems getting mine to focus on my .300 WM package, rifle is okay, would spend the extra bucks on a Leupold, no question for me. My scope seems to be some kind of hybrid between bushnell and simmons.

Quick Reply: Savage package rifle scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.