Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 cleaning with brush? >

cleaning with brush?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

cleaning with brush?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Spike

Default cleaning with brush?

I have a dumb question.. When cleaning with a rod and brush I know you should push it through from the breech end of the barrel but should you pull it back through or screw the brush tip off while its sticking out of the other end of the barrel then only pull the rod back through. I know you go back and forth with the patches but just not sure if it could damage rifling by pushing the bronze brush though then pulling it back to you? Sorry for the dumb ?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cleaning with brush?

I pull it both ways. I know you have to protect the crown of the rifle but I have always brushed both ways (brass brush, never steel). I first push a patch soaked (and I mean soaked) with whatever solvent you prefer, I then let the solvent soak in the riflings for 10 minutes (recommended no longer than 10 mins with ammonia based solvents) and then I brush it about 10 strokes and a stroke to me is out and back in = 1 stroke. Then I dry patch it until dry and clean and if I know I am not going to be shooting for a little while I will push a patch through with some break free oil on it.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually WV you are a backward on your cleaning. What I do is first run a wet solvent patch through the bore from the chamber using a cleaning rod with a jag (it comes off at the muzzle when you pull the rod back out). Then dip the brush in solvent and run it back and forth through the bore 5 or 6 times. Then dry patch with jag. Again with brush dipped in solvent 5-6 times. Then dry patches, wet patch, dry patches, etc. until patches come out clean. Then a couple drops of oil on patch.
You should not run your patch back and forth through the bore, especially when you first start cleaning. The initial wet patch pushes most of the loose fouling out of the bore and 'pretreats' the bore with solvent. The brush then loosens any fouling adhering to the bore.
Another note, if you have a copper buildup, you may want to run a wet patch of a good copper solvent through the bore and let it sit for about 5 - 10 mins (read the directions on the bottle). Then run a dry patch through. A blue residue on the patch is the oxidized copper coming out. Keep doing this until patches come out clean. Don't forget to oil bore to neutralize the copper solvent.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:46 AM
bigcountry

Its overkill to remove the brush at the muzzle. It would probably be the best thing to do, to protech the edges of the muzzle. But way too tedious for me. I try to limit my brush use. And use brass jags with semi abrasive cleaners like JB bore, and when I get to the end of my stroke,after scrubbing, I remove the jag and pull my rod back thru.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use the jags with the pointed tips. After bing pushed through the bore, it comes off the jag and falls on a piece of newspaper I have laying under the muzzle. If you use the slotted type you should pull the patch off before pulling the rod back through.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

I use the jags with the pointed tips. After bing pushed through the bore, it comes off the jag and falls on a piece of newspaper I have laying under the muzzle. If you use the slotted type you should pull the patch off before pulling the rod back through.
I think it works that way for everyone don't it?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

In my opinion, I don't think that you have to use brushes at all. If you clean your barrel soon after shooting, some soaked patches w/solvent followed by a few dry ones will do just fine. Too many people damage their barrels and cause excessive/unnecessary wear on thieir barrels by scrubbing the heck out of the rifling. Just my 2cents.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use brushes at all with rifles. They are mostly for loosening powder fouling but there are good solvents that are out there that will do it without the need for a brush. I use a brush on the shotgun occasionally to remove plastic fouling from wads though.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Garminator

In my opinion, I don't think that you have to use brushes at all. If you clean your barrel soon after shooting, some soaked patches w/solvent followed by a few dry ones will do just fine. Too many people damage their barrels and cause excessive/unnecessary wear on thieir barrels by scrubbing the heck out of the rifling. Just my 2cents.
Just curious, how does a soft metal like "brass" on a bore brush, wear out a "steel rifle barrel"? If that was the case, the Rifle manufacture's would put a warning right on the gun not to use them!! I've never seen any warnings concerning using a brass cleaning brush?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just use a bore snake nowdays. If it gets really dirty, I will brush and scrub with patches. But it doesnt get too dirty nowdays since I have the bore snake and it is very easy and efficient to use.

Quick Reply: cleaning with brush?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.