Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Magnum Research Lone Eagle pistol? >

Magnum Research Lone Eagle pistol?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Magnum Research Lone Eagle pistol?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Magnum Research Lone Eagle pistol?

Has anyone in here ever shot a Magnum Research Lone Eagle pistol in large caliber with the muzzle brake? Can you tell me about recoil and accuracy?

I'm interested in possibly finding one for whitetail. We have to usea straight-walled case, so my only options are 45-70 and .444.

The thing that has me going is that my 45-70 levergun kicks a bit with hot loads. So,I cannot even imagine it being possible to hang onto those loads in a pistol like this. Does the muzzle brake really handle the recoil that much? Or is this thing going to fly out of my hand if I don't hang on tight?

The reason I want this is mainly because thecost ofa S&W .460 is too much for me right now.

By the way, is any calibersmaller in a pistol interchangeable with the .444 cartridge, like .44 mag for example?

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Magnum Research Lone Eagle pistol?

I've shot lone eagles and really liked the "cannon" breech. They are out of production so the encore would be better bet. The ones I shot,did very well indeed.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Typical Buck

Mine is a 35 Remington w/o the muzzle brake so I can't answer about how effective they are. The recoil on my gun is, is, kinda hard to describe, it doesn't hurt or sting like a 454 DA revolver, but the muzzle will flip up 90% when shooting of a bench and bags. Not much rearward push. The way the gun balances, a little weight to muzzle, almost neutral balance.

You won't want to shoot 44 mag in a 444, the base and rim of the 444 is larger than the 44, you might get one to fire but the case would rupture and vent gas thru the action.

Competitor Corp is making the latest version of the Lone Eagle so if you want a new and improved gun they are availble, of note, the Competitor Corp gun parts are not interchangable with the lone eagle, so says Comp Corp. http://www.competitor-pistol.com/
Old 10-19-2007, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 Lone Eagles. 22-250, 7br and 308. The 308 is the only one with a muzzle break on it. The break is one of the early Magnum Research cannon types. The center grip on the Lone Eagle makes the gun recoil up rather than straight back, what I am trying to say is my Ruger in 454 recouls harder... it is harder on the elbows and shoulder than my 308.
I don't shoot my 308 much but did at one time preparing for an antelope hunt. At that time I was getting sub 2" groups at 200 yards.
The trigger on the Lone Eagle is not light and has plenty of creep but with practice can be mastered.
All in all the Lone Eagle is a great hand gun. If I had my choice between 2 of the same Lone Eagles, one with a break the other without in 308 I would get the one with the break. I would not get a break on smaller calibers, I do not own a rifle with a break.
This pic was taken before I purchased my Lone Eagle in 7br

Old 10-19-2007, 07:45 PM

Another person just pointed out the Competitor line as well to me, and I'll have to say that I never realized they existed. But now that I know they do, it seems like it makes the most sense to go with them, since you can actually find the barrels for under $200 to swap out. Whereas the Lone Eagle you had to do the entire action.

I'm thinking about going the Competitor route in the .405 Win or other high-performance caliber instraight case.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The top right handgun in my pic is a Competitor. It has a WAY BETTER trigger than any of my Lone Eagles.
You may consider a removeable muzzle break.
on a 405 I believe you would never remove it!