Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I need a new deer rifle.  But don't know what the best Value is. >

I need a new deer rifle. But don't know what the best Value is.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need a new deer rifle. But don't know what the best Value is.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default I need a new deer rifle. But don't know what the best Value is.

I need a new deer rifle I've looked at all the big brands. They all have things I like. I need some opinions from others. I'm wanting to stay in the 700 dollar range.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I need a new deer rifle. But don't know what the best Value is.

Remington 700 or Ruger or CZ.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

If your looking for the best value like you said, check out the line of Savage rifles. Depending on the chambering you want you can get the models 11, 111, 110, 16, 116 or the American Classic which i believe is the 14 & 114. These are all bolt action rifles and chambered for several different cartridges. And Savage has a reputation for good 'out of the box' accuracy. The money you save on the rifle can be applied to a higher end scope and still be within your budget. The Rems, Brownings, etc are nice but cost a bit more.
I just purchased another Savage (#6) for my grandson. It is the 11FYCAK. I got it in 7-08 and it is the youth model with detachable mag and muzzlebrake. I'm 5'9" and I really like the way this rifle fits me with its shorter stock. He has about 9 more years to go until he starts hunting. I just hope I don't have this rifle wore out by then.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you planning to put a scope on the rifle? If so, isthe scope included in your budgeted price? Give the Tikka T3some serious consideration. Whole lot of rifle for the money.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

A good deer rifle is a (multiple) lifetime investment. IMO get the very best you can afford then enjoy it for the rest of your life. Then give it to your kid, or grandkid and let them enjoy it for the rest of their life. I know I wouldn't carry a rifle that I wasn't happy with just to save a few bucks.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: deerhunter729

I need a new deer rifle I've looked at all the big brands. They all have things I like. I need some opinions from others. I'm wanting to stay in the 700 dollar range.
Shoulder 'em all, and see which one picks you. If you can, close your eyes, & have someone hand you guns: that way you don't get suckered-in by looks. Seriously, all rifles are gonna go, "boom!", and they'll all put a bullet into a minute-of-deer circle at over 200 yards. If the rifle doesn't do that, send it back, & they'll make it right.

If youselect your rifle this way, the question of which action to choose can take care of itself: if a lever action flies right up to your shoulder, then get it! They kill deer just as well as bolt actions, pumps, autos, single shots... you get the idea.

Also, plan on spending $150 up to $400 (if you can swing it...) for a scope. Anything less is squandering your $$$, & anything more starts giving less and less bang for your buck.

If the rifle is for deer only, I'd recommend cartridges from .243 up to .270. Ifyou'll be chasing bigger critters, you could bump it up to .30-'06 & be OK for just about everything else. If you're dying to hunt polar bears, get a 2ndrifle,chambered for a thunderous cartridge!

When it comes to the opinions you get, remember that these are rifles, and not computer chips. The more humans you have involved in producing something, the higher the odds are fora lemon being produced. Every mfgr. may have a crappy gun leave the plant from time to time, but no company can stay in business if their average rifle stinks, or if they don't take care of their customers. So just because someone tells you they had a bad experience with a rifle, don't automatically give up on that brand: it could've been a "Monday" gun.

Close your eyes, let your gun pick you, then get to the range for some shootin'!

FC
Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 AM

check out your local walmart. Mine has Remington 700 sps 270/30-06 's on closeout for $300. that is the best bargain you will ever find. . I can't even buy the action for that amount. That would leave you with 400 to buy some good glass. I would recommend the Zeiss Conquest 3x9-40mm for $399. With that combo you would have a world renowned rifle and scope for 7 bills. Later on you can upgrade the cheap plastic stock, rebarrel with a match grade tube etc. there is nothing better to build a custom rifle on than the 700 action.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

check out your local walmart. Mine has Remington 700 sps 270/30-06 's on closeout for $300. that is the best bargain you will ever find. . I can't even buy the action for that amount. That would leave you with 400 to buy some good glass. I would recommend the Zeiss Conquest 3x9-40mm for $399. With that combo you would have a world renowned rifle and scope for 7 bills. Later on you can upgrade the cheap plastic stock, rebarrel with a match grade tube etc. there is nothing better to build a custom rifle on than the 700 action.
That is REALLY cheap for a 700. I am buying an action right now for $390 and that is stripped, no trigger, no mag, no trigger guard. I wish our Wal-Mart still sold guns!! [:@]
Old 10-11-2007, 06:08 PM

One of the guys in my hunting camp showed up yesterday with a new Savage 30/06 that he picked up at Dicks for $300, & it included a 3x9 scope that was ok. On the range, it turned in groups of a bit over an inch. Pretty good bargain, & built in America.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:39 PM

I bought a weatherby vanguard for 410$ then spent another 340$ for a burris scope that came with a nice little spotting scope with it in a 257 wby mag. Came to a little over 700$, I can shoot sub 1 inch groups at 100 yds out of the box, and hit a 400yd 8"X8" target every single time. This round shoots SCARY flat and FAST. Ammo can cost a little much but premium ammo is costly no matterwhat you shoot.

Quick Reply: I need a new deer rifle. But don't know what the best Value is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.