Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger ?

Old 10-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ruger ?

Ok, I recently got 2 Rugers.. One I bought and One I traded for.. The first is a Ruger M77 Compact in 7mm-08 with a 16.5" barrell and the 2nd is Ruger M77 in 22-250.. Both of them I am having trouble with in getting tight groups.. The 22-250 I know what the problem is.. I had Bass Pro Shops put a scope on and the base screws were not tight.. But the 7mm08 seems to be another issue.. Not sure if it is me or what..I have shot a Weatherby my entire life so this is my first experince with Rugers.

Anybody else got any input on the Rugers?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:17 PM

Default RE: Ruger ?

Probably junk.....

Sell 'em to me and I'll worry about it.

What's the best group you are getting?

Ammo? Bullet weight?

Bought 'em new or used?

Brand of scope?

Ect...................................

Old 10-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Need a bit more info one these issues besides "having trouble with in getting tight groups". My first suggestion is try different ammo - different loads, different bullet weights, etc. Without more specific, there's too many variables.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Out of the 7mm08I am shooting the Rem 120 Grain HP.. I was able to get.. An example of last weeks shooting.. I had 1 bullet about 3" left of Bullseye, 1 about 2 inches left of bullseye.. 1 rigth at the top of the bullseye and 2 touching at about 2" inches above bullseye.. So I am not sure if it me or the gun.. But I am leaning towards me.. Been thinking about getting a vice to put the gun in..
Old 10-09-2007, 07:35 PM

What's you experience with Riflery.....just curious.

One needs to learn how to drive before they can race........

Practice, practice, practice...

Only move to make.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well...Assuming all the stock and scope screws are tight, the bedding solid, the scope reliable and you know how to shoot...

Try another brand of ammo...The man that tries one brand of ammo in his gun and shoots 1 1/2 inch groups out of a factory rifle is a very lucky man indeed...
Old 10-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just curious....what brand scope and model did you get put on the 7-08??
Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Well.. I have been shooting a Weatherby 243 for the last 20 years.. Never had to shoot it much.. Just a couple of rounds thru it each season to make sure it is still on.. This year I have exapaned my collection of rifles and put new scopes on all of them. So I am shooting more than ever.. The Ruger isa Compact with a Nikon Prostaff on it..

I think I know what the problem is.. Me.. But since I don't have a alot of experience with Ruger I was a bit concerned. I am going to invest in a good rest and do some more practice..
Old 10-10-2007, 12:19 PM

Its likley a combo of things barring everythings tight and ready to go(scopes good and tightened down and everythings clean and no barrel pittign). Get a few diff boxes of ammo in diff manufacturers and bullet weight/types and practice. The mix of the two should leave you more satisfied not only with the guns performance but yours as well.

If that does not solve the problem you could always have a smith look at it and see if there is a hidden underlying problem.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

All the posts have been right on so far. My limited experience with Ruger (M77, 300 Win Mag) is that: Rugers triggers leave something to be desired. I had mine in for a trigger job at my local gunsmith. When I went to pick it up he showed me another problem. When he put the action in the stock and snugged up the front screw he told me to look at the point where the barrel and action met as he tightened the rear screw. The barrel moved about 1/8 of an inch away from the stock. He told me that it needed a bedding job. His prices are reasonable so I had him do it. The rifle shot much better with the trigger and bedding jobs but was still fickle about what I shot out of it. The only thing it would shoot well (at least to my self imposed standards) was 180 gr. Sierra Game Kings with hot loads of IMR4350.
As for the 7-08, I have two of them. The Browning Micro Hunter likes 139 gr Hornadys and The Savage 11 prefers the 154 gr Hornadys and different powders for both. This just solidifies the fact that different rifles prefer different ammo. So like everyone else has said, try different ammo before changing scopes, bedding, etc.

Quick Reply: Ruger ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.