Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Out west rifle need help >

Out west rifle need help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Out west rifle need help

Old 10-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Out west rifle need help

...But then, you can never have TOO many guns so if you have a 270 and want a 300 WSM or 30-06, go for it I figure. However, if you can only have one or the other or only the two, I too would recommend going to a 325 Ruger or larger, good for elk and big bears.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

I agree 100% that if you have a 270 there is no need to go to a .30 cal. I just like the .30 cal. and in fact if a guy were to start off and only want one rifle I think the 270 wsm is a very hard one to beat. very flat shooter and enough energy for N america big game.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Spike

You're better off using the .270 you are familiar with. With a good bullet, like a 150 grain Nosler Partition, youcan be sure that you have plenty to kill any elk that ever walked the face of the earth. With that bullet, I use 52.0 grains of H4350 on my loads. I had a broadside shot on a large bull 3 years ago, and that round/load performed well. The bull ran 30 yards and slid into a sagebrush. When I opened him up, his lungs were basically jelly. That Nosler bullet passed through and through on that large bull at a distance of 285 yards.

Another poster mentioned he used this load but with significantly more powder behind it. I would beware following this recommendation. The Nosler Handbook recommends 52.0 grains of H4350 as the absolute upper end safe load with this round. Also, the load I spoke of above is the most accurate load out of the 20 or so Nosler tested for this setup. See, the Nosler Reloading Guide, 5th edition, page 211. Federal also sells factory ammo now loaded with Nosler Partition bullets.

Hot loads are called hot for a reason. They can do damage to the rifle, the shooter and the meat on the other end (as in render it unedible). This is also a good reason never to buy a used rifle/handgun/shotgun.

Better you use safe loads and develop the knowledge, skills and ability to get within a reasonable range to your quarry.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure, cannons kill elk too. My last elk came courtesy of a 300 gr A-square from my .375 H&H. Took out the lungs and heart ("sucked them through the exit wound" might be a better description) and the 5x5 still went nearly 100 yards, fortunately downhill TOWARD camp and leaving a foot-wide blood trail.

Yup Shato, you CAN shoot thumpers with the same degree of accuracy you can a standard caliber.

I'm still not convinced though that someone who shoots a standard like a .270 well (I've never owned one, probably never will) would be undergunned with it in the elk woods. Granted, if you're hunting around Yellowstone, you're probably well off leaving the .270and opting for something significantly larger (.338-.375), lest you have problems defending yourself against all those peaceful griz'. I used to hunt elk with a .243, probably borderline irresponsible. I'm perfectly comfortable though with my good old .30-06.

If you're looking for a "second" rifle, I'll chime in that the .30s will be too close to the capabilities of your .270 to make them worth much. If you had a .270 and a .338-.375 class magnum, you could easily hunt the entire continent.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

I think your idea is sound. You have a .270 so the question is two fold. Do you see yourself buying several more rifles in increasing caliber size? And what else do you see yourself hunting in the future?
Either of the two calibers you mention would be great for your purpose. I have buddies that use both and no problems. If you ever see yourself wanting to step up to the .338 (or bigger), then a .300WM now would be the logical step. If you don't, then getting the bigger bullet of the .325 WSM would be nice. Gives you a good balance between the .300 and the .338!

And for anyone that shoots a lot or would like to shoot their medium/large bore hunting guns and shoot them proficiently, then practice is key. Practice without developing a flinch. Get you a lead sled (or make one as my shooting partner did) and good on ya mate!!! My .338RUM has had around 500 rounds put through it in the last couple years. 97gr of powder and she packs a punch. With 75 lbs of shot on the sled, feels like shooting a .243.
This allows you to shoot 20 or 30 times at a session or more and from my experience, the groups I shoot tend to get better as I you go. Makes a favorite hunting caliber a fun range shooting caliber!!!
A little off the subject, but as most have noted, one of the biggest drawbacks to going up in caliber is being able to proficiently handle the additional recoil.

Just my .02...
Old 10-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still see no sense in getting a 7mm OR 30 caliber rifle. The only logical choice considering he already has .270 is .325wsm,or .338 wm. If those rifles (270 and 32/33 mag)don't cover all bases I'll eat my hat!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:28 AM

In the future I see myself going after bear and moose along side of Elk and Mullies. I have thought about the 325. I dont have flinch right now and hope not to develop it.

I can try doing the .270 loads you mentioned JoeBigSky and see what groups I get. To be honest I am also looking for an excuse to buy a rifle as well, but there's no reson not to try that load and give it a shot.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see the .325wsm and .338 win m as being basically pretty darn close ballistically so either one will work great.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Typical Buck

My 2 cents, you already have a 270, good all around gun. Of the choices listed I would go with the Rem 700 Mtn in 325 WSM. Why, I have a Rem 700 Mtn in 270 and love the gun, but for elk I shoot a Win 70 XTR Shadow 338 Win mag. The larger caliber (325) will do more than the 300 WSM, I'm talking about BIG BEAR or other large animals. Big bullets = horsepower.

There is always a good reason to buy another gun
Old 10-25-2007, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sorry guys I think I missed something here.A .300wm has 500 to 600 ftlbs on a .270win,so how is that not better? and with a 50gr bigger bullet.I have had a .270win for 25 years and a .300 wm for 20 years and I can see a distinct difference between them.On the range and in the field.

Quick Reply: Out west rifle need help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.