Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 browning a-bolt owners, step in plz >

browning a-bolt owners, step in plz

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

browning a-bolt owners, step in plz

Old 10-07-2007, 09:07 PM

Default browning a-bolt owners, step in plz

I recently bought a browning a-bolt composite stalker in .30-06. If I fire 8 rounds one after the other at 100yards I get the following: First two make 1/2" group wherever you wantit. Next two shots drift about 3" left and make 1" group. The rest of the shots appear randomly, but remain within a 6" group. So the hotter the gun gets, the more randomly it shoots. Seems the first two shots on a cold barrelare all it can do 'reliably.'

I'm using Remington UMC 150gr full metal jackets, and Remington Express core-lokt in165gr. Results are the same with either ammo. I've hadseveral other people shoot therifle as well, with the same results. Clean barrel, oily barrel,or slightly dirty barrel doesn't seem to matter either....the first two shots always go where you want it, after that, who knows!

SOOOOO is this normal a-bolt behavior, or?!? Could the remington cartridges be too fast or slow for this rifle? What does everyone else use for ammo??

any info appreciated as always..

--matt

Old 10-08-2007, 02:45 AM

Default RE: browning a-bolt owners, step in plz

I think that's what happens when any barrel gets hot, the bullets start walking. Albeit, different rifles do this to different degrees. If this is your hunting rifle, don't worry. If you're using this for competition, worry.

Actually the best way to zero the hunting rifle is to shoot once, give the barrel 30-60 miinutes to cool, then shoot again. This will best simulate hunting conditions (one shot on a cold barrel).

I have never shot my A-Bolt more than three or four shots per group, but never seen drastic groups like yours. Try different bullets and give the barrel a chance to season or break-in.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have the exact same rifle but in 308. I guess I have never fired more than five or six rounds at one setting but mine puts that many in a pretty small group. I would suspect some poor stock to action fit. You may want to look into glass bedding the action and free floating the barrel. I usually just fire a three shot group before a hunting trip as you seldom need more than a couple shots.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:58 AM

so i called up browning this morning...their response: their rifles are designed to be accurate for 2-3 shots, andthey have no ammunition recommendations beyond "factory loaded." basically iftheriflecan't robinhood two shots on a cold clean barrel, there's something wrong with the rifle....but after two shots it's gonna move. they said for higher volume shooting a different ammunition *might* help make the groups a bit smaller, but again, no recommendations.

so yeah, i'm glad this is my hunting rifle and not my competition gun!

--matt
Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 AM
bigcountry

What your seeing is fairly normal, and nothing out of the ordinary. The browning A-Bolt small barrel really had an effect on temp and shots fired. I know my A-bolt in 308 shoots the first cold bore shot 1" high and 1.5" to the right. After I let it cool, dead center and subMOA for 2 shots. If I throw a 3rd shot, it usually opens my groups to 1.5" group.

Now, I could tear out the original bedding and rebed and monkey around for more consistency, but I know the gun and how it reacts pretty well, and its a hunting rifle, so I leave it alone.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

basically if the rifle can't robinhood two shots on a cold clean barrel, there's something wrong with the rifle...
If that's your standard, you're going to have a VERY hard time finding a sporter weight rifle that fits it. Heck, you'd have a hard time finding a factory stock varmint rifle that will do that consistantly. I think you've set your sights too high (pun intended). If it'll shoot 2" groups all the time with factory ammo, Browning's not going to tell you there's anything wrong with it, because there probably isn't. Try different ammo, some rifles are particular. I had a similar problem with my Savage. Found out that when I had reassembled after it's initial cleaning/lube I had not gotten the recoil lug and action seated quite right when I tightened the action screws which caused a wandering zero. Also, you should try to let the rifle cool for several minutes between shots. I tend to get impatient and shoot too fast getting the barrel too hot, it's easy to do. If there is any stress in the barrel it can flex and the POI can shift. I found this out the hard way. Just slow down and take your time. These are bolt action rifles, not machineguns.

Mike
Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: driftrider

basically if the rifle can't robinhood two shots on a cold clean barrel, there's something wrong with the rifle...
If that's your standard, you're going to have a VERY hard time finding a sporter weight rifle that fits it. Heck, you'd have a hard time finding a factory stock varmint rifle that will do that consistantly. I think you've set your sights too high (pun intended). If it'll shoot 2" groups all the time with factory ammo, Browning's not going to tell you there's anything wrong with it, because there probably isn't. Try different ammo, some rifles are particular. I had a similar problem with my Savage. Found out that when I had reassembled after it's initial cleaning/lube I had not gotten the recoil lug and action seated quite right when I tightened the action screws which caused a wandering zero. Also, you should try to let the rifle cool for several minutes between shots. I tend to get impatient and shoot too fast getting the barrel too hot, it's easy to do. If there is any stress in the barrel it can flex and the POI can shift. I found this out the hard way. Just slow down and take your time. These are bolt action rifles, not machineguns.

Mike
I have found it. Its called Cooper Arms. Also found another. NULA's. Guaranteed for cold bore accuracy.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry,

The Coopers are a notable exception, but I would place them in the category of "semi-custom" in terms of production volume. I was really referring to the true factory mass-production rifles (which the Browning A-Bolt is), which I really don't think Cooper fits this category, but I could be wrong. Our local Scheels stocks Cooper rifles and they all come with a test target (usually prominently displayed alogside the rifle in the case!) that is usually a one hole group. Now, it is important to remember that the test/proof groups are shot in an indoor range using a 36x target scope off of a machine rest with carefully worked up handloaded test ammo, so it reflects what the rifle is capable of in optimum controlled conditions. I would bet that real world results would vary, but would still be fairly impressive. It should also be noted that one pays a handsome sum for Coopers out-of-box accuracy too.

Mike

Old 10-08-2007, 11:40 AM
bigcountry

Hey, if the fella demands cold bore accuracy of subMOA every time all the time, he's going to have to pay for it.

Quick Reply: browning a-bolt owners, step in plz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.