Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Short or Long Action-6mm rifle project... >

Short or Long Action-6mm rifle project...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Short or Long Action-6mm rifle project...

Old 09-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Short or Long Action-6mm rifle project...

Okay guys, I have some money saved in my "gun fund", now I am trying to decide what to build. I know that I want to build a 6mm something. Either a .243 Win, .243 Ackley, 6mmx284, or a 6mm-06 Ackley or maybe even a 6mm BR if it could be a repeater. What do you think?

Midway has both CZ and Rem 700 actions available, I really like the CZ single set trigger...???

I'm pretty sure I will do a Pac-Nor barrel, and an HS stock...

It will be a varmint/deer rifle, around 11 lbs with scope and bipod will be fine.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Short or Long Action-6mm rifle project...

Just something to think about....we all know fiddling with bullet seating depths can be a frustrating thing when limited to magazine well length. If it was a solid box single shot or a break-open, no problem. With a magazine involved it can be a bit of a problem. Action lengths and feeding are something to consider........
Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Long, Tom.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys, the OAL in a short action was something that I was thinking about. I think a Long action would probably be the best too.

I was just looking at Mini-30's also, I think one chambered in 6mm BR or PPCmight be more fun then a bolt gun... oh decisions...
Old 09-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks RR, who built your Mini for you? I was looking at Accuracy Systems rifles...

I think a 6mmx284 with a 700 Long action is probably what I have decided on. I might even do a Magnum Research barrel....
Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

That 6X284 is a real smoker. I have looked at one myself. Just be aware that brass is unavailable. You will have to resize from other brass. Be careful with the Ruger's. If accuracy is what you are after I would go with the AR platform. There are very many new caliber upper's available. Also resale if needed would be considerably more advantageous over the Mini. Tom.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would love to buy an AR instead of the Mini, but I live in the DemocraticRepublic of Kalifornia [:@]. I did find a loop-hole to "build" my AR that I currently have, but I'm not going to hunt with it or use it too much until they figure out the laws here. Thats pretty much the only reason I was looking at the Minis.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those are some nice rifles RR. About the caliber, okay, now I don't really want the 6x284, I thought they allhad about the same barrel life. Do you think the 6mm AI would be better then the .243 AI? I am now between those two. I am leaning towards the .243 just because I have a bunch of brass and ammo... But its not that big of deal...

Thanks

And I plan on shooting 80gr. Bergers and 85gr. TSX's and maybe some A-Maxs or VLD Bergers, would the short action handle those, or should I go long? I am planning a 1/12 twist, I hope it will be fine?? Thats the only twist Magnum Research makes for a 6mm tube.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks RR. I checked with Berger and they recommend a 1/12 twist for the 80gr. bullet, so the 85gr. TSX should shoot just fine too. Those would be my two bullets I would use the most, the VLD's I was just thinking would be fun to try out, but Iwouldn't use them regularly. I will just buy an unchambered barrel (from whoever I end up going with) and then send it to Kampfeld Customs to get fitted and chambered. The only reason I started looking at the carbon barrels from Magnum Research was because of the price. After I get a blank barrel from Pac-Nor, then flute it, and get it coated, it would only be like $150 more to get a carbon barrel (which I have always wanted).
Old 09-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeepkid-a company called canjar in denver co has been making excellent quality single set triggers for some years and I wholeheartedly reccomend them. They are available for most centerfire major brand rifles. I have tried just about every trigger available when building rifles and have yet to find a trigger that will even come close to compare to-let alone best canjar triggers. They are reasonablely priced ($150-200),and require very little fitting/adjustment,FULLY adjustable,and simple to install.
As to cartridge,I really don't think there's a lot of difference in the different wildcats unless you choose a exotic wildcat that's going to burn barrels up quickly. Another thing to consider is as velocity goes way up,you meet the point of diminishing returns on amount of powder vs velocity gain. Also,bullet selection becomes more critical for good terminal performance.

Quick Reply: Short or Long Action-6mm rifle project...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.