Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 "AT MY WITS END" >

"AT MY WITS END"

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

"AT MY WITS END"

Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default "AT MY WITS END"

I'm about to loose it guys. With deer season around the corner I recently attempted to sight my Browning A-bolt SS in 270 WSM & this darn thing wont seem to group!!! I mean, it's never been one of my better shooters (2.5 MOA at best) but i'm really staring to give up on this thing!!! I've tried at least 4 different types of ammo & no luck yet. Any advice would be much appreciated, God Bless.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "AT MY WITS END"

How do you clean? What kind of glass? Who mounted the scope? Did you check your action screws?

Tom
Old 09-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Hoppes, bore brush, patches etc.. Leupold VX II 3 x 9 x 50, Leupold rings one pice base, Mounted & bore sighted by Bass Pro Shops....
Old 09-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry Stat, I have not checked the action screws but the rifle has less than100 rds through it

Old 09-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Spike

First check your scope for tightness. Make sure you clean the bore extensively and then re-shoot.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad had the same problem with his Browning, and it was all over the place, but it turned out that the screws were loose at the action and the stock, after he tightened them, it shoots great, try that.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

I'll try that thx Younggun.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Garminator

, Mounted & bore sighted by Bass Pro Shops....
That could be your culprit. unfortunately some of the staff at BPS aren't all that qualified. Thats where I would start after the action screws. I remounted a base that had came from BPS and had 15 rounds through it. Two of the three base screws where too loose by my standards. One had almost backed out. none of them had locktite on them. I called and asked BPS why they hadn't put blue locktite on the screws and they told me that Leupold had told them not to. I lockite every one that I put on.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

ORIGINAL: Garminator

, Mounted & bore sighted by Bass Pro Shops....
That could be your culprit. unfortunately some of the staff at BPS aren't all that qualified. Thats where I would start after the action screws. I remounted a base that had came from BPS and had 15 rounds through it. Two of the three base screws where too loose by my standards. One had almost backed out. none of them had locktite on them. I called and asked BPS why they hadn't put blue locktite on the screws and they told me that Leupold had told them not to. I lockite every one that I put on.
I was going to say the same thing but I didn't want to be the first to say it.

Tom
Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 PM

Yep, I would check the action screws and the the scope. I would then try a good ole fashioned cleaning.

Quick Reply: "AT MY WITS END"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.