Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Wandering Zero on Savage 111 .30-06 >

Wandering Zero on Savage 111 .30-06

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wandering Zero on Savage 111 .30-06

Old 09-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wandering Zero on Savage 111 .30-06

Boy it's been a long time since I posted anything here, but it's good to be back.

Just got myself a brand new Savage 110 30-06 walnut/blue w/ accutrigger cheap because there is a ding on the stock from handling in the store as a display model. Well, to be honest, it was a couple months ago that i got it but I just got a chance to take it out and put some rounds thru it. (I'm an OTR truck driver with a wife and 2 yound kids and the time I get at home is precious and range time is usually at the bottom of the list). Bought this rifle to take up to Minnesota and hunt deer with my brother. Anyway, I got two boxes of ammo (no time to handload either [:@]), both Federal Fusion, one in 150gr and the other 165gr, to see which my rifle would like better. Anyway, my rifle shoots great for the first 2 shots off a completely cold barrel, always less than 1.5MOA, but after that the zero starts to wander down and right so by the 5th shot the zero is (usually) 1.5 inches lower and 3 inches right of the cold barrel zero. I know this can happen when the barrel touches the stock, but the barrel is freefloated almost to the barrel nut. The stock is also pillar bedded as all Savages are, so I'm not sure why the zero gets squirrely after a couple shots. For referance, I was shooting off a bipod with the buttstock bedded into sandbags on a stable shooting bench.

Anyway, is there anything I can do that won't cost alot to fix it. I know that it's probably ok as is because I probably wont shoot more than twice at a deer anyway, but the problem will drive me crazy if I'm not 100 confident that the bullet will go where I aim it as long as I don't screw up the shot. It's a confidence thing [].

Thanks,

Mike

Edit:

BTW, the rifle does this with both bullet weights.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wandering Zero on Savage 110 .30-06

Oh, look at that, they added a new "member ranking". I'm "Addicted to HNI"! Well, I guess I was on the wagon long enough. Time for a relapse![8D]
Old 09-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

Are you letting the barrel cool down between shots? If that ain't the problem then I'd be checking the tightness of the scope mounts. What kind of scope do you have? Some cheaper scopes may not handle the recoil. There is one other possible explanation, although a stretch, if you haven't put many shots through it your barrel might not be properly broken in yet and the groups should start improving. I don't think this is really an issue with most rifles, but you never know when you'll get one that's finicky. Speaking of wich, you might want to try some other ammo besides the fusions to see what it likes the best.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree about the scope's mounts/rings. This would be the first thing I would check!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Does it come return to the original POI after the barrel cools down to ambient? If so I would be suspect of the bedding/stock channel. I know you said it is free floated to the barrel nut but how is after the stacked shots? Check for rub marks on the stock or barrel that would indicate touching. Could also be improper torque on the action screws, check the owners manual for torque specs and check your rifle - when it heats up it causes a bind in the mating result in a shifting POI. An inch lb driver is required for this, so may need to take it to gunsmith. Bit ofa guessbut my savage ML which prior to me bedding it was a bit erratic without being torqued properly - though that was a syth stock version not wood.

If the poi remains low after it returns to ambient. Are you oiling the bore and not removing it prior to the intial firing? Excess oil causes excess pressure which willalter your POI (often higher).

If your POI returns on a cold barrel each time that would pretty much rule out a scope or mounting issue, usually these show erratic POI's not a pattern such as you describe.

Trying a totally different brand of ammo wouldn't be bad either. I'd be inclined to try a 180gr offering a notable performer with regards to the 06.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

I have a savage 111 30-06. I am not sure of the difference between the 110 and 111 models? Anyway mine shoots well. I use CoreLokt 150gr, but the 165gr shoot a bit tigher.

At this point I would not rule out a defective scope. The Savage package comes with a Simmons scope which is OK but not great. If you could, swap the scope and fire few rounds to rule out scope.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:42 AM

i have had the same thing with mine.though it was made in the early 1990's (per savage). ivedone some experimenting w/ different bullets and the best so far is win'sballistic silvertips 168gr. but they have gone up $10/box in year and a half so ill be doing some more experimenting.
best of luck.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Try it without the bipod. I have read quite a few reports of the bipods and Savage tupperware stocks not getting along.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replys so far.

The POI moves back to zero when the rifle cools. It's not a package gun. The scope is a Konus 3.5-10x mounted on Leopold two-piece rings and bases. It always does roughly the same thing as it heats up, down and right every time. I'll check the action screws. I might have tightened them too much after i did my customary "new gun" cleaning/lube. Next time I get to the range I'll try backing them out 1/4 turn at a time and see if it settles down.

Also, while I do lightly lube the bore after cleaning with powder/copper solvents, I always run a couple dry patches thru the bore before shooting and usually disregard the first couple shots until I'm sure the bore's completely dry.

I will try different ammo next time, maybe Winchester or Federal generic PSP's. The Fusions seemed to want to group ok. The first two shots were rarily more than 1.5" apart with some well under an inch apart. I chose the Fusions because Cor-loks were $6/ a box more. I always remember the coreloks being good but inexpensive "budget bullets" but Remington must think they're made of gold these days cause the cheapest 150gr coreloks were $27/box. The Fusion 150gr were $20 and the 165gr were $21. I can't really afford premium ammo.

Mike

Old 09-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kelbro,

The stock is walnut (non- laminated).

Mike

Quick Reply: Wandering Zero on Savage 111 .30-06

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.