Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 742 ? >

Remington 742 ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 742 ?

Old 09-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Remington 742 ?

I have a remington 742 woodsmaster 30-06 in good shape and i have some questions. I been talking to some people and they tell me all it is , is a pie plate gun is this true? I use to shoot and i could put 6 shots in a quater at 75 yards. My biggest problem is i dont like semi auto the gun always chams , i need somethings i can count on. Should i dump the gun or is there a fix for it i have it all apart now and going to clean it but what would make it do this? Whats the pros and cons of this gun should iget rid of it an get a nice bolt gun?
Old 09-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 742 ?

should iget rid of it an get a nice bolt gun?
Yes. Then you'll never have to worry (practically never anyway) about function. Those remington pumps are decent functioning rifles too.I'd go with the bolt though for a single all around rifle.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

buck....I think Remington sold 46 Billion of those guns, seems all of my buddies either own one or have owned one in 30-06...Some group quite well and some don't...Those that don't are worn out, literally one of them has metal shavings in the chamber after shooting....

They can be very accurate, one of my buddies has one that will group 125 Ballistic tip handloads as well as I can hold....Funny thing is, they all own one, and have had it for years, only one ever uses his anymore, and his is his "backup gun"....Four of these guys now own Remington 700s in .243...

Old 09-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 742(30-06) that i bought new in 1974. It was my only deer rifle until i purchased a browning a-bolt(30-06) in 1995. My 742 is nowmy back up riflebut during those 20 years it was my only rifle. It grouped about 1.5 inches at 100 yards and it never jammed on me. The reason i bought the a-bolt was because i went to saskatchewan in 1995 and everyone said I needed a bolt action for the frigid weather in canada. i will admit that my a-bolt groups around .75-1 inch at 100 yards and weighs about 1/2 lb less than my remington. If you feel confident with your 742 then you should use it as your primary weapon until you find a sufficient reason to replace it.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckmastr229

I have a remington 742 woodsmaster 30-06 in good shape and i have some questions. I been talking to some people and they tell me all it is , is a pie plate gun is this true? I use to shoot and i could put 6 shots in a quater at 75 yards. My biggest problem is i dont like semi auto the gun always chams , i need somethings i can count on. Should i dump the gun or is there a fix for it i have it all apart now and going to clean it but what would make it do this? Whats the pros and cons of this gun should iget rid of it an get a nice bolt gun?
The Rem SA's for some reason are not nearly as good as the pumps they make which are essentially the same as the SA's, but w/o the gas system. For example, the 760's are very reliable and usually quite accurate. But I'd "retire" the 742 and get something that works better. Like you said, a good bolt-action............
Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ridgerunner-yer confused-you just talked about cleaning gas port-which is correct,THEN you state it is recoil operated?????? You know they are gas operated.

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

make sure the chamber is clean, clean the action and go very sparingly on the oil there. clean the gas tube and blow the gas port out, shoot midweight or heavier for caliber bullets, the rem is recoil operated.
RR
Old 09-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I had one years ago and it was my first real deer gun. It shot pretty accurately but had a history of jamming so I got rid of it.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ridgerunner-I ain't trying to argue with ya but yer wrong-remington 740,742,7400 all are conventional gas operated system-I've worked on dozens of them. They ain't recoil operated. As many years as I've been a gunsmith,I orta know. Even gas operated guns have spring.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used my Remington model 742 30-06 for over 30 years now,it jammed up 1 time,I cleaned and oiled it and it has done fine ever since.A friend of mine at work has the same model gun and his jammed up on him several times,the last time he had to take it to a gun smith to get it un-jammed and worked on.The gun smith told him the gun was pretty well shot and worn out so I'm suppose to buy it for spare parts for my Remington.

I finally bought me2 nice gun's to hunt with...a Browning Bolt Action A-bolt Hunter in the .243 and I have a Browning .270 WSMin the Bolt Action.The old Remington 30-06 will be stored away for use as back-up gun.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope those a-bolts make you as happy as they do me. browning a-bolt is my favorite bolt action centerfire.

Quick Reply: Remington 742 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.