Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Benelli Nova VS. Rem 870...need to know >

Benelli Nova VS. Rem 870...need to know

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Benelli Nova VS. Rem 870...need to know

Old 09-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Benelli Nova VS. Rem 870...need to know

I'm trying to buy a gun for my better half. This is for small game, waterfowl, upland birds etc. So it's gonna have a bird barrel, and needs to be in youth so it fits her. Here's the question, I can go with a Rem 870, or a benelli nova. Right now bass pro is advertising the benelli in 20 ga. w/ 24" vent rib barrel for $320. I've never owned a benelli so i' like some opinions here. However, myself and everyone I know owns an 870 an no one has ever had a problem. The 870 in youth is around $220. Is the benelli worth the extra $100? or should I stick with the 870? any opinions would help, and ASAP please. I'm making the drive to bass pro tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Benelli Nova VS. Rem 870...need to know

Unless it's going to be a suprize,she needs to handle both side by side to see which she prefers and which handles/fits her best. This is HIGHLY under rated! I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. The remington has been around longer and has more in way of aftermarket parts/upgrades. The nova has good features also.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

My girls shoots a Beretta 390 20ga. Got it at Wal-Mart for $300... last one they had... wish they would of had more, I'd of bought the lot.

Do not over look the BPS either. Its a little bit more money, but its a better gun than either the Nova or the 870. Novas work great, but they ain't much to look at or handle. And 870s sure ain't what they used to be.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:34 PM

IMO the Novas have a very awkward forend, are heavy, and don't cycle as easily. Those are the reasons I don't like them...The 870 express? To me they feel good in the hands, don't weigh as much as the Nova, seem to cycle more smoothly, and although they're not pretty, neither is the Nova Now I know there are enough fans of both guns to go back and forth all day, but this is my personal opinion. Go 870.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't take five Benelli's for my 870. But thats just my opinion.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-06-2007, 01:56 PM

Ok, unfortunately the trip was postponed, on the bright side it gives me longer to research. I've been reading that the nova, although a good shooting gun, it is bulkier and has more kick. That seems to be the consensus even among those that like the gun. I agree with having her hold it, it definitely needs to be a good fit. She has shot the 870 in youth and it seemed to be good for her. Also, there are more accessories available for the 870. So as of right now, I'm leaning towards the 870. If anyone can suggest another gun that's comparable in price, I'm listening. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta agree with swampcollie on browning bps. That's my pick of currently produced pump shotguns.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 PM

Winchester 1300 if you can find one. Excellent guns. They cycle extremely smoothly, are perfectly shaped for the hands IMO, and work flawlessly. They aren't that high dollar either. Around the 870 range.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

If you are going to be good to her go the extra step and get her an automatic!!! less felt recoil, less work for her = more shooting!. I watched a girl this past weekend dove hunting, she onlyknocked down a few birds but was haveing a good time, so much of a good time that her and her husband were one of the last to leave the feilds, she was shooting a Beretta AL 391, Im sure if it had been a pump she wouldnt have lasted near as long, fact is, I heard alot of guys complaining about long shoots with the 870s as well!.

Quick Reply: Benelli Nova VS. Rem 870...need to know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.