Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ballistics Aurgument Rational >

Ballistics Aurgument Rational

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ballistics Aurgument Rational

Old 09-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ballistics Aurgument Rational

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Hey Guys,

So for years now it always comes up .270 better than this or that. etc....

When deciding what is better than another where does bullet weight come into play?

Said another way, how can we compare a .270 to a .308 if they shoot completely different bullets?

Should retained energy be the measurement?

O
n another level I'm wondering since there appears to be lots of factors, kick, bullet weight, amount of powder, trajectory etc... if there couldn't be a mathematical model that quantifies a cartridge. Basically every cartridge gets a number based on it's factors. Does this make any sense?

Ok I'm done rambling let me have it.

Tom
Retained energy really doesn't tell you much, because kinetic energy cannot be directly related to killing effect. For example, a .308 Winchester will produce much greater kinetic energy than a .54-caliber pure lead round ball launched as fast as a muzzleloader can launch it, yet the round ball will also do a creditable job of killing game.

In addition, although I can understand your desire to develop a "formula" that will permit you to calculate the usefulness of a given cartridge or compare cartridges, I do not believe this is really possible, since so many of the factors are more subjective than real. Many have tried in the past, yet the results of such labors is questionable at best. For example, you can calculate the free recoil of a specific load in a gun of given weight, but this number does not indicate how that recoil "feels" to an individual shooter. Some find the recoil of a .30/'06 to be objectionable, but that same person has no problems with the recoil fo a 12-ga. 3.5" magnum goose loadthat in reality delivers three times the free recoil of a .30/'06!

IMO, when one is shooting any of the medium-power cartridges between .243" and .323" (6mm to 8mm) in caliber, using bullets of like construction and similar sectional density, if one places his/her shots correctly, the actual difference in results when shooting the same game is largely academic.

As a matter of fact, arguing which is better, a .308, .30/'06, 7X57mm, 7mm/'08, .270 or .280, etc. etc., is about as sensible as debating how many angels can stand on the head of a pin. A lot of fun, perhaps, but not much else.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:01 PM
DGH

DGH thinks Brutal Attack has way too much off time on his hands Actually, everything he said is correct, but Shato Davis said it better.

I use the common sense comparison - will the rifle shoot a bullt that kills my game at the range I hunt - if the answer is yes, comparison done

As to load data for the 270 vs .308 - it completely depends on what you buy, or load. The Hornady light mags for .308 are 3,000 fps for 150 grain BTSP and 2,880 for 165 grain BTSP And, I guess load data opens a whole new can of worms - huh; and barrel length, weight of rifle = felt recoil, bullet selection, placement of bullet, range to game, etc.

I don't get to hunt until Saturday, so very bored deer hunter here

Old 09-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

I only want add one thing to all the good replies here. I recently have gotten back into reloading, well I say that but in reality all I loaded for was my 7mm mag. about 18 years ago. Although I have loaded thousands of shotgun rounds.But anyway, I own a .300 win mag, a 30-06, a 35 rem. and that 7mm, and have also killed deer with the .270 and the ole 30-30. I love all my guns and greatlyenjoy using them, but when you really get to studying reloading you begin torealize that all a person really needs is the 30-06, or better yet the .308. Honestly, I think that if all hunters/shooters took the time to study reloading their jaws would hit the floor thinking to themselves "why am i shooting this super duper latest greates ultra super butt kicking magnum".
Old 09-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ballistics Argument Rational

You got that right. Out to 300 yards which is out to about the max that the average hunter can hit the kill zone. 200 hundred may be close yet. When you exceed that range then there is some benefits to rifles like the 300 mags and such. And again, the calibers from 6.5 on up will all do the job in the hands of a decent hunter. I would not suggest that the gun companies stand still and not strive to make good products or new products, thats how we got where we are today. However, beyond 400 yards, things really get iffy and the hunter who can not practice at those ranges really should not even attempt such shots. Even practice won't remove the effects of wind heat vapors,altitude and animal movement and much more.