Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Savage Package Guns >

Savage Package Guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Package Guns

Old 01-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Savage Package Guns

I am looking at buying a .223 savage 11fxp3 package or the 11fns(no package) in the near future. Is the package worth the little xtra $. The package comes with mounts, rings, sling, 3-9x40 scope.

Is the gun a good one???

I am also thinking Howa, tikka, and NEF handi.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:09 PM

Default RE: Savage Package Guns

I bought a savage package and feel that the rifle is very very acuret,
but the scopes are not very good at all, but they will get you by until you can get some thing better. I think for the money it would be very hard to find a better rifle. Some people say that the guns are ugly, but they look very good to me. Mine shoots one inch groups at 100 yards straight out of the box.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:41 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I bought the 30-06 111 package. I really like it. I have to disagree on the scope. No, it's not the big 50mm that I eventually want to put on there, but the 3-9x32 that came with mine is crystal clear, hasn't fogged up on me, even in the rain, and very easy to use.

David
Old 01-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

Buy it and you will be happy . The 223 has so little recoil,the scope will just fine. I mean ,due to recoil and eye brow kisses.!

Mounting Man/in PA.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:25 PM

I am going to both agree with everyone else so far...the Savage is well worth the price (wont comment on the scope/rings/mounts as they are all a matter of opinion), and also will give you a word on the Howa. Usually, a little cheaper than the Savage. Also very worth the money. Very much like the Savage in many ways, but like I said, at a little less price. Dont think either one will do you wrong.

One Shot, One Kill
Hunting is the one sport where, if you are playing right, the other team doesn't even know you're in the game.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine owns a 7mm Rem. Mag. package gun; the gun is ok but the scope and mounts are junk. They didn't make it through the break-in period. Good luck
Old 01-08-2003, 07:01 AM

I bought one in 243 and put a different scope on it and kill groundhogs consistantly at 300 yds it shoot real good

Old 01-08-2003, 09:46 AM

I bought one of the .270 package guns and wasted a box of ammo trying to find paper with what was supposed to be a bore sighted at the factory scope. Even as I worked it out more and more I wasn't seeing the accuracy I expected from the rifle. I took it by the local gun shop where they bore sighted it AGAIN for me but the improvement was minimal. The shots seemed to hit all over the place. It certainly wasn't in the same class as my Dad's model 99 lever action Savage in .308.
I sold it shortly after that experience.
Most people seem to report very good experiences so mine may have just been the one bad apple that every company throws out from time to time. I'm not ruling out myself or my inexperience with scoped firearms as contributing factors though.

"The right of a nation to kill a tyrant in case of necessity can no more be doubted than to hang a robber, or kill a flea."
John Adams
Old 01-08-2003, 11:25 PM

I also had a savage package ( 7 rem mag ) the most accurate rifle I ever had. As soon as I got rid of the mounts and scope. The Simmons 3x9x32 was garbage. I put a 3x9x40 Tasco World Class Plus LEOPOLD 2 pc
mounts. What a differance. Then I got stupid. Sold it. Wanted something a little nicer looking.