Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What group size is your rifle shooting? >

What group size is your rifle shooting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What group size is your rifle shooting?

Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default What group size is your rifle shooting?

I'm just curious what types of groups you are getting with your hunting rifles at 100 yards. I was out the other day with my Savage 110 with the Accutrigger in .30-06 and I was only able to get the 5 shot group down to about 1.75". Most of the groups were in the 2" range. I see tests in the gun mags and they are getting MOA groups a lot of times. Makes me think I'm doing something wrong, but I know I'm not.

B=Breathe
R=Relax
A=Aim
S=Squeeze

I'd like to know what you are getting and what you consider unacceptable at 100 yards.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What group size is your rifle shooting?

Everyone on the internet claims to have sub-moa rifles. The vast majority do not. Most rifles shoot 1-2" with factory ammo which is more than acceptable for hunting in most cases. A rifle must consistently shoot sub-moa 5 shot groups for it to be a sub-moa gun. If it does it on occasion, its not a sub-moa gun. Most shooters are not qualified to consistently shoot moa.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that most probably exagerrate a bit with regards to accuracy. I'll also say that most rifles are inherently more accurate than the people who squeeze that triggger. I know what my rifles will do and what they won't. I have a Win Model 94 that will only shoot 5" groups at 100. To me this is terrible, but I did bag a doe at 85 yards with it last year. I'm trying to sell it right now so that I can get something more accurate in the same lever action design, such as a Marlin 336. After many attempts at groups, over 80 shots to date. This rifle is just not a good shooter for me.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am with Ridge Runner repeatable 1" or better for my main used CF's. Not a requirement for hunting but rather the shooter. I used to dislike shooting paper but I overcame that fear and have worked hard to become a good paper shooter, I just expect a certain level now. I handload and since do so finding absolute accuracy has been a much easier task, not to mention it forced me to deal with my paper punching and enjoy shooting.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was doing some work on the farms Saturday, decided to check my rifle...Set up my bench and went out to 250 yards, shot twice, got on the 4-wheeler to check, I had one shot an inch to the left, one an inch to the right and both were one inch low of the center of the bull...I put it up.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I try a lot of rifles. The ones I keep will shoot right at an inch or less for three shots at 100 yards.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have spme trouble swallowing a lot of the stories that show up on here about out-of-the-box rifles that shoot sub-MOA with factory amminition. Now, I'm not saying ther aren't some out there, but this forum seems to contain almost all of them that were ever made. Yes, some custom manufacturers and even an off-the- shelf brand will claim to guarantee MOA. This, however, is not the case for the everyday Remchester that we hear so much about. If you don't handload, and don't get your 6lb. trigger fixed, those sub-MOA's are mostly listed under "Fiction".
Old 09-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

*Three quarter* inch at 100 yds using Federal Vital Shoks -- .270 130 grains Nosler Ballistic Tips.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

All of my bolts will shoot an inch or a hair less on the days I can hold my end of the deal up.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:18 PM

Mine consistantly touch each other at 100yds. Tikka T3 300 win mag hand loads 180gr Nosler CT Failsafes 76 gr IMR 4831 powder.

Quick Reply: What group size is your rifle shooting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.