Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Two Questions Caliber and Scope >

Two Questions Caliber and Scope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Two Questions Caliber and Scope

Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Two Questions Caliber and Scope

ORIGINAL: zeus50
I won the .270, so if Gander Mtn doesn't let me trade calibers I wont be upset...buuuutttt if they do....i dn't know why i have my heart set on a .308....
thoughts?
Well if your heart is set on the .308 then see if they will switch calibers for you. In all honesty it's a toss up between the two, both have ammo available everywhere and both offer plenty of different size bullets for different applications. I own both and I would take the .308 over the .270simply because of the shorter action and all around configuration of my ModelSeven.

As far as scopes go just make sure you get a quality scope. Someone has already given you sound advise when it comes to buying scopes......"pay as much if not more than whatyou paid for thegun."I like Leupolds however I have noticed (maybe it's just me) that the quality is not what it used to be. This is judging by my newer VX-II and VX-III vs my older VX's. I am also a big fan of the Nikon line of scopes. Here you can get away with spending a little less and still get a quality scope. I have Nikons on both my H&R slug gun and Remington Model Seven.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have a few choices if the shop carries some of these calibers. Not all of them will suit your needs but some certainly would.
The 270 and 308 are great choices... but on the link below you'll see a few others.
Good luck and congrats on the raffle win!

http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._SPS_specs.asp
Old 08-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

270 Bushnell 3200 Scope 3x9x40. You will never need anything else.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: James B

270 Bushnell 3200 Scope 3x9x40. You will never need anything else.
Agree.

Though since you mentioned a desire for a 7mm 08 and see it is available in the 700sps. You may want to opt for it, if a chambering switch is possible. Something to chew on.

Also if you have budgeted $400 for a scope then you really should take a look at the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40. IMO excellent value, much like the elite 3200.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its available in 7MM-08. I have one.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

The .308 is certainly an excellent cartridge, but I have had great performance out of the .270 as well. Either would do for your uses, including elk, black bear, and moose.

Nikon scopes are acceptable, but I have some issues with Nikon customer (non) service, so I'd buy a Leupold. I have a number of variable-power scopes, but find that whenver game appears, I just use the scope set on whatever powder it happens to be on at the time. So I've started putting 6X fixed-power scopes on all my new, serious hunting rifles. 6X is not too much, even at ranges under 50 yards!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

but find that whenver game appears, I just use the scope set on whatever powder it happens to be on at the time. So I've started putting 6X fixed-power scopes on all my new, serious hunting rifles. 6X is not too much, even at ranges under 50 yards!
Eld,

I totally agree with that statement and have been feeling that way for a long time now. It seems that even when I have time to dial in the scope it always ends up around 6x. Very interesting that you would write what I've been thinking for a while.

I've been faced with this decision a few times and I've always elected to go with the variable. Maybe next time I'll stick to my guns.

Tom
Old 08-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have recetly (last 2 years or so) gotten on a kick of collecting vintage Weaver scopes, and specifically but not exclusively look for the Post and Cross hair reticles... just cause I've learned to use them and just am most comfortable with them.
But, I have mostly been picking up the fixed power K2.5's, K3's, K4's and K6's for the exact reason stated above. When I'm not tempted to fuss with adjustments it takes one issue out of the problems that could arise.
I used to use only fixed 4's .. but now with 54 yr old's eyes the 6's seem more appropriate for me.
Additionally I have gotten a V7, V8, a KV (which switches form 2.5 or 3 to 5 power...not a variable, but an either / or).
These older scopes are not as bright or as sharp as the finest scopes out today, but in many cases they are better than a lot of the middle of the road stuff being sold, and much cheaper if you don't mind dealing with a little "road wear". Adds character I think.
Besides, any of the older American made steel tube Weavers are often worth being restored and repaired by
Weaver Scope Repair Service
1121 Larry Mahan Dr
Suite B
El Paso, TX 79925
(915) 593-1005

Old 08-31-2007, 02:29 PM
DGH

I own four of the calibers mentioned, and baliistically they are basically identicalwith one significantdifferences - neither the 270 or the 7-08 has the bullet selection in the upper bullet weight rangesthe .308 or the 06 has. But, for deer, black bear etc. - that is not really significant.As ipscshooter said, put em in a dark room, pull one out and go hunting - neither you nor the game will know the difference. As to glass, I shoot nothing but leupold vari xII and vari xIII, 3 x 9 x40 or 3.5 x 10 x 50.

As an aside, when I bought my last rifle, I had the same choices, except I had to purchase mine :-)I chose the Weatherby Vanguard SMOA synthetic and stainless in the .308. Througheither reloading and / or over the counter ammuntion, Ican get upto 3,000 fps with a 150 grain BTSP if I so desire, or I can move way down to plinking loads. I topped it with a leupold 3.5 x 10 x 50 varixIII.

Having ranted on and on, .........if I was given a .270 - I think I would just shoot the darned thing and be the happiest guy in the field.

END OF MY RANT!!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL I know the feeling on the old scopes. I have a little of everything scopewise and I think I like the old Redfield Tracker 2x7 better than any of them. Damn shame it was made 40 or so years ago and I cant buy anymore. That thing is an absolute gem..I have never had a scope zero that easily. Lookin at the prices on ebay..apparently a lot of people are liking the old scopes.

Quick Reply: Two Questions Caliber and Scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.